Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nasha

Nasha Member

I had high hopes because I have LOS of 3 towers within 1km or there abouts.

By LOS I mean, I have a double story house, with direct LOS to the towers

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Well in that case you'll probably do very well, if your not dead before testing the connection ;)

3. Nasha

Nasha Member

Tsktsk, you shouldn't bare that name!
    I may have picked one up even cheaper than you sell them! Should know by days end. Then I'll plug 2x 3dbi omni antennas in it where it sits on my floor amount a spool of unfinished cabling work, and vroooom ill be blaaazing

4. ae00711

ae00711 Member

f*ck me

how is it that hellstra starts trying to be competitive with their plans - loosening data restrictions, charges etc, and Optus increases their plan charges?? Was looking forward to paying $60/month for 200GB, but it's now $65 :mad:

5. MELso76

MELso76 Member

You can get 250GB for $66 and no device or speed restrictions at Moose Mobile... https://moosemobile.com.au/broadbands

6. ae00711

ae00711 Member

7. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

8. HarryUncle

HarryUncle New Member

Hi everyone,

Read this thread few months ago but just try add more Band to Netgear M1 today.

Currently it just allow me add more 2 bands at BAND 3 "700 1800" and BAND 4 "700 2600", don't know why. But changing BAND not improve speed so much.

Speed test in morning and noon around: 100-120/20-25 (Mbps)
    Speed test in night (peak time): 30-40/20-40 (Mbps)

My setup:
    + Optus SIM (mobile plan 40$ / 45 GB)
    + Netgear M1 (Firmware Version: NTG9X50C_12.06.02.00)
    + No external antenna
    + Put modem inside room but near window and point to 4G tower based on map calculation.

So basically, I am good with speed in normal time. I am just curious about "Does external antenna improve speed in peak time?".

PS: Surprised, when I try my phone with Telstra SIM, download speed in night still be the best: 180 - 250 / 12 - 15 (Mbps)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  9. ae00711

ae00711 Member

anyone know if a 'normal' Optus sim from a phone plan will work in the Netgear AC800s?
    Thinking of grabbing a byo sim plan and a ebay AC800s as a hotspot solution for travelling

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Sure will

ae00711 likes this.
  11. HarryUncle

HarryUncle New Member

I saw your post and tried this Moose Mobile. It uses Optus Network but the speed only around 20Mps/10Mps (down/up), when I try another Optus SIM at the same time, the speed is around 45Mps/15Mps. Maybe there is some speed restrictions from 3rd party provider.

Update: After followed instruction from Moose Mobile, factory reset my NetGear N1, the speed improved so much 60-70Mps/20-30Mps

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    ae00711 likes this.
  12. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Optus sub-6Ghz 5G fixed wireless unlimited data $70 is coming soon, if you can get a good signal on LTE 2100 and 2600, 5G NR 3.6 GHz has around the same radio propagation though you may need new antennas and definitely a new modem

HarryUncle likes this.
  13. Nasha

Nasha Member

Nighthawk M1 owners... Have you been able to overcome the 20 device limit? Is it as simple as not using the M1 as the DHCP server?

Secondly, anyone had issues (or successes) with telnetting their M1's? I've connected via USB, Putty'd to the OP on port 5000 (from memory), and not getting anywhere. Are there any tricks?

I've peaked at 168Mbps/15Mbps in early hours of the morning, with no additional hardware on Telstra network.

Very keen to keep this in place, but I'll need to resolve both of these issues before thay can happen as I need manual CA band steering when I goto Optus whose tower is closer and faster.

EDIT: Any reason my uploads are so terrible in comparison?

Cheers
    Nasha

14. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

just saw my NBN install has again been pushed to june 2020, so i pulled the trigger and ordered the optus 500gb wireless broadband with the huewei B525.

I also bought a starfish antenna which ill stick on the window near where the modem will sit. http://antennashop.com.au/shop/m2m/m2m-terminal-antennas/dmm-sma-starfish-antenna-5g-detail. got this one for future proofing with 5g.

currently on my optus ADSL internet im only getting 8.5Mbps down / 0.86 Mbps up.

when i do speed test with my optus mobile (note 10+) im getting 120-150 Mbps down, 15-25 Mbps up. my best was 236 Mbps down! these results were taken where i plan on installing the antenna.

I am really close to 2x optus towers so i have high hopes.

ill keep everyone updated with results. in meantime any tips and tricks would be appreciated :D

ae00711 likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Awesome mate looking forward to the result

16. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

got my wireless BB up and running. havent got my antenna yet so these results are with the modem sitting on the window sill where i plan on putting the antenna.

got some off peak and on peak speeds yesterday. all are pretty good i think.

taken at midday: Down 105 Mbps / Up 8.35 Mbps
    Taken at 7pm: Down 72.8 Mbps / Up 7.74 Mbps

i'm pretty happy with this service. def beats adsl and at these speeds will probably beat NBN when its available. might stay wireless...

ill post more results when antenna arrives.

Yoodaa, Monty94 and Pugs like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Another win for team wireless. Looking forward to seeing results with antenna!

18. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

has anyone looked into the 5g plan optus has now? i know hardly anyone can access it atm but for 70 bucks / month unlimited data is pretty good as long as speed is uncapped.

it says it uses 4g LTE as backup, but i wonder if speed is capped when that happens. otherwise it is a cheaper option then going with the 500gb 85/month plan they have for 4g wireless.

they may not give it to you if you cant access 5g first.

interesting...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  19. ae00711

ae00711 Member

$70/m for unlimited??? where??

edit: nvm, found it, optus.. mm.. read the critical summary.. they seem pretty keen not to offer that plan if you're not within 5G coverage

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  20. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Their 5g network doesn't seem to be extensive enough to be worth it at the moment.

The images in this article (published August) are the best publicly known indication of where 5g has been deployed to.

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Optus-5G-Network-Coverage

Quite literally patchy at best.