Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

Good idea. Found a 4G speed test thread. Someone got 92/40 Mbps on an iPhone 6 (LTE cat 4).

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/338352209.png

That's 100/40 NBN speeds right there. I'd definitely be happy with that.

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah I might at some point!

Update : we had the biggest lightning storm I've ever seen in my life last night and got pounded with rain and the mighty box survived!

Picking up second NH I lent to a mate tonight and hopefully onwireless.com.au delivery comes by tomorrow so we can test this weekend!

3. Panzer4

Panzer4 Member

Nice, I did something similar, but stuck on ADSL for the foreseeable future (FTTC in a year or two, maybe..) Decided to jump on that Telstra unlimited 4G. It actually turns out to be a lot cheaper than you’d expect (so long as you have a second hand phone around) since it comes with any device you like, up to and including an iPhone XS Max 512, for 200$/m. Sell that, and the plan cost drops to around 120-130/m.

It’s a bit awkward if you don’t have inherently good reception at your house though, since the plan is, wierdly, locked to smartphones only, which generally makes antennas a bit of a no go. No nighthawk, have to use a smartphone. Still, pulling 100mb/s on 4G with no data limit isn’t something I expected to see any time soon.

4. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

This information is very useful! I was keeping a keen eye on that plan hoping it might drop a little and I would then consider cutting over to it.

Now that you've clarified that it needs a handset attached to work, it's useless to me now. Ah well, have to keep an eye on the ever changing mobile broadband plans market now and make sure I read the fine print!

I am assuming they lock it via imei or something..

5. Panzer4

Panzer4 Member

My understanding is that it does work, but you’ll get a message from Telstra scolding you for not using a smartphone. If you could find one with an external antenna jack, maybe but that sounds like a pretty dubious hope :/.

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Onve you start you can't stop. Be warned! This speed thing is addictive!

7. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

8. Gunna

Gunna Member

s4mmy likes this.
  9. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Highly likely. Telstra would be spewing too. Beaten to market.

10. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

Telstra has been switching on 5G across the country since August 2018 though

11. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Switching it on and making it available to customers are very different things.

12. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Again it's been turned on but isn't available yet, it's still being tested:

14. CiscoDude

CiscoDude Member

I was disputing the assertion that Telstra 5G wasn't available to customers. It is available to customers on a trial basis just like Optus is planning.

Neither of them have made it generally available yet, so that race is to be determined.

Anyway, enough of the OT discussion from me.

15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

UPDATE: Did someone say modded NightHawk???

[​IMG]

Yes I modded it with the help of ApolloG from whirlpool. Very helpful chappie that one! He has a fully tear down video coming so I'll link that when its uploaded and online.

UPDATE 2: Received the donated antenna from onwireless.com.au today so WE NOW HAVE ALL THE PARTS for version 2.0. Who knows if this is going to work, and yes its crazy but why not hey! I am going to get the new NH and antennas up on the roof tomorrow morning so hold on people, its about to get crazy! I've already configured the NH2.0 with the exact same settings as NH1.0 so its literally just a swap out and it should come alive!

MUTMAN and shredder like this.
  16. pivot

pivot Member

You would think that the NH would come with the antenna connections out of the box for such a capable piece of equipment. Looking forward to see the difference NH 2.0 will make.

17. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

I think your daughter in the background is tired. Sleeping on the floor :Paranoid:

(jokes)

I hope NH 2.0 absolutely kills it mate. I really do. I hope it can be a great success, enough for hundreds of others to start doing the same and throwing up the middle finger to NBN and LNP

hairy and Sanity_Smith like this.
  18. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Fingers and toes crossed.

19. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    alt064 likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

So you want hundreds of people to have shit nbn ?
    Why wish a bad outcome for every Australian. Well a worse outcome :)
    Sorry but I hope for an improved nbn where these kinds of setups arent required. And if everyone is in then its cheaper across the board.

MrSnuffy likes this.