Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah I thought I had mounted into high areas not valleys of colour bond otherwise you have major water issues. Did pics show otherwise? Got a spare NH already, and I don't think removing case will help much after pulling one apart. Case is basically needed for lcd etc. Plus without battery the back of the pcb is exposed anyway under the stickers as she's already cooler

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. xc351

xc351 Member

Yea mate 1 pic did.

To easy Maybee drill the case out abit more even if it’s not for cooling I’d be afraid it will insulate.

Now you got it down pat I guess u just watch for improved hardware or similar.

3. izablue

izablue Member

I am here as a result of seeing your link in the Whirlpool thread. I too am chasing a reasonable 4G speed.

My step 2 used a different method. I went to http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_proximity.main_page

When you enter your address a location marker will appear - it can be dragged to another location if desired - as well as transmitter sites. These are not labelled so a bit of trial and error is required to find the correct tower(s). Maybe visit oztowers first to locate the towers.

If a site is clicked a pop-up window will appear giving a lot of information.
    At the bottom of this window is [Elevation Profile]. Clicking this will produce a profile from the tower to your location.

alt064 likes this.
  4. chip

chip Member

I usually use the ACMA site too, it's a fantastic tool. It's got the details for every transmitter license, often a viewshed estimator, and for a lot of the transmitters I've been interested in it even had radiated power pattern estimates

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Mate that's bloody awesome. If ok with you ill add this method to the original post as its much much easier! And it's Australian!.

6. izablue

izablue Member

No problem. Glad you liked it.

7. ae00711

ae00711 Member

how'd you get a non-selected device to work again?
    I recently purchased the 500GB plan with the B525, and although it's the fastest internet we've ever had (80D 30U), it's the f**king flakiest - the internet has dropped out like.. 30 times, that's no exaggeration. I'm so f**king sick of pointless restrictions! JUST LET US USE A MODEM OF OUR CHOICE FFS
    I've done a sim swap, no change, Monday I ring again and complain..again
    I can induce/repeat a drop-out at will - just pile up 2-3 downloads, and bye-bye internet!

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the problem is optus. go to another provider that is likely more expensive and get better service ...

9. chip

chip Member

IIRC the OP is using what Optus call Mobile Broadband, not their Wireless Broadband product. Even though they're both LTE data services, it's a bit of artificial product segmentation. Mobile telco marketing people will amongst the first against the wall, come the revolution.

ae00711 likes this.
  10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

yeah, na, telstra? FUCK OFF

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Yer na, superior mobile network
    Hands down

12. koopz

koopz Member

NBN fibre helps us grow.

Telstra CAN network is the old legacy story that is taught to *some* kids.

It's just a story now.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I deal with 100,000+ remotely read sites daily (across all of Australia).
    Big T has the best performance vs Optus and/or Voda
    Regardless of the retail and consumer facing parts of their business, they have the better performing network.

And side note for ae00711 your abusive PM made me laugh. Did the bad internet man make you cry ?

MrSnuffy likes this.
  14. wanna_

wanna_ Member

Just gone through the same process with trial and error.

I read somewhere antennas 3 and 4 inside the M1 only work for 2600Mhz band. The normal antenna ports does the rest of the bands.

Current peak download is 50Mbit at 115dbm on 2600. I've ordered a cable to do the mod, can you see if you get any improvement if you lock to 2600 and use antenna3+4?

Surprisingly more noise on a higher band provides better speeds. 700mhz is around 90dbm but only 25mbit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. hairy

hairy Member

I looked at Telstra but they just don't have the quota that optus does.
    optus 500gig Telstra 90.
    even asked Telstra if I could pay extra for a custom plan and they said no.

16. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

This is the biggest annoyance with telstra. People would pay it if they could but they just don’t offer the big data or custom plans. They must make too much of the $10/1gb when people go over their cap.

hairy likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hi mate i got no improvement doing the mod what so ever sadly but 2600 is not my strong point so I'm not surprised. I've left it all hooked up so if I do go to Telstra one day, it'll rip.

Post your results! Cheers

18. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

I also wouldn't be surprised if that's also how they keep performance reasonable. Charge so much you don't get people congesting the network with big data transfers.

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. Copie

Copie Member

They are very inflexible when it comes to consumer plans, business however they are more flexible if you have the cash behind you. They do however offer unlimited at 199/month, which you can get the Xs Max 512 which is worth 1800 used, bringing the cost down significantly.

Exactly.

20. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

That SIM however can’t be used in anything but a phone and you can’t pool data with other devices which again sucks!