Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hopefully it works out for you! No hats needed indeed. I cant even make or receive an Optus call from inside my house, yet get sweet 4g speeds on my roof. Go figure!

EDIT: Fixed LAT/Long issue. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Not well.

There are no Cat16 M2M industrial routers on the market AFAIK.

The M1 is the goods.

3. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Not sure yet, was just going to go for the cheapest netcomm, but most likely go used with whatever I can find. There is a range from different vendors but all are at least double and of the consumer/prosumer stuff. I was hoping to run a cable and have the device indoors and take the hit in performance, would be ~2m or so. I could probably find a way to reduce that to ~0.5m but it would living inside a steel box, afaik being industrial they are designed for higher operating temps, harsher conditions etc. I suppose only way to find out is to test. At least most of them have all the terminations for multiple ant. no hacking required.

Speed although nice isn't a top priority for me, I'm just happy to have access in remote areas. Won't be streaming movies or music for example was even considering an older 3G based M2M.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

3G has switch off dates being thrown around.
    Youd be better served on 4G or cat m1

5. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Small update today but received the antenna kit for the NH from ApolloG on Whirlpool. Also got a couple more antennas in the works but you'll have to wait for that news as its not yet confirmed. :)

7. hairy

hairy Member

just got my elcheapo antenna from ebay
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49dBi-4...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    threw it in my window and done some testing
    69/39 with 29ms ping.
    must say im wrapped!
    highly recommend anyone having issues with their home connection to look at this as a great alternative.

8. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

UPDATE:

OK so they say it doesn't hurt to ask right? Well, that's exactly what I did. As you may have noticed this thread is gaining some serious traction and attention which is wonderful (15k views!). Also to note is that on my mast I have 3 Antennas. The 2 monster LPDA bad boys and an 11dbi LPDA (plastic cone antenna).

With the upcoming version 2.0 tear down of the second NH to expose the extra 2 internal antenna ports, I am 1 antenna short, as I need 4 in total. So.....I reached out to Joe at onwireless.com.au and just asked him if he had seen the thread, and told him what I was doing. Joe the replied that he was happy to assist with breaking new ground here and getting involved. For the cost of postage, Joe agreed to send me out another 11dbi LPDA and mounting brackets so we now have all the parts for testing with 4 externals! How awesome is that!

I must say I am seriously impressed with the service from these guys along with the quality of the kit they sell. I aim to do a full write up on the setup on my webpage, and would hope anyone looking to get something similar setup have a chat with Joe as he's a very knowledgeable resourceful in this field!

Teardown and POTENTIALLY a 4 x external antenna test may happen this weekend. Hold onto your hats folks! Let's see if we cant bump this connection up a little more aye!

10. fulltimewinner

fulltimewinner Member

Came across this thread from your sale post haha.

I could have done with this post 3+ years ago when I was living in Woorinen South (rural Victoria near NSW border). Only option was Telstra with 1 bar of 4g, no adsl and no other provider got anything more than 1 bar of 3g on mobile. Ended up spending 600+ a month for a year on my mobile until I got Satellite NBN which was 150gb (60gb peak 7am-1am and 90gb off peak 1am-7am). The sat net couldn't even load youtube half the time during the day at 360p, and it was $154.95 a month + my mobile phone for tethering which was usually $300ish a month, totalling $450 a month for another year.

I live in Melbourne as of 6 months ago, but this post would have been absolutely life changing for me back then.
    Just thought I'd give some insight as a previous 4g/satellite internet only user.

Was a great thread to read though, you've done super well with everything

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  11. neoprint

neoprint Member

All of NZ that has UFB fibre can get 1Gb/s, Gigatown was just that Dunedin got 1Gb/s first. If you live in an urban centre you can probably already get fibre and thus 1Gb/s.

Source: am a kiwi

12. shredder

shredder Member

You're totally correct. I meant to imply that entry level offerings to date are predominantly 100/20-ish plans. I think that's still correct - it's been several months since ours was connected (I'm a kiwi too - a resident one!).

edit: just having a quick look - it's nice to see that 1gb/s is slowly starting to be marketed a bit - but it's still in the significant minority of plans offered. Should become more the norm within a year or three.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  13. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

Great thread. I’m thinking about doing something similar, but with this and this.

14. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Only Cat4 LTE?

15. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

150M down and 50M up is fine by me.

16. Copie

Copie Member

You won’t get anywhere near that with a cat 4 unit.

17. Copie

Copie Member

3G won’t be switched off for a long time yet, 4G doesn’t have the range for rural areas

18. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

Do you have any links to real world testing? I couldn't find anything .

19. Copie

Copie Member

The speeds they quote are hypotheticals, there is tonnes of info about the different cat specs on whirlpool

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Of course it'll be switched off, they want/need the spectrum. These things happen, one of the networks are already throwing around dates internally to us...
    My employer use *a lot* of remote comms around aus, plenty in very remote areas too. I think we have ~100,000 comms and appears with projected growth we'll hit 1,000,000 some time in the next five to seven years.- We're just a little excited about CatM1, it'll be a great addition for us, not for consumer broadband though.