Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

UPDATE: OK guys. Additional external antennas mounted and tests run and the results???

Exactly the same performance! It hasn't made ANY difference what so ever. I suspect because my preferred band is 1800mhz, and the router won't do 1800mhz across all 4, and even if it did, I'm probably saturating what the tower is capable of providing me on 1800mhz. Ill confirm this by going for a drive to the tower and doing some further speed testing. If it's about what I'm getting now, then I won't do any further work on this box, if it's a lot faster, we'll I might just look at putting some parabolic antennas up, 20dbi bad boys tuned at 1800mhz. I'll see.

Overall I'm still very happy with my results. I've been able to archive 75mbps/25mbps during peak times, and 120mbps/35mbps off-peak. Am obvious huge improvement over the dsl connection I was on.

Given I have 2 sim cards (2 plans to make up the 400gb) I could look at a router that bonds the connections, but not sure what's available here and what prices are like. I'd love a cradle point or something, but wowsers are they expensive!

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Bummer. But not surprising.

Those additional antennas are a real mystery. :)

On Optus you need 2300Mhz ... however the T M1 doesn't do that. :(

3. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah I know! Ah well was a good experiment none the less. I do need to test 2300! Shame no modems are available. There IS the Hong Kong version that does 2300mhz, but I don't really want to shell out for that, and it's not like someone would be willing to swap!

I do have a huwawei b315 here that I could hook up to the second array and see what it pulls on 2300mhz pointed to the tower I'm using. Might be a good indicator if 2300mhz is worth persuing or not...

4. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

If it's not too hard to play, it might be worth a go. But TDD 20Mhz carriers, won't give great upload speeds, unless there is intra band CA?

5. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

My apologies, I probably wasnt very clear. It is because the MTM part of the NBN is shit that Yoodaa and others will HAVE to find a solution like he has! If FTTP was the primary rollout as under labor, he probably wouldnt be doing what he is doing.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I had a crack, dl was around 10 with antennas hooked up, upload around 3. 2300mhz ain't for me!

I've decided I'm happy where it's at. I get great speeds all times of the day, upload is always on tap at 30+Mbps, and it's been running flawlessly to be honest.

I even snuck a game of star citizen in last night with a mate and it ran like a dream. Discord VoIP was perfect I'm happy!

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Are yes, this we can all agree on.

MrSnuffy likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Also worth mentioning, I borrowed one of the big XPOL Telco antennas today off a mate to see how it performed. Could only archive about half of what the LPDA antennas can archive so very happy with my decision!

9. pivot

pivot Member

So, have you reached the max you can get from your equipment? Does that mean that this is all said and done or do you have some more tweaks ahead?

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Well that would be no fun would it! I need to consolidate now and sell unused kit to fund some parabolic antennas ;)

11. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Parabolic don't have the bandwidth, but for specific bands ... :)

It's what I use on my 39Km B28 link.

12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah I figure as I'm on 1800 it's probably the way to go. Not sure I'll see a huge improvement however so might try borrowing a mates mimo parabolic setup next month to see what it does

13. shredder

shredder Member

Mmm seems like we might be in diminishing returns territory.

14. chip

chip Member

ever tried sticking a Telstra SIM in it, for shits and giggles?

15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I tg
    I think so too! Hence why I'll borrow some to test.

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I haven't on purpose as I don't want to know what I'm missing out on... But I will next time I am up there :)

17. bcann

bcann Member

Just out of interest, have you tried aiming the antennas at separate towers by band and seeing if you can squeeze anymore out of it?

18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Sadly this won't work. The modem on a whole needs to associate with one cell tower, and you cannot select bands per antenna

19. xc351

xc351 Member

Got halfway through this thread.

Definitely remove the case maybee add some few passive heatsinks (RPi style) i had a modem/router that we used to abuse leach 24/7 would over heat all the time and require daily resets, removed the cover as i could feel the heat, was rock solid for years.

Also keep an eye out for a 2nd unit as a spare or similar

20. xc351

xc351 Member

also your stay wires should be on the high areas not valleys. Make sure its very well sealed id even look at stainless. With out being rude thee is a reason roof installers screw on the high parts.

But seeing what you have done im sure u can rig something up or monitor it.