Build Log: Bye Bye NBN, HELLO 4G!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Yoodaa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Congrats OP on a successful result.

2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks! Very happy with result, and support.

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Certainly Netflix 4K Capable.
    How does the Optus backhaul cope with Peak conditions in your area?

4. John Kitchener

John Kitchener New Member

Any M1 replacement that would suit?

5. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

The link might be 4k capable but my data quota.... Errrr maybe not ;)

Seems to handle things great. Haven't had any noticeable slowdown or congestion issues that have made me think wtf is going on.

6. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Not really. There's nothing else that's cat16 has Ethernet, is relatively cheap, and powerful.

7. chip

chip Member

I've not found an economical, unlocked cat 9 or better modem with ethernet port that does all the AU bands, although I haven't done an exhaustive search*. The radios in the M1 are capable or pretty much any band, at least going by the specs for the parts. Telstra had no obvious incentive to enable it.

If it was just for me, instead of at work or for family members out in woop-woop, I'd seriously look at DIY build using a SFF with a recent model Sierra Aircard m.2 modem.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. pivot

pivot Member

Front page status. This thread has moved fast and had plenty on interest. Your "adventure" may save other's future hassles. Well done.

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Once I've exhausted getting the most out of the NH, and if I have any issues with it I might consider this approach. Good idea.

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Thanks pivot. I'm hoping it helps people! I'm always around to help anyone break the chains of nbn if they need assistance ;).

11. sugaris

sugaris Member

Yoodaa have you had an issues with your nighthawk going offline for no reason? I've got one and it'll drop off line for no reason and I have to pull the battery and reset it to get it to work again.

12. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

It's certainly catching on, even on whirlpool people are following closely on the progress. Many are quite excited by the NH teardown to see if we can really crank things to the next level.
    Hi mate. When you say offline, how are you connecting to it? There's a wireless standby option that should be disabled assuming you use wireless (I don't) and a Ethernet standby option too that should be disabled. Have you disabled both of these options?

Also what power supply are you using and what's it rated at?

13. s3tTz

s3tTz Member

Congrats on your setup, Yoodaa. I work for an NBN RSP, and my heart sinks every time I get a customer calling up complaining about their slow fixed wireless speeds because I know there won’t be anything I can do. NBN FW is utter trash.

Also, be aware that the free Netflix streaming via Optus is only at standard def (up to 1.5Mbps).

14. Sico Music

Sico Music Member

I did a similar project back when 3G 8gb data plans became a thing. Was previously on 3gb of satellite (I think we paid 3k for install and a lot per month) back in the day. This was on a remote property. Spent a lot of time doing a similar thing to you and a lot of time on the whirlpool yagi threads. Had a tower 16km away LOS, and another that was 4km, but no LOS but fortunately reflected off the back of a massive hill. Initially connected to the closer one as the other was close to a town and got hit by congestion constantly. Eventually the congestion went away and that tower became better in every way then the closer reflected one. Before I had the antenna I was getting maybe 1 bar of signal and slightly better than satellite speeds. Afterwards I had full signal near constantly as well near peak speeds 3G was capable of (as I remember it)

I saw your comments on the LMR400, I ended up buying a 10m terminated length for $40 from China which worked great. I think my estimates in loss were something like 1-3% on average, compared to having the modem on the roof or having it in the house. I always planned to switch over to 4G and just buy a second cable and new antennas but moved off the farm by the time 4G came around. When it did the speeds were 30mbps+ without any antenna at all, so never bothered and pulled down the old 3G yagi only last year.

15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah unfortunately it's just the cards some people in Australia have been dealt with the nbn.

As for Netflix, I doubt they'd rate limit it on a mobile broadband plan. Perhaps a fixed wireless plan but that's not what I'm on :)

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

It's quite a rewarding project as you would understand, and given 4g has such viable speeds now its a real contender for serious connections to the net. I'll hopefully be running lmr400 x 4 (4 x mimo antennas on the NH ) to version 2.0 of this project that will sit in the laundry cupboard. At this stage the plan is to get a panel mimo and mount it under the yagis for this purpose (as I don't want to run 4 x yagis due to weight, wind forces on mast, etc. Plus it'll give the setup a whole lot of diversity Having said that I'm not entirely sure it'll actually work so time will tell.

17. Giant_One

Giant_One Member

Awesome work mate. I'm in a similar situation with no NBN and only reasonable wireless broadband. I'm currently on the Optus 200Gb MBB $80 plan using a TP-Link MR6400. Should there be any difference in performance switching to 500gb WBB plan?

18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

There should be no difference at all as wbb plans are not capped anymore. You'll need a different modem however as the wbb locks you into selected devices :

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Optus-Wireless-Broadband-eligible-device-list/td-p/512447

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Nice work OP.
    Id consider changing that flyscreen over to filter wool (get some at local fish shop) and then loading up on pesticides all over. And repeat application every 6 months or so.

Bugs and ants are shit and will find a way in past flyscreen fairly fast.

zeggie and someon3 like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Cheer
    Cheers ill have a look into it.

Got the second NH in my hot little hands tonight. Lending it to a mate Thursday to do some testing at his house for a similar setup then its teardown time on the weekend.