(Build Log) Bloodlines

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Pwnography6, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

Ok so i have taken on a project and i thought it would be cool to do a build log.

I want to create an Aliens (As in the movie) inspired HAF-X. I have been planning this build for over
    6 months so it should be a really fun one.

-SPECS-

CPU- AMD Phenom II x 4 975
    MOBO- Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    GFX- Asus 6950 Direct CU II 1g
    RAM- Corsair Vengence 1600mhz (2x2g)
    HD- Saegate Barracuda (160g)
    CASE- Coolermaster HAF-X
    PSU- XFX 650w XXX Edition

-COOLING-

KIT- XSPC Rasa RS240 Kit
    RAD- Extra XSPC RS120 Rad
    FITTINGS- Ek Compression, XSPC Compression, Enzotech 45's,
    HOSE- Primochill (UV Green)
    ORGANISM KILLER- Silver Kill Coil
    FANS- Gelid Wing 12 120mm x 4, Bitfenix 120mm, Stock CM Fans

I have so many lights and stuff sitting around i wont type it all out gotta keep some surprises.

Will be working on this build for the next month or so Hopefully you all enjoy the Build Log.

UPDATES
    Just got a shiny new camera so taking pics is gonna be a lot easier.

Ok so I got my case a few days ago and was so excited to start I didn't even take photos of it stock:)
    [​IMG]

But we all know how they look stock so here is one stripped .(My girlfriend was pretty horrified to
    see me pull this out of the box and just start tearing it up for painting and modding.)
    [​IMG]

After I tore the case done i preped it all up for painting with a bit of a sand and scuff.
    [​IMG]

Then on to primer so far Iv only got done the primer on the metal parts (2 coats).
    These pics are of the 1st coat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a couple other panels im working on.
    [​IMG]

I also built a DIY spray booth just for this job.(Truth be told I got sick of cat hair on everything I paint.)
    It's just a old psu with some 120mm fans hooked up works fairly well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got bored while I was waiting for the paint to dry and after a quick search I decided to stealth my DVD drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now will add some more Paint pics when im done with the paint then on to some sleeving!!! (and waiting for parts in the mail.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

UPDATES 2

Ok so I have been flat out this week got HEAPS done all over the show. Been painting working on the window mod, sleeving + Lots and lots of parts
    have arrived. So let's get to the pics....

Super sexy motherboard and some more watercooling stuff that has shown up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is some more painting photos I finally got some colour on the plastic parts . As of this moment paint is done (Except for 1 HDD tray.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All thats left to do on these is Cut and polish which will be done late next week ounce everything has cured nicely.

So waiting for paint to cure is no fun at all luckily my 550 paracord (Lime green off coarse) showed up yesterday so I made a good start on sleeving still
    waiting on heat shrink, so these are only half sleeved got everything done bar my ccfl's and fans which are all still in the mail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sweet handmade (im not paying 15 dollars for a pin remover) Molex tool works great all it is , is a screwdriver + a steady dremmel.
    [​IMG]

Here is all the parts iv sleeved so far.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully my heatshrink shows up soon so I can get some better photos of all this sleeving mayhem .Allthough It will be nice not to have to sleeve for
    a few days cause my fingers are really sore.

I also have started making some custom nameplates. They don't look like much at the moment but they will have a nice metal finish maybe some
    blood splatter havent decided yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other major work iv got done this week is chop out the side 200mm fan Since we are watercooling this panel was pretty unneeded +
    it look heaps better when you can see all that hard work inside. Still waiting on my acrylic to show up so it's just a chop out for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chopping this out was a total head game these panels are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to replace in australia so failure wasn't an option ended up coming out
    great. Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Ok so thats it for this weeks updates hopefully more presents show up
    in the mail this week and I will add a lil more progress to the build log.

I'm at about the halfway point with this build and am starting to get very excited and anxious to see how it's all gonna look when put together.

3. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

UPDATES 3 12/08/2011

OK ..... I have been flat out on top off day to day living I got the flu which never helps anyone but iv tried to soldier on none the less.
    Got quite a bit off stuff done over the last 2 weeks and the project has finally had parts put back into it.Which as anyone who has done any kind of
    modding its nice seeing it go in instead off coming out.

So down to the fun my acrylic FINALLY showed up a month after ordering it, good thing I wasnt in a hurry. The place I got it from also refused to
    cut it to my template so I recieved my square plastic and cut it to size.
    [​IMG]

Then it was a as easy as a couple holes in the acrylic pop the clips back through add a bit off u-channel and we have a full side window panel for my haf-x.
    [​IMG]

Also got my handmade nameplates finished this week and they came up better than I had hoped.I used 3m Dinoc brushed aluminium film , Some
    red model aeroplane paint for the blood splatter (I can't remember the brand.) and A.C. Ryan Blackmagic 2 Uv green paint. Which isnt the nicest
    thing to work with but glows like fallout.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A while ago I got an idea to carbon fibre a few bits and pieces and my film finally showed up so iv done the duct and a few case highlights and also
    finished up some sleeving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some green leds into the top 230mm fans.
    [​IMG]

I wanted my rad mounted flush onto the case so i needed a way to mount a 120mm fan onto the outside back of the case I am waiting on some black
    screws so this is only half on at the moment but this is what I decided on.
    [​IMG]

Also added some green grommets onto all my fittings.
    [​IMG]

So the other big overhaul this week is i got some off my painting done. Polished lovely and installed I still have all the plastic parts to finish but
    there are a few shots off some finished paint and some stuff installed enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as off now im only waiting for some molex plugs my graphics card,cpu,fans,switches and some other minor stuff we should be all done in the next
    fortnight. Getting up to the exciting part off the build and really looking forward to the end result.

4. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

FINISHING IT ALL UP

So like always it's been a while between posts.... but it's finally all done and im really happy with the end results. So first il show you what I had to finish up.

This is a danger tape sort of design I decided on for my "active" HDD tray it came up pretty nice in the end. Was a lot of taping involved .
    [​IMG]

Also decided to make a Plate for my badges.
    [​IMG]

Now this is another idea I have been toying with since the start of this build and wasn't really sure if the software was gonna work and if it was gonna
    fit in the space I had intended for it. It's just a 4x20 LCD screen I picked up off Ebay for $15 . I loved the idea off being able to display my stats on the
    inside and this does it all . Was
    a really tight fit and the software took some tweaking for win 7 but I like it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we finally get up to some more installing and some leak testing/bleeding. As are most people fist time water cooling those first few pours of water
    into the res feel really unnatural, but after a few hours of leak testing im confident iv got a nice sealed up system. Im really loving the temps
    im getting on water it's great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read on to next post for final results....

5. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

FINISHED...FOR NOW

Ok so everything is hooked up loop is filled and bled only thing to do is boot it all up... 1st boot perfect except for a really loud ticking I paniced
    and turned it all off. Turns out it was nothing major just one of my temp probes hitting a fan . A bit more thermal tape and we try again perfect 2nd
    boot nearly silent. Im sure you all know that feeling off a perfect boot after a long build is awsome.

Pre-Boot
    [​IMG]

2nd Boot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More detailed shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ALL DONE
    [​IMG]

This build has been great fun Thanks for checking it out. Im in the process of rebuilding the loop so il post updated pics soon.:D

6. Darkness Born

Darkness Born Member

looks fan-bloody-tastic mate! really well done. Any reason for not going with the nvidea edition haf-x?

What is the thing in the cable cover box?

This makes me wanna get the last bits into my green sig haf-x build!

7. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

Thanks bud. The thing on the psu cable cover is a LCD smartie (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-LCD...646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519b7436be) it connects via usb headers and gives you all sorts of cool readouts.
    [​IMG]

+ the reason I didn't go the Nvidia edition is The case work is green and not the mesh , Opposite sort off layout to mine and I wanted to get a bit more experience with proper painting and polishing Techniques.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

Ok so finally got all my new watercooling gear together so I can start the rebuild of this thing. Got an absolute huge 2 days ahead with draining, stripping and full rebuilds of 2 water systems (This and my test rack is inheriting the rasa kit) + some sleeving.

Gonna add some more red either this week or next as Im ditching the UV as it doesn't throw out the light I want. Rebuild is gonna consist of all new loop which is also gonna cool the motherboard (As far as I know I will have the first watercooled sabertooth 990FX board.)

I have a 955 BE unclocked sitting there to so I may replace my 975 BE with that for some OC fun aswell. Here are a few pics of what has built up around my office for the rebuild just to give you a few clues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Il keep everyone updated as work starts happening with some more pics aswell :)

9. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

MOAR I SAY! MOAR!!!

10. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

So after an Epic long day yesterday (think I got to bed round 4) I got it all done.All that is missing is my New lights. Run into a few problems with pump placement and the Koolance mosfet and NB just wouldn't co-operate but I got there in the end and am now running a fair bit cooler!

So first I stripped it all down and drain my rasa kit off. Took a few photos of the heatsinks and board because Iv never seen anyone cool this board so it may be of use to someone else.

Last Pics Of Mobo....
    [​IMG]
    Back thermal tape on heatsink-
    [​IMG]
    Mobo Mosfets and NB
    [​IMG]

All pretty Stock Now for the Blocks....This was NOT fun at all. The heat Transfer plate I got was to long I knew this before I got it the Sabertooth 990 FX needs a 12.5mm Plate . oolance only had 14mm and 10.something. I thought longer was better than too short so got the 14. I measured before I bought and new id have the clearance problem was lack of mounting options.

I managed to rig it so the NB and Mosfet block used the same mounting posts. Originally I was going to use the Ek NB block but after building there is no way it would have fitted on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then we fitted on the EK Supreme Block which was easy as in comparrison to the Blocks id just done and the XSPC rasa id done in the past.
    [​IMG]

Skip forward a few more hours ,Relising around 10 PM that I had no rear mount options for my new RX120 Drilling into my case at around 10:30PM Neighbours love me. Nearly the same again around 11 for the pump but we will get to that.
    Cables run tube run Leak testing and bleeding begins !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this next photo you can see how I mounted my pump and rear Rad notice the new Airplex 360 up top to. This is the fattest 360 I could fit in this without mod.I added another temp sensor too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All closed up and Living to fight another day. Thanks for reading! (Il add pics of the new lighting when it arrives.)

[​IMG]

11. brayway

brayway Member

Looks great!
    Nice job on not overdoing the green too, seen it done before with waaay too much green :p:shock::tongue::thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

OOPS!!! Turned out I majorly No0bed up. Koolance block is on the chokes instead of the VRM's LOL. No big deal il swap them tomorrow but on a even wierder note with folding going on all day and a misplace vrm sink I am STILL getting better temps system wide without the asus heatsinks LOL.

I guess I learned a lesson about riggin watercooling at 1 AM DONT DO IT. Will post pics ounce everything is how it should be.

13. BigDave

BigDave Member

Nice looking rig sir. :thumbup:
    You have to post here now as well :lol:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=986639

14. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

I know it's shamefull. Lost some sleep over it. At least I didn't fry nothing. :o

15. OP
    OP
    Pwnography6

Pwnography6 Member

k so got my sig rig up and running again she running a rosshair V now.Pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. StreekG

StreekG Member

I like the green spray job on the case, i'm not 100% on it, however green is still my favourite colour and you've done a really good job with it. Awesome rig :)

17. www.com.au

www.com.au Member

This build is terrific! Looks like your hard work has payed off. That idea to put the rear 120m fan on the outside is great, I can't believe I've never thought of that myself before.

18. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

Nice work! Out of curiosity how does the res go in regards to installing video cards?

19. Tortured-x

Tortured-x Member

love the build, not too keen on the name plates but, dunno why they just don't look right to me.

looking forward to more updates :)

20. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi there looks great. The tape you use to hold the sensor on the fan is that just duct tape or is it heat resistant tape?