Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4g! Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

If your new to the idea of using 4g as a replacement for your current nbn solution, please read the original thread here to get up to speed as everything in that thread applies in this thread too.

Original build log:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/build-log-bye-bye-nbn-hello-4g.1258801/

Now that we're all up to speed on with the show!

I have been using the setup in the above log for almost a year now with very much a seamless faultless experience. Voice chats in discord have been perfect, video conferences fine, and gaming occasionally when I have time has been good as well.

Having said all that, the one major draw back from the above log was the cost. I'm on a mission this year to slice all my expenses and Internet was on the top of my list. In the log above I was paying for 2 x 200gb mobile broadband month to month contracts at $60 each, totalling $120 per month for 400gb.

The reason for this was at the time of writing, optus didn't offer a high performance mode option that could compare with the Nighthawk m1, and sadly they lock their wireless mobile sims to only optus huawei modems. All that however has just changed...

Enter the huawei B818 modem.

This CAT19 modem is the fastest consumer modem on the market today, and very affordable for only $200 or so.

So, I took the plunge and decided on a whim (based on my quite extensive experience with this stuff now) to cancel my two mobile broadband contracts and purchase the optus 500gb mobile wireless plan which is currently on offer at 20% off, making it around $65 odd dollars a month, effectively halving my Internet costs, and providing 100gb more data.

Makes logical sense but does it perform? Well, the old enclosure was purpose built for the Nighthawk, and as such there was no way the new modem was going to fit. This meant a new enclosure would need to be constructed, and so begins this build log. I don't imagine it will be anywhere near as detailed as the last, mostly because I ported all the internals from the old enclosure to the new, but it's still going to provide value to those that device to go down this path, and I imagine there will be quite a few of you once we see the results ;)

I'll leave this space here for the build log and continue shortly as I'm currently on mobile and doing my best to jot stiff down!

armers, Agg, Nobby6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

So NBN performance hasn't improved in your area yet?
    I feel the amount of complaining about NBN has lessened these past 12 months or so - as backhaul throughput slowly ramps up to accommodate.

I can't imagine going back to data caps, especially when the whole family is constantly streaming/downloading/gaming.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. caspian

caspian Member

his issue was never backhaul related. he was on FTTN and had a long line.

Pugs likes this.
  4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Haven’t read your entire history of getting 4G, but did you look into paying to get fibre laid?

5. bcann

bcann Member

I've seen very few "lay fibre/Technology upgrade" quotes that people have publicly shown, that are less then 4 0's BEFORE the decimal. For your average jo, thats just way to extreme.

6. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

So you are on the limited 12/1 style plans or the full speed ones?

I am doing a similar thing and have a "device" data plan to avoid the caps on home internet style plans but maybe that has changed.

7. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Definitely not on the 12/1 speed plan. They don't rate limit anymore on wireless broadband. That was a vivid wireless thing

DivHunter likes this.