1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4g! Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 14, 2020.

1. qwigybo

qwigybo Member

Well got my b8 over the weekend and trying to get the settings right in it atm.
    do you know if there is a way to change the band it's operating on ?
    currently set on band 7, 4g only no 2300mhz, auto network search... wasn't giving me a signal on 2300mhz option

I've just got it sitting on my kitchen bench with no external antenna and compared to my FTTN connection... 2x d/l rate and 7x upload speed
    I'm using the built-in wireless network functionality,
    but compared to my mobile which is 4 feet from the router I get 106 d/l and 45 u/l so I feel there's a tweak to be made in the router settings.
    upload_2020-2-2_15-31-49.png

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Try LTEInspector

https://www.lte-anbieter.info/lte-f...r-huawei-4g-router-Überwachungssoftware.4172/

Should be able to tweak bands with that. I tried it on b818 and it works

3. armers

armers Member

Yoodaa ; Hows this new modem and system going? I am looking at maybe going down this path. My NBN option is Cable (which has nothing wrong with it AFAIK) unfortunately there isn't a high speed high data package available to me for the price i want to pay. The optus 68 a month 500gig deal is actually cheaper then my ADSL connection and looks like a great deal. I just pray my tower can live up to these speeds.
    How does this compare to a wired internet connection, i assume you've had no issue streaming / downloading / general web?

4. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Zero issues mate. I work from home so am on voice and video conferences all day everyday. I've streamed with zero issues. Light gaming is good too (I don't game a lot at the moment but works OK for me when I do)

5. armers

armers Member

My usage is youtube streaming, spotify streaming, then forums and the like (as wells as a little P2P downloading here and there). I have a rock solid ADSL connection and initially waiting for some decent deals to come across the NBN world now that the different sped tiers have been announced.
    I did look into PTP wireless but no one covers my area so the next best thing for 100mbs down is 4G wifi.
    I'm currently on adsl2 and sync at 20mbs (close to the ex and on a clean main trunk) but pay 69 a month for unlimited, hence the apprehension to move to an NBN service. Yes i can double my speed for the same price but why would i when i can get 100mbs for 68 over 4G :D

I wonder if it is worth it just to test the speeds on the optus network, Im on Telstra myself so can't do a location comparison. The nearest Optus pole i think @~450mtrs and i have LOS on has L7 L18 L21 L23 & L26 on it so i have a bit of spectrum to play with. Its also ear marked for 5G as per RFNSA, no panels on there yet for the new gear.

Would love to be able to trial it... Might need to see if i can steal someones optus phone to do a speed test! :D

Cheers

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

It's the best way to be sure!

armers likes this.
  7. lxboston

lxboston Member

Cool. What’s luxury car alley? If you mean like the Ferrari shop etc, We are just on swan just between there and church.

Wasn’t all that impressive yet though. I climbed on our roof there and the signal was better for 5g, I got 5 bars up there. I haven’t tested it in peak time though but I did get 200/250 and about 40 up on the HTC hub. Maybe on the wrong end of the roof if there’s aerials on Swan. But inside the top floor only getting 60-120 and 20 up with only 4 bars.

Maybe it’s better with line of sight?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  8. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Yes, the strip where the Ferrari, Rolls, McLaren, Aston, Lambo and the like are. It's at 362 Swan St to be precise.

You should certainly point the modem towards the closest 5G tower (Swan St by the sounds of it), because 5G only operates on 3.5GHz which doesn't have impressive in building penetration (Telstra will repurpose 850MHz 3G to 5G in due course too)...

9. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I have picked up the same deal and it's working well, as well as it can anyway as I am technically in a "don't sell it to them" zone for Optus but it works better and more data than any other provider I've tried.

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Good stuff. Speed test results?

11. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Depends which way I waggle it in the air :tongue:

Works better in one room than the other, will test again but it is similar results to the Asus unit I have been running with a mobile plan.

12. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

for those wondering how the optus wireless home BB 5g plan works. Ive had many conversations with optus before getting an answer on why i cant get 5g home broadband but i get 5g on my mobile from the 5g enabled mobile tower at the end of my street. apparent optus home 5g broadband is a diff network to 5g mobile, and it in fact uses fiber to the tower which then acts as a access point for 5g home broadband. only a small number of towers have this enabled, and if you can get 5g on your mobile you may not be able to get 5g home broadband.

13. armers

armers Member

Hmmm miss read your post Ignore me :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  14. JamesR

JamesR Member

I think I need to do some speed tests at home.
    I’m in rural Vic on Fixed Wireless NBN, struggle to get anything more than 25mbps with Aussie Broadband. we use Fetch TV at home, which works fine, but wife and I tend to turn off wifi on our phones if we want to browse our phones and tv at same time.
    the Optus coverage map says we have good coverage, need to find someone on Optus mobile to check speeds.

15. aokman

aokman Member

Im on Optus 4G now 500GB and it hauls ass! Burn in hell NBN :lol:

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Whoa! That's insane!

17. aokman

aokman Member

I am seeing around 170mbit on average but yeah speeds are great in my area :D

armers likes this.
  18. zeggie

zeggie Member

Can anyone confirm that Optus 5G Home wireless will work in 4G areas? Posts elsewhere are suggesting order using an address that is in a 5G zone and that it will default to 4G if used at another address - I'm yet to see anyone confirm this?

19. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

my understanding is you cant get optus 5g unless you live in a 5g home wireless area. u cant just get it like their 4g wireless bb. it doesnt use the same 5g network as phones.

20. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Correct, correct, and no, it uses the same network as phones. It's just that, as Optus has mainly rolled out 5G on 3.5GHz, in building penetration is not that good meaning there's more coverage for mobiles...