Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Pugs likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

At this stage not really as its really a prototype so grabbed stuff from everywhere... If I get time I'll go back and create one but night take a while

Pugs likes this.
  3. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Have you put in lightning arresters anywhere?

Only reason i ask is I've dealt with external 4G antennas a bit and had one a year or so back get hit. Blew out the antennas and arresters, relatively expensive cisco gear the antennas were connected to was unaffected.

Pugs likes this.
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

All good no rush

5. Primüs

Primüs Member

I'd be looking at possibly some guy-wire for your pole too looking at its height - dont underestimate a good wind and what load those antennas plus box will put onto the mounting bolts down below. Especially if that Foxtel dish is mounted on it too but I doubt it is.

6. 3th4n

3th4n Member

Away from the forums for a few days and I come back to this! WOW! You've got to be impressed with that! That's also very creative with the box, one of the advantages of the Nighthawk is its small and flat - lends itself to being mounted in tricky little spots.

I've really gotta get a wriggle on with mine now, I've almost stopped using my NBN on my phone at home since I get a pretty generous 30GB on my mobile and its significantly faster even for general browsing...

The only people I know of in the area that are on FW are on either Telstra (majority), Optus, Activ8, Dodo, Aussie Broadband and Exetel. They all have the same peak time slow downs... No idea if it's the RSP's not buying enough bandwidth or if the tower is congested. Is there a way to tell if its the tower? I know this isn't really the right thread for it and I know people LOVE to rip on NBN, but it would be nice if the entire FW situation was transparent - RSPs reveal bandwidth they buy and how much they resell, NBN releases bandwidth capabilities of each tower, and LIVE % of that bandwidth used on those towers. I know that's not all the information required, but neither the information nor the tools exist for the consumer to make educated decisions when it comes to NBN FW. I wouldn't be considering this solution if I knew I could switch to another provider and solve my speed problems.

Thanks for offering the Yagi! I'm up in Far North QLD so if you're close let me know :thumbup: Haven't done any more signal testing yet, but hopefully in the coming week I'll be able to borrow a Yagi (looks like the plastic covered one you have mounted) and report what I find. In more of my research I've found that if your phone shows 4G+, that means it can CA which will improve my speed a lot. Currently I only get "4G" at home. Looking at your speeds with the antenna I need to consider a similar setup if it could literally double what my phone is capable of.

A client bought a B525 for a setup that's happening next week. Out of the box it was limited to "3G only", and "4G only" but a firmware update allows "4G 2300MHz only" and "4G no 2300MHz" which would be for the Vivid wireless speed troubleshooting. I put my phone SIM in and on the auto setting I achieved this:
    [​IMG]
    Not to say I was surprised, but if I can get half of this I'll still be extremely happy...

For anyone else looking into this modem, there's an android app that allows band locking on the Huawei B525 called hmanager. I can't confirm if it works or if there's even an English version of the app, infact it's not even on the play store so use at your own risk. I'll try it if I end up going with this modem and report back.

Little tip here, and not sure if Optus has fixed it in the last year or if they can fix it at all.. A friend of mine has a Hisense Android smart TV that runs the standard Netflix app. So long as it's set to standard definition it doesn't count towards his quota. He was using a TP-Link TL-MR6400. They switched over to NBN when it was available in their area a year ago so unsure if it's still a thing.

7. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Those 525 results look awesome! I've lent some stuff to ST1NG3R at the moment but let's see how he goes.

When you get testing reach out if you want some assistance. Love to help!

8. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks for the tip. I will be following up with the following additions thanks to feedback :

Lighting arresters
    Nighthawk box bird spike
    Split conduit
    Guy wires (was already planning this but didn't want to fix it until I was sure I was aligned, etc)

dave_dave_dave and Pugs like this.
  9. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Woo Hoo!

Great speeds and a really nice low ping of 18ms on Optus mobile.

What is the RSRP?

Note: Given that the signal strength is likely pretty strong, I probably would have test run LMR400 down to the room below and located the gizmos indoors. But ... we don't know how much the two internal antennas are adding???

10. shredder

shredder Member

Precisely! That's the route I'd have investigated, in an attempt to negate the need for any outside box, but that's something that can be looked at next time or by somebody else.

A year or two back I started basic research for a project like this, but set up remote from the house (required in order to get 4g connection), which would've entailed some sort of battery power. Thankfully a local farm wireless network came online at the right time, and saved me the effort.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  11. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

This will be 2.0. I've got another NH on the way that I'll pull apart and connect all 4 internal antennas to externals.

shredder likes this.
  12. pivot

pivot Member

Nice little speed increase:leet: How is the connection stability and are there any times when congestion is noticed?

13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I'm actually running a speedtest for 24 hours, every hour. So far my average across 12 hours is 89.3Mb down and 9.5Mb up on Sydney based servers. Probably a bit early to estimate about stability but I've had no drop outs or anything as of yet

14. shredder

shredder Member

That's pretty sweet. Not worlds away from my 100/20 fibre speedwise.

15. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Be careful not to chew through your data. It uses a fair chunk per test

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

This was my goal :)

17. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Cheers. I've got 350gb to use in 4 days before next month's quota starts so I'm testing the hell out of it

StratosFear likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Managed to jump on the roof today and put the eye bolts in the pole in preparation to put some stays on the mast. I will be doing that this week to secure the mast. I accidentally moved the masts alignment when doing this so had to re-tune it.Boy am I glad I did as my upload is significantly better now :)

[​IMG]

I will also be adding black conduit for the cabling to protect from UV as recommended. Also adding some shade for the box potentially :). Thinking I might actually add a solar panel to the mast over the box to protect it from the sun :). I have a spare 18v/10w there doing nothing. Going to be a busy week with work so may not get a whole lot of time to work on it but we will see.

Second NH will be arriving tomorrow. Plan on pulling it apart and seeing if I can attach external antennas to all 4 internal antenna ports for maximum throughput on device. If so

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  19. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Off peak, I can archive quite decent downloads. Averaged this over night, across 12 tests (one each hour)

[​IMG]

Very very happy with how this is panning out :)

20. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Ping is incredbly low. :)

What is the RSRP?