1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4g! Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 14, 2020.

1. srey

srey Member

Hey guys,

The inlaws are moving to a new place on the NSW coast (south of Nambucca Heads) and it looks like NBN isn't currently available at their place and it'll likely be a few months before they can get something setup.

There's a few towers within ~5km, Telstra and Optus and although none of them have line of sight (I've done the link analysis) it still seems like trying 4g is going to be the best option for them in the short term.

At the moment I'm leaning towards picking up a B818 and a month-to-month SIM either from OVO (optus) or Telstra.
    What I'm interested in though is what the LAN wifi performance of the 818 is like? A mate runs a Nighthawk M1 and has found the wifi is patchy in his house, and I don't really want to mess around with trying to get bridge mode working on that unit.

Does the 818 wifi go ok, and is it simple enough to use it with a separate router if not? I can't find much info on its bridge mode options and don't want to deal with NAT issues for not real tech savvy users.

Cheers!

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

B818 can do Bridge Mode pretty easily

the WiFi is OK, how big is the house?

3. srey

srey Member

I haven't actually seen the place, but I believe it's 4 bedrooms, one level, so a reasonable footprint.

I actually picked up a B818 on the weekend, found one going cheap enough it seemed like a good bet. Can see that it does have a simple bridge mode option with the firmware this one is running so that's good.
    The other half will take it up to her folks when she visits next week so it'll just be a matter of seeing what signal is like in their location. We got a telstra sim for it and it's getting 95MB+ just sitting on my desk in the inner west, but that isn't exactly helpful info...

4. streetholden

streetholden Member

Are there still people running on 4G networks?
    Where i just bought a house, I cant get mobile broadband or a fixed line. I have the option of mobile data plans or skymuster. 2 things that are stupid expensive or slow/capped speeds.
    The only cost effective way i can get mobile data is going through a Optus reseller, Tangerine to be specific.
    There was a suggestion of Optus one plan, however after 12months it jumps to $119 a month.

Im well out of my depth in this situation and looking for advice/guidance.

5. caspian

caspian Member

6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you may need to have a read of the original thread - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/build-log-bye-bye-nbn-hello-4g.1258801/

but you'll need to find out where your closest Optus towers are, and then figure out whether you have decent line of sight to them

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

8. jedics

jedics Member

Hi guys

I have the B818 in my truck so it is going through two .6mm sheets of steel, if I move it 30cm to the roof outside I get a -20dBm RSRP improvement not to mention the 4x mimo capability I keep. I'm wondering if there is anything omni directional that would give me better results than the -60dBm signal I can get with the modem outside that isn't to big?

I can cut a hole in the roof and make a fibreglass/foam/fibreglass cover so the modem is still inside protected from the elements with its antennas protruding outside just past the steel roof profile. Fibreglass shouldn't interfere with the signal at all as I understanding it?

I'd like to avoid the directional antenna idea at least for now so Im not up and down the roof every new location I go to.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

The problem with high gain omni antennae is always the same no matter what particular RF you're trying to deal with. Picture the reception volume of any omni as a great big fat doughnut radiating out from the antenna. The higher the gain of the antenna, the thinner vertically that doughnut becomes. As a result of that, in a fixed installation, you get higher gain, but you get way less ability to deal with cell stations at differing vertical height relative to your antenna. And even then, a "high gain omni" is really not particularly high gain.

Sometimes (or even often) you're just better off having three radios and three 120deg sector antennae, and switching between them dynamically as you need them. but obviously the complexity goes through the roof (lol).

Personally I'd give it a go with a decent high gain omni and see if it's adequate at your sites, but just bear in mind the vertical space thing, it might well help you troubleshoot.

10. jedics

jedics Member

Im familiar with the basics you outline here but you didn't address my questions.

I can just 'give it a go' with some omni antenna but if its not decently better than the modem without being much higher then the expense isnt worth it...I may as well just cut the hole in the roof, make the cover and also have 4x mimo for free.

The B818 likely has at least a 5db antenna, maybe more, how tall is something better going to be on my roof? how much more money? Does its extra gain get un done by not having the 4x mimo anymore?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  11. streetholden

streetholden Member

So ive read both threads. A few people mention the Optus one plan for $65 a month. But what i just found out is that you need to pay an additional $15 a month for a data sim to put in the modem to share the data. Upping it to $80 a month for a year, then $134 a month after that.
    Sure its still about the same price as NBN ($79 a month) and a phone plan ($16 a month).
    But no guarantee that itll be atleast as fast due to tree coverage in the 10km line from home to tower.
    I think im going to have to suck it up as there arnt any other high data options unless i go a reseller.

12. jedics

jedics Member

I heard they put up the price of the plan and its quite a lot and your right your speeds are not guaranteed.

Mine vary a lot but for $68/500G a month and CAT19 Modem included I'm very happy over all especially in my situation where 4g is my only option for now...All I can say is don't get locked into anything, there are always better deals coming out all the time. Ive changed my plan 3 times in less than a year and each one was much better than the last.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  13. streetholden

streetholden Member

Well, signed up. Busted out the B818 modem i just bought. Put it out the front in without roof obstruction (at current house in town, not new house 50kms out) and ran a speed test.
    [​IMG]
    The variation between phones and modem (optus one plan, spintel plan (optus reseller)) and tests were anywhere from 0-5Mbps slower.
    This is just modem, no external antennas or effort put into location.
    Just need to save some bikkies to buy some antennas.

14. jedics

jedics Member

They aren't speeds to get excited about but it is easily enough to get your 500 gig's worth a month at least....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  15. streetholden

streetholden Member

I can assure you, i am not excited.

16. jedics

jedics Member

Can I ask what your RSRP is?

17. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you probably already have, but try as many different places in your house as possible, i found the best (non-antenna) spot in my house was in a bathroom upstairs, followed closely by downstairs in a loungeroom

18. srey

srey Member

Definitely. I posted above a bit about trying to setup a 4g home solution for the inlaws up on the NSW north coast. We initially had them on a Telstra SIM as it seemed like telstra coverage up there should be more robust, but speeds were all over the shop and pretty disappointing.
    Grabbed an Optus SIM to throw in and test and it was night and day difference. Still some fluctuation but hitting 30Mbps as a typical lower limit and closer to 100 when its up; easily enough for their web and netflix usage. Ended up putting them onTangerine as the pricing is way better than Optus and the service seems the same.

Really interesting thing was that the best reception happens at the end of the house that faces the most distant tower, and was suggested to have more obstruction in the line of sight. Definitely paid to play with different locations for the modem as they're now getting pretty reliable service without having to go down the external antenna route.

Stooge007 likes this.
  19. streetholden

streetholden Member

Guess its time for antennas.. This is pretty piss poor. And this is the best outcome. Ive put it outside.
    [​IMG]

20. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

You dont always connect to the closest tower as Mark Zuckerberg had Congress believe when he was defending Facebook's geo tracking, other factors come into play like rado paths and interference/noise