Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

NighHawk is currently at 45 degrees @ 10.15am in morning. Be very interesting to see what it gets to today. Will update throughout the day.

2. bcann

bcann Member

Lets face it, you wouldn't be on this journey if the libs didn't fuck it up, yeah you might have had to have made a certain part of this journey, likely due to a delayed installation time just to "Tide" you over, but you would've had (At least i assume as i have no idea where you live) likely wireless (That would've been better than it is currently as labour didn't want to push so many so fast onto it) or hopefully FTTP.

Unfortunately at some point in the future one of 3 likely outcomes will happen

1. Labour will win the upcoming election and revert to FTTH -- HIGHLY FRIGGEN unlikely.
    2. NBNCo will be sold as is, and how is (Likely to Telstra) and nothing will happen for a long time unless your in somewhere where real money can be made, then you *Might* get an upgrade
    3. NBNCo will be sold as is, and how is (Likely to Telstra) and there might some kind of legislation forcing an upgrade. -- Unlikely.

3. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Your absolutely right and this circles back to the whole purpose of this thread as you mention! Certainly glad I am on this journey!

I will be ordering the parts for phase 2 of the project today, being the antenna cables required to take advantage of the internal antenna ports in the NH. Woot!

EDIT: Apollo over at WP has done a heap of work on the internals of the NH, and I am reposting his link to the kit he sells here which I purchased to help support the R&D he has done to get to this point:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183651187710

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  4. shredder

shredder Member

Could probably shave a few degrees off by de-casing the NH, and giving it's board a bit more heatsinkage and direct airflow. But in the end an enclosure in direct sunlight is going to get hot. Leading to the other option - shading?

5. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yah I intend to shade the box, but DID want to at least put it through its paces to ensure it's capable of handling SOME environmentals.

So.....adding to your comment, and incorporating the last post detailing the kit I will be using, here is what the intention is once kit it installed:

[​IMG]

And for reference, here s the board and connectors:

[​IMG]

I will be adding a fan directly onto the PCB for great airflow, which should be more than sufficient given these can run without any fans.

someon3 and shredder like this.
  6. hairy

hairy Member

I was with vivid wireless until I saw this thread lol.
    swapped over to optus and get 36/4 on their huawei b525 out of the box.

chose the 500gig plan for 80 per month and have just ordered a mimo antenna to see if I can improve my numbers but I must say its already a huge jump from my 12/1 vivid plan.
    I think you could sell this setup as a kit and make a bit of cash out of this idea.

7. chip

chip Member

the connectors going into the board, are they MS-156 type? They don't look quite like u.fl connectors, the central contact seems different and the plugs definitely are.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  8. alt064

alt064 Member

I, fortunately, got lucky with the FTTN lottery. I would have preferred FTTC (FTTP is overkill, frankly, as an ex-network engineer, unless it's a multiparty building), but I can get 100/40+ theoretical from my 500m of Cu. It will gall you to know I only pay for 25/5, but I don't have the need to play e-games or run multiple 4K streams.

However, you only have to visit Whingepool (a very useful resource when I was deciding on who to choose for RSP and hardware), to know that many others of the more technically interested/literate are stuck on a very average copper line. A great disappointment, given the cost of the nbn has blown out enormously under the Malcom Turnbull's Mess (MTM) option, to more than was extrapolated for the pure-fibre model envisage by the Labor plan.

Whether that would have ever seen the light of day as costed is another, and now entirely hypothetical, story!

Meantime, my hat is off to people like Yoodaa and John K. for nicely done solutions... Cheers, guys!

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

When I lived in NZ we used to be jealous of Australia's internet.

Now I hear that NZ internet is better than Australia (I donno if that's true)

This is a slow day for me:

[​IMG]

It's really baffling at how much of a screw up NBN has been.

10. kieran

kieran Member

Hi Yoodaa. This is really cool. I'm also in the hills, a bit further west though. For privacy though, you need to black out the lat/long numbers in the "line of site" figures on the first page of your thread.
    We're still waiting, FTTC apparently in the first half of 2020... Attached to the Belgrave Telstra exchange. Hopefully it works well, we're surrounded by trees more so, can't get normal tv, on vast satellite, 4G can also be spotty...... FM radio is sheite.. love it here though. No need for tin foil hats here!
    ADSL at 11mbit is barely enough, but it works better than almost everything else!

11. Pugs

Pugs Member

The Liberals... end of story...

ae00711 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Update.

Guy wires will be installed today along with the black split conduit that arrived yesterday.

I've also been in touch with apollog from whirlpool who has sent my internal antenna kit. Hoping by next weekend we'll be testing 4 x mimo externals!

13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

This is fantastic to hear! Make sure you update us with your results once to get the antenna on. I have a feeling you'll do 50/10 ;)

14. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Wow, this thread got popular all of a sudden! Good job OP, really interesting. If I didn't have a reliable NBN connection I'd really enjoy setting up something similar.

A great option for the vast number of people out there still without NBN, one of my mates is still on ADSL - Not ADSL 2 or 2+, ADSL! Furthermore, it's unreliable as all hell. I might see if he wants to give something like this a go.

hairy likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I'm good .. But I'm not that good. Was that in gig town? (not sure of real name of town but saw doco on "gig town" in NZ)

16. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah i was in this town last november, backed up 2GB of photos to google backup in like 10 minutes over a council provided public free wifi in th centre of town with 4 other busloads of us off of a cruise ship, it was fucken awesome for free council wifi given how crowded it was with tourists fresh off of a cruise ship. Shit even the mall wifi was great down the road.

17. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

19. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks mate. This thread is moving at the speed of light! Or rf... ;) send him over to the thread if he needs help. Cheers!

20. Copie

Copie Member

No it is not. One does not simply have fast internet without it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019