Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I get around 180-200mbps with my b525 with small antennas on it, so you should see something decent with the external.

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

That's awesome.

Distance from tower? Band you're on? we need details!

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'm metro, I'm only about 5 blocks away from the tower. It was suggested to me to put it on 700mhz but that seemed to lower the speed, so I believe now it's on 2300mhz. I'd have to confirm when I get home.

4. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah i'd assume with that speed your on 2300

5. Monty94

Monty94 Member

Ok done some testing on different channels. These are the results:

Band: 1
    RSRQ: -4dBm
    RSRP: -90dBm
    SINR: 21db
    DL: 69.17 UL: 5.48

Band: 3
    RSRQ: -7dBm
    RSRP: -84dBm
    SINR: 18db
    DL: 69.19 UL: 4.98

Band: 28
    RSRQ: -8dBm
    RSRP: -79dBm
    SINR: 11db
    DL: 15.59 UL: 12.48

Band: 7
    RSRQ: -6dBm
    RSRP: -92dBm
    SINR: 22dB
    DL: 92.34 UL: 48.33

Band: 40
    RSRQ: -11dBm
    RSRP: -102 dBm
    SINR: 11dB
    DL: 97.92 UL: 5.18

Even though there is better signal on other channels, band 7 has the best throughput. I'm happy with those speeds for now, I might get on the roof and have a play with the antenna when I have more time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    someon3 likes this.
  6. hairy

hairy Member

I disconnected my optus 4g toay because I finally got nbn.
    nbn is slower 28/8 compared to 69/39.
    the optus fellow I spoke to said they will have similar 5g solution next year some time, so something to look forward to !

7. Mr B

Mr B Member

Hey brains trust

After following this thread with interest, I got a M1 and signed up to an Optus 500G plan.

Put the sim in, and when i connect to the M1 wifi it takes me to the Optus website and a message saying 'Hmmm looks like you've tried using your Home Wireless Broadband SIM in another device. Your sim will only work in the Home Wireless Broadband modem supplied.....'

Everything I've read suggests its plug and play. The phone connects to the M1, which recognises YES OPTUS and 4G, but its not connected to internet and I cant log in to Optus.

Any ideas? Not finding much resolution online or with Optus.

Edit: Managed to connect to the M1 and complete setup. Still tries to connect to Optus website, with above error message.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. chip

chip Member

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Sorry to tell you this but there are two types of optus plans. Mobile broadband and mobile wireless. The m1 will not work on the mobile wireless plan like the one you've signed on for as its locked to particular devices only (like the b525 huwawei modem for example.). Best bet is to get one of those modems and see what you can archive with it. Tweaking settings as done in last few posts should yield good results. Testing this myself next week infact

10. Mr B

Mr B Member

Thanks Yoodaa - I thought I understood that but obviously had the plans mixed up. A frustrating 6 odd hours with very cheerful and optimistic support with assurance for success and no resolution

Might get a b525 today. Bloody internet.

11. Mr B

Mr B Member

Sorry/didn’t want to thread crap, but appreciate advice re the following posted in my separate thread. Not sure how to link the thread/post, and many more followers to here.

Basically, Optus 4g is not looking good. Talked to Telstra today, they advise adsl2 speeds of approx 25 meg based on a test/estimation to my address. Might be the best option, but it’s not ‘super’ as an option to sign up to. Not certain getting an external aerial setup as per this thread would deliver the same/best outcome?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for the advice all.

We signed up to the Optus 500G plan, and forked out for a B525 modem. Have been testing the last week.

Speed is terrible. Best ive seen is about 10 down, most often about 3-5 down with plenty of lag/dropouts etc. Ping anywhere between about 40 and 600.

Haven't tried an external aerial, but have put the modem outside to get a better signal. Connection stats seem to look ok, and the speed is confusing me. Any thoughts on whether connection should be so bad with below stats? 5 bars on modem

RSRQ: -9dB
    RSRP: -82dBm
    RSSI: -57dBm
    SINR: 5dB
    Band: 28

They seem to look pretty good to me, plenty of people getting fast speeds with worth stats.

Not sure at this stage whether its worth getting a yagi, or just ditch the idea and stay on slow flaky ADSL. Any thoughts or advice?

Edit: Forgot to mention, speedtest often wont even connect - Latency test error mostly. So, bad connection...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

OK so get on your roof if possible and run the tests. Also, under the dial up settings, there's a drop down where you can select 3g only, 4g only, 2300 only, 4g with no 2300 etc. Select each option, save, reboot router and run the test. Do this and record each result and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  13. ae00711

ae00711 Member

go back to the optus shop
    it's a new-ish product line/service, and there is a back-end setting optus needs to enable
    I had the problem too in the first month, speed was really good tho, just had drop-outs whenever I started downloading big files.
    Once optus 'ticked' the right settings at their end, nothing but plain sailing, fast, buttery-smoothness since :)

14. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Can you be a bit more descriptive about this setting to assist others?

15. ae00711

ae00711 Member

unable to sorry :(
    I wasn't told any specifics about the setting, was only told about it existing and that it needed to be ticked because the service is a new product line - I think you were distinguishing between the two in an earlier post - one product is wireless mobile or something like that, and the other mobile broadband

16. chip

chip Member

Here's my anecdote with Optus Mobile* BB and the B525. My experience was that the B525's Optus firmware doesn't seem very aggressive about running in CA mode- checking the LTE bandmask while running speedtests showed that it was often staying in single band mode. Loading another firmware onto the B525 forced CA on pretty much all the time, with corresponding improvements in application level performance.

Now I don't know if Optus run tr.069 to push these sorts of settings to their branded modems, but it wouldn't surprise me.

*(yes I know that Optus marketing differentiate these from the Wireless BB products)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  17. Mr B

Mr B Member

Tested all around the place including on roof etc, looks like those stats and speeds are about as good as it gets. Can get slightly higher speeds in some spots, particularly upload. Generally sitting about 7-8 down. Seems more stable today, with pings about 40 or so. Don't think there has been any improvement, its just variable. Changing band settings made no difference.

Spent a couple of hours with support yesterday, they advise everything is set up correctly. Added APN etc to modem. No difference to speeds.

Edit: For interest, pushed support to allow use of the Optus SIM in a Nighthawk - no joy, they say it cant work because of the difference between the two mobile/wireless broadband plans. Would have been interesting to test.

18. chip

chip Member

what's the output from the B525's API when you go to http://192.168.8.1/api/net/net-mode-list ?

edit: actually I think this is the one that tells you what the modem's doing, as opposed to what it's capable of: 192.168.8.1/api/net/net-mode

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  19. Mr B

Mr B Member

Not sure if that's working - both take me to a page with one number on it - 100003

20. chip

chip Member

I'll have a look at mine tonight to double check the behaviour

Mr B likes this.