Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Wow...Just ...Wow. Put the new antennas together today (couldent resist). Stood on the deck connected and pointed just one of them (too big to try and point two of them!) to the second tower mentioned in the original post (8km away). This was just held by me, lazily pointing hoping to get a signal. This is what got back:

[​IMG]

I'm chuffed with this result. Absolutely wrapped in the investment I have made and cannot wait to get up onto the roof and mount these babies with the NH. Originally I had hoped to break 50, and said I would be happy. Now I'm gunning to break 100 down, and 25 up. Yippie!

Now that the antennas have come to fruition, I called Optus and arranged for my $70 month to month to be converted to a $60 12 month contract, plus the $5 streaming service (unmetered netflix, etc). I ALSO added another $60 200GB contract, so am now at 400GB per month, for $125. Based on these preliminary results, that's a 56.4% increase (from $70 NBN plan to $125 MBB) in monthly costs, for a 126% increase in download (17Mbit to 75Mbit), and a 194% increase in upload (.3Mbit to 21.6Mbit). I am really really happy with the decision to move away from NBN at this stage, and I haven't even released their full potential yet!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SamNabz likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks. I will report on RSRP values once I get up on the roof and have everything mounted, etc. I can then just sit up there with my laptop and tinker.

I know for a fact that tower 2 is definitely the least congested. Its in the middle of a Melbourne Water reserve, has very little housing etc around it. Tower 1 is on a main road, near a shopping precinct, and has a lot of housing and schools nearby.

In my tests so far, tower 1 has proved to be the fastest, but suffers congestion. Tower 2 was not as fast (tested with previous antennas) but very stable. I want to hit tower 2 after my last post as speeds have increased dramatically (going the distance easily now with new yagi's), latency and jitter is minimal, and I have virtaully nothing between me and the tower.

As my house is below the road, and I point up to Tower 1, i feel that large trucks etc passing by will interfere with the signal. I get none of that pointing at tower 2.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Nice work. I see this become a more viable option in the future.

Is there any risk being on the 4G network? i'm assuming, as you are NAT'ing IP addresses from Optus they are using a \16 private IP address so can other people on the same subnet reach you?

4. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I had not given this much thought, but I suspect i will be able to firewall what I need to in order to protect myself.

5. John Kitchener

John Kitchener New Member

MIMO will 'lift' you some more and improve stability.

You are on a winner. :)

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah it's gonna be good. Im so excited!

7. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

Woowwww.

I'm just down the road in Selby. Might have to get a setup like this going!

Mind if I ask about your experience in choosing an ISP?

8. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

You mean a mobile broadband telco provider? It literally came down to seeing who had the best data plans available at the time, and seeing it I could get a decent signal on that providers network. I choose Optus as no one even comes close for 200GB @ $60

9. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks mate.

That's a wireless plan which is different to mobile broadband plans. Basically they lock you into using certain devices, NONE of which perform anything like the NightHawk M1100 (believe me I have actually tested them all, including a Netgear AC800S that I sold recently). Also you cannot data share with that wireless plan, meaning I cant really travel with it. There is a huge thread about this over on Whirlpool actually. Many people, including myself signed up to the wireless plan only to realize its pitfalls. Luckily I was on a month to month so was very easy to cancel and start a mobile broadband plan. MBB is the way to go!

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very impressive results OP, you've done well.

12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Cheers mate.

14. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah the M1's are pretty badass, i can see 200mbps+ pretty regularly if i dont have my external antenna hooked up.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build log.

15. neRok

neRok Member

The ping is lower than I expected. Do these networks run on the same networks as wired connections once the connection gets back to an exchange? So would interstate speeds be the same, and it's just the last leg that differs?

16. pivot

pivot Member

[​IMG]

So this is my speed test for my wireless NBN connection. It is a 12/1 plan with Internode. The tower is 1.33km direct line of sight and it is using 4G 2300MHz.

Code:
    Date             ConnType   Download  Speed  Download Size     Upload Speed     Upload Size    Latency    Server
    12/01/2019, 09:07    Hspap  6.760688         11352452          0.673464         676120         46         Brisbane
    12/01/2019, 09:08    Hspap  9.127912         14623968          0.80556          1343476        38         Brisbane

This is the result from my mobile at the some location. 1st test was a single connection and the 2nd was a mutli connection. This was full 3G signal and no external antenna.

So, either way your setup beats mine to a pulp. I have seen up to 144 download speed on 4G when in town.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  17. cvidler

cvidler Member

Most of the time, it's fibre from the tower to the exchange, and fibre on the majority of the network.

Some remote towers may run a microwave link back to a fibre connected tower.

But in general, it's only the tower to your phone/modem that's radio.

18. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

The problem with cellular is the plans are so expensive. Where they are affordable, they're either throttled or the data allowances are just too small considering media streaming. I think congestion also becomes a problem during periods of high usage.

Very interesting thread though, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

19. Martyn

Martyn Member

Also living in the Dandenong Ranges, and seeing our fttn date slip each and every 6 x months (now first half of 2020), I'm jealous of your results.

Unfortunately, our average monthly data usage is too high to make this an affordable solution, but I look forward to your further updates :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Prior to embarking on this journey I averaged out my last 12 months usage at 380gb per month so the 400gb quota with new setup will work well for me at the moment.

If I bundle my phone I get about another 100gb, which brings me to 500gb which should be very sufficient for my needs

Alby1976 likes this.