Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hey mate, it hovers between -87 and -93 dBm

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

While re-addressing your cabling, look at adding in a drip loop too. prevents water wicking its way down the cable back inside.

3. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Cheers,

I've actually already got one cabled up as I thought of this too :)

4. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

With the antenna set up and a pretty terrain situation, I would have thought it to be rock steady?

I have a solar powered 4G relay with a 39 km obstructed link.

It sits rock steady at -100.

5. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Ah.

Likely due to CA and multiple frequencies.

I am band 28 only.

So all good.

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah CA 700 and 1800 :). It's very steady and stable so far

7. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Yoodaa, just wanted to say well done and great effort! Love it that you found a viable alternative to meet your requirements and stick it to NBN Co. as well as government! Would love for the mainstream media to do a piece in print as well as TV on your efforts, but then that would probably encourage everyone around you to do the same and possible congestion.

Pity 4G data was not cheaper and more readily available in higher amounts. Hopefully for you it will be down the track.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts and progress. I salute you :)

someon3 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks mate Appreciate the feedback. It's been a really enjoyable project so far, and I've learnt a lot along the way too!

It's very rewarding when you do the proper research, get the right gear, and it all comes together in the end. You're right about congestion. Happy to help anyone else do this, just stay off my tower haha!

My NBN connection was due to be billed again tomorrow so I officially cut ties today from the nbn and cancelled my fixed line. NBN INDEPENDANCE DAY!!!

Second NH didn't arrive today so assume it'll be here tomorrow. Looking forward to pulling that apart and seeing what pandoras box holds inside

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

The link seems to have found its home around 120/30 off peak which is just incredible.

[​IMG]

Its only been up a few days but its the little things that make a huge difference, like not having to reboot my modem everyday just to sync a decent speed to the exchange! Here are the modem signal stats for anyone interested:

[​IMG]

You can see the RSRP reports to be quite high really, meaning it doesn't have the best signal, and I am still pulling 120/30. This would be due to the environmental conditions of my area including trees, hills, etc. I can only imagine what someone would be getting if they had LOS to a tower with this setup. Its going to be almost 40 degrees today so I will be keeping an eye on that temperature today to see what it gets to. I suspect it will get to mid 50's, but time will tell. I am not convinced its actually that accurate as its quite cool outside as i post this, yet its reporting 34 degrees. Doesn't quite seem right but lets see!

10. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

An RSRP -98dBm is fine and will pull full speed, however this confirms that for B3 you do need the external antenna and that the two internal antennas may well be struggling for any of the higher bands; or are they masked?

nbn fixed wireless RSRP limit is -99dBm for the exact same reason. Good signal strength ensures that the highest rate codec is used.

The key is to conduct a signal survey to find the best location and then choose the most appropriate antenna (test again), to 'recover' the best signals on the chosen bands.

This will determine if you can use a coaxial feed or if a masthead installation is more suitable.

[​IMG]

http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2014/04/making-sense-of-signal-strengthsignal.html

shredder likes this.
  11. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Are you getting congestion in the evenings? what are pings like?

12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Cheers John! Great information for the thread here. The question regarding internal antennas is a very good question. The NH only presents one band (your primary band) in the GUI, even though CA is indeed happening in the background as proven by the command line AT queries. So you are indeed correct that it is masked behind the primary band represented in the GUI.

Based on the 4G metrics, looks like i've got a cracking connection!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I have seen the link drop down to approx 75-80Mbps Down during peak times, but upload always remains at about 30Mbps Up. I am fortunate that I am able to point and hit a fairly major tower that's really got very little around it (this was on purpose in the audits I did, along with the audits onwireless provided). As I am rural there are huge farms around, so the "people per square inch" s to speak is vary sparse, meaning the tower is very quiet :)

Ping varies from 15 to 19ms. Never seen it higher than 19ms which is brilliant for what it is.

14. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Sounds great. Can only assume in a few years the upgrade to 5g will be relatively easy also.

15. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

It certainly is. It demonstrates excellent link stability.

You won't ever notice the modest congestion ... in real life. :)

I've always been a bit of a fan of antenna tuning for lowest ping. This confirms that the up link is fine in marginal tuning conditions.

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Sounds like you know quite a lot about the RF/Cellular tech John?

17. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Correct! Will require new antennas however, and a new modem so all of that kit is still a long way of even coming into production really, so I wouldn't even think Id consider moving to 5G within the next 5 years. The current 4G connection will suffice until then :) Plus we probably won't see 5G rolled out in the hills in that time given the terrain challenges it will present. I would think we will be one of the last areas to get 5G, which is why invested in a quality 4G setup.

18. John Kitchener

John Kitchener Member

Enough to be helpful at times ... I hope. :)

19. chip

chip Member

It's a shame the MR1100 doesn't do 2300MHz - OP is missing out on 80MHz of bandwidth on the Optus tower the yagis are aimed at.

There's also a Telstra tower at the same target site, have you tried a telstra SIM for getting some sick speedtest results?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  20. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Haha, I know! My phone is on Telstra. I haven't tested it yet mainly because i don't want to see what I am missing out on if I were to go to Telstra haha. I will say that if Telstra come out with a large data plan, or reduces say the unlimited to $149, I would be up on the roof frantically testing :) When I test Telstra I will update thread. Might d this in second NH before I pull it apart.