1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4g! Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

If your new to the idea of using 4g as a replacement for your current nbn solution, please read the original thread here to get up to speed as everything in that thread applies in this thread too.

Original build log:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/build-log-bye-bye-nbn-hello-4g.1258801/

Now that we're all up to speed on with the show!

I have been using the setup in the above log for almost a year now with very much a seamless faultless experience. Voice chats in discord have been perfect, video conferences fine, and gaming occasionally when I have time has been good as well.

Having said all that, the one major draw back from the above log was the cost. I'm on a mission this year to slice all my expenses and Internet was on the top of my list. In the log above I was paying for 2 x 200gb mobile broadband month to month contracts at $60 each, totalling $120 per month for 400gb.

The reason for this was at the time of writing, optus didn't offer a high performance mode option that could compare with the Nighthawk m1, and sadly they lock their wireless mobile sims to only optus huawei modems. All that however has just changed...

Enter the huawei B818 modem.

This CAT19 modem is the fastest consumer modem on the market today, and very affordable for only $200 or so.

So, I took the plunge and decided on a whim (based on my quite extensive experience with this stuff now) to cancel my two mobile broadband contracts and purchase the optus 500gb mobile wireless plan which is currently on offer at 20% off, making it around $65 odd dollars a month, effectively halving my Internet costs, and providing 100gb more data.

Makes logical sense but does it perform? Well, the old enclosure was purpose built for the Nighthawk, and as such there was no way the new modem was going to fit. This meant a new enclosure would need to be constructed, and so begins this build log. I don't imagine it will be anywhere near as detailed as the last, mostly because I ported all the internals from the old enclosure to the new, but it's still going to provide value to those that device to go down this path, and I imagine there will be quite a few of you once we see the results ;)

I'll leave this space here for the build log and continue shortly as I'm currently on mobile and doing my best to jot stiff down!

armers, Agg, Nobby6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

So NBN performance hasn't improved in your area yet?
    I feel the amount of complaining about NBN has lessened these past 12 months or so - as backhaul throughput slowly ramps up to accommodate.

I can't imagine going back to data caps, especially when the whole family is constantly streaming/downloading/gaming.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. caspian

caspian Member

his issue was never backhaul related. he was on FTTN and had a long line.

Pugs likes this.
  4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Haven’t read your entire history of getting 4G, but did you look into paying to get fibre laid?

5. bcann

bcann Member

I've seen very few "lay fibre/Technology upgrade" quotes that people have publicly shown, that are less then 4 0's BEFORE the decimal. For your average jo, thats just way to extreme.

6. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

So you are on the limited 12/1 style plans or the full speed ones?

I am doing a similar thing and have a "device" data plan to avoid the caps on home internet style plans but maybe that has changed.

7. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Definitely not on the 12/1 speed plan. They don't rate limit anymore on wireless broadband. That was a vivid wireless thing

DivHunter likes this.
  8. qwigybo

qwigybo Member

Perfect timing, I've had enough of my FTTN connection with its average speeds and frequent drop outs.
    Having said that my connection is probably a lot better than others @ 29/6 but I'm on a 50/20 plan, so no point connecting to 100/40 as I won't get any benefit.
    My mobile is with optus and I get 100/40 minimum when I run a speedtest during peak times just sitting in my lounge, my plan expires next week so I was looking to reconnect on their optus one $119 500gb service, and data sharing with an extra sim to run as home internet.
    I've had a quick look at the $65 500gb data plan you've suggested, and looks like I can data share with that so would give me 1tb p/m to play with :D
    Keen to see the updated results of the B818

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Awesome! Welcome to the club! I'll post a build update and speed results today. Been stupid busy but will make time in my dairy to get this done! Ps what mobile are you testing with? Cheers

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Optus have an “unlimited 5G plan” for $70pm (with a Nokia modem). They also have a 50Mbps speed guarantee (If you don’t get download speeds of at least 50Mbps, or you don’t receive a 5G signal, you can cancel your contract without cancellation fees when you return the 5G modem in good working order)
    Wonder if you can sign up even you can’t get 5G signal?

11. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Got a link? Sounds good!

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

13. slavewone

slavewone Member

This has also become super ideal for me too.

Let’s see what the second tech can tell me about the network side of my phone line first. It’ll be a no brainer if they really can’t fix it like the last tech suggested.

14. MELso76

MELso76 Member

A couple of things:
    1. 29/6 speeds sound like you're on a 25/5 AVC speed profile.
    2. Optus wireless broadband data (as opposed to Optus mobile data and mobile broadband data) can't be shared. See https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1567...

15. qwigybo

qwigybo Member

Huawei mate 10 pro

They told me I couldn't sign up for 5G plan unless I was in an eligible area, but chat person was giving me a lot of copy-paste answers so may be worth investigating

Definitely on shitty FTTN 50 plan just too far away from node upload_2020-1-28_19-26-56.png
    I'll have to confirm with them on saturday when I go into store as chat person said I could and they mention data pooling services in their T&C's

Attached Files:

16. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

just tell them that you live at X address, but you are actually staying at Y address...

17. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Ok so a long-awaited update.

The basic premis of this build was the same as the last:

Get the modem up on a mast to maximize its reception to all bands given I live under a color bond roof and this severely hinders signal.

The issue I faced here was the old enclosure was too small for the new B818 modem. So, new enclosure time. Essentially the new enclosure used all the parts from the old enclosure including fan, thermostat, etc. I won't bore you all too much with the details as the new build is based on 150mm PVC pipe and fittings. This made the build super simple, but also super expensive (150mm pipe is hexy!!!)

Here is the new build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose the big question many are asking is how does the new modem and plan perform? Well, here is the first speed test I ran once it was all connected to the internal network and external antennas:

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I am ecstatic with these results, and truth be told I have actually gone a little faster at times but am yet to break the 200Mbps barrier (a challenge for another day).

The outcome? I have reduced my bill by 50% (going from $125 to $65 a month), and increased my data cap from 400GB to 500GB. I now NEVER drop below 100Mbps Down and 20Mbps up, no matter what time of the day, which is a vast improvement over what I was previously seeing (with speeds varying from 70Mbps down to 30Mbps regularly).

Overall I am very happy with the result and highly encourage and can safely say the new B818 modems from Optus are the real deal, they outperform and surpass the NightHawks now, and are supported on the Optus Wireless plans so its win win for anyone with sucky NBN!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  18. lxboston

lxboston Member

Great work. I’ve been using a Telstra M1 for a few years now in Richmond pooled with our company Telstra phone data, getting 115/40 consistently. We recently tried 5g in Richmond with a htc hub, but I can’t get it much above 200-250 down and mostly it’s poorer than the m1 still averaging 60 sometimes. I think our office is just outside of their coverage map so hopefully shouldn’t be long.

Re optus I’m currently at home paying $105 a month for 100/5 cable. The upload could be better. What’s the easiest way to Speedtest optus Mobile in your area if you arent with them for phone?

Also how much were your external antennas and do they connect to the m1?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  19. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Looking at $224 for antennas.

https://onwireless.com.au/14dbi-4gx-4g-3g-all-band-700-2700mhz-mimo-antenna.html

If you take a look at my original thread the entire thing is about the m1 and these antennas :)

20. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Telstra has functioning 5G towers in the Epworth Hospital, Murphy St (near Mountain Goat) and Swan St (in luxury car ally).

Have a look at RFNSA...