1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4g! Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 14, 2020.

1. caspian

caspian Member

nor is the little "reception" indicator" signal strength - it's more likely to be signal to noise ratio, which is what matters.

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

This. I connected to a tower 8KM away, even though the closest one was about 1KM away.

3. alexc

alexc Member

Just tacking my question on here: Anyone know of any unlimited 4G home broadband plans?

I think the answer is no, as I've been Googling. Sadly I can't get 5G yet. :)

4. alexc

alexc Member

So are you saying the Optus 5G modem fallback to 4G if it couldnt get a 5G signal?

I cant get 5G, but I get amazing 4G... however the datacaps are killing me.

This could literally be life changing if I could do that... :-D

5. alexc

alexc Member

Just readin old posts - is this still the case?

Can anyone confirm if they've tried this and had Optus pull the service?

I'm willing to give it a punt LOL

6. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I'd just wait until Optus refarms Band 40 to 5G or enables DSS, probably the latter so all the 4G modems wont suddenly be useless

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  7. oldguy_qld

oldguy_qld Member

keep thinking that...

8. alexc

alexc Member

I grabbed a used Optus B818 modem and chucked a SIM card into it.

It's been great! The best internet we've had in years, and 100% rock solid over the last >48hours!

I've got 2TB of shared data with a our business plan, and can get more with unlimited data days if I need it!

See ya later FTTN! :)

9. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what speeds are you getting?

and what were you getting on FTTN?

10. alexc

alexc Member

The most I've seen is 160Mbos down - when no one else was on the network, and it was outside of peak.

Generally if I run a speed test it's around ~50mps down. I've got 50 or devices on my LAN; kids gaming, office Macs, constant cloud backups and synching etc... so it's getting hit pretty hard 24/7

I did get an one occurance of a high ping issue for gaming. But the kids just tethered directoy off an old iPhone 6 with a data shared SIM card in it and it was fine. They've been doing that for months anyway, and they say it's way better than the FTTN.

But most of the time the Optus B8181 has been fine for Fortnite where latency and ping times matter! :)

[​IMG]

I've posted elsewhere in the main NBN thread about the hellscape that is my FTTN.

I did once upon a time get a solid 16 to 18Mbps down with FTTN, but now it's turned to total garbage over the last couple of months. So I've ditched it.

[​IMG]

I'm scheduled for a fibre upgrade in July 2022!

So I'll wait until then, and I'm hoping 5G will come my way super soon! We are just behind the ridge on a hill, so cant get 5G here yet! :)

Edit: in case anyone is interested, I'm double NATing into an Edgerouter and it's fine :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Stooge007 likes this.
  11. alexc

alexc Member

Anyone know if these are any good?

https://onwireless.com.au/4g-3g-omn...-indoor-desktop-mobile-broadband-antenna.html

I want to move my B8181 4G modem from by the window to my server cabinet which is in the garage, and covered by a metal roof...

I'm not really ready to go putting aerials on the roof at this stage :)

It's only $99 plus what ever patch leads id need and shipping.

Just wondering if it would be at all better than the built in aerials?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'd probly ask the Onwireless guys if you can, they're usually pretty helpful

13. resonance

resonance Member

Thought I’d chime in as I’ve recently moved rural and sorting out decent WFH Internet access. I got Voda, Optus and Telstra sims and used an old Android phone with the Cellular-Z app to work out with network was the best for me. Turns out it was Optus with Voda second (both 30-50Mbps). Telstra was pretty slow (10-15Mbps). It looks like the Telstra tower has an azimuth rad pattern that doesn’t point at us that much, but the Optus one does. Also the Optus tower has more bands - B1, 3, 7, 20, 28 I think. The Telstra one was only 28 and 3, Voda was 5 and 20 (or 28?).

The Telstra tower is much closer, around 1km and the Optus one is about 2km away.

We have a big house on over 10acres so I went around and tried heaps of spots.

Anyway I made a decision and signed up with Optus $65/mth, discounted by 10% with a B818 free on the contract. Plugged it in, put it on a window sill, straight away 50-75Mbps, which is more than our old NBN in Melbourne.

Now I’m looking at antennas, I’ll go with a low to medium gain directional one to improve SNR. Thinking to put my B818 out in the wood shed which is where I’ll mount the antenna (already a big pole next to the shed). Then run a CAT6 in a conduit to the house. Will let you all know how it goes.

Stooge007 and alexc like this.
  14. jedics

jedics Member

I haven't yet tried antennas with my B818 but definitely will at some stage as inside my truck is an RSRP of -20 less than when I put the modem outside because of the two .6mm steel sheets of the cool room panels. This led me to this mod of the B818:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ROUTERMODS...ei_b818_4x_external_antenna_modification_for/

Has anyone tried this and compared it to just using the two antenna outs already on the B818?

15. alexc

alexc Member

16. alexc

alexc Member

Damn - thats pretty full on :-D

17. jedics

jedics Member

D
    Did you read the amazon reviews? Doesn't inspire much confidence, Youve already ordered it so I look forward to seeing how you go but only a -10dbm improvement doesn't seem like much as one of the reviews reports with a B818 pictured.

Yeh that mod is a bit of a commitment :) I'd do it in a heart beat if there were definite speed improvements over just a 2x mimo vanilla antenna set up...

The biggest put off is I'd have to be without the modem for a while, no internet is not an option in my world....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  18. alexc

alexc Member

I've read other reviews. Didnt read the amazon ones.

I shall report back once it arrives! :)

19. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

On my phone i find i only get 4X4 MIMO when im within a few hundred meters from the tower, and even then it can depend on the immediate environment providing enough radio multipaths, also 4x4 is not in the original 4G specs so carriers dont have to cater for it and below 1GHz everything is 2x2 max as the wavelength is too long for the typical sized phone
    Not trying to be a wet blanket though, if the carrier has 4x4 on the tower and conditions are right, its a nice 2x speed increase, but so is chasing better SINR as going from QPSK to QAM64 is also a 100% speed boost

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  20. Mr B

Mr B Member