1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Build Log] Noob Watercooling/Case Modding Attempt

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by ex4n, Oct 13, 2011.

1. random_al

random_al Member

Sub'd
    looks awesome!!:thumbup:

2. mattg

mattg Member

see to me that looks extremely messy. my comp is in the living room and i couldnt have it looking like that :shock: its a bumber you cant get the fans on the inside of the case? what about slimline fans?

3. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

i know what you mean.

i was actually thinking of just dremelling off the offending heatsinks and see if the fans fit inside, then I could easily slide the cover back onto the top and it would be practically invisible.

i still wouldn't be able to get both side panels on because of where my pump sits, but for me that's not an issue right now.

4. mattg

mattg Member

do you mean dremil the heatsink on the ram? :D

5. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

yup! just the few cm that gets in the way. or sell/trade it for low profile ram.. :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. mattg

mattg Member

i doubt my ram would fit as its realy tall :upset:

7. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Quick update time. No new pictures but a bit of an update to where this is going. A few weeks ago I ordered a bunch of stuff from Gammods, almost all of it was on back order so I only just got it the other day. I also placed a new order with the Koolroom last night which I hope to have by the weekend. Else this next stage will be delayed until next weekend.

From Gam I ordered a few new res pieces/accessories (EK multioption stuff) to try and find a better solution than my res/pump combo. I have a few ideas so far.
    [​IMG]

I also got some red primoflex tubing as the clear tygon stuff I have now was badly stained by previous coolant use. was surprised how much cheaper primoflex was than tygon I originally paid for. Comes in many great colours, I already regret buying so many red things. I'm sure this will all change one day.
    [​IMG]

I got a great tube cutter from bunnings for $9.95, either in the tool isle or the reticulation isle. I was trying to use scissors before and was a bit hard to get the cut super straight with 3/8"+5/8" tubing, but this tool does a perfect job. Thanks to Moptimus and this thread.
    [​IMG]

I was getting sick of the fans sticking out the top of my case, maybe I was too stoned when I put it all together but I decided that they wouldn't fit inside without some extra modification. It turns out I was wrong, as I just installed 3 new fans internally which are a bit quieter, and have higher air pressure than the cheapo fans I'm currently using. I will now eventually be trying to restore the top of my case to look normal as I butchered it pretty badly a few months ago when I installed the rad sandwich. I've improved temps with the new fans too, at an ambient temp of 30+ in my nerd den, the CPU OC'd to 4.6ghz and running prime95, temps still do not exceed high 50s.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I also ordered a full cover block for my 7970 so soon I will see what it can really do. This I am hoping arrives before the weekend, else I will be pushing this all back to next weekend. Also ordered a bunch of fittings and caps which I need for the new gear. I'm giving the cheap enzo 45s a try as they look simillar to the koolance ones I already have (and love) but half the price. I almost bought another 140 rad for the bottom of my case, but I will see what temps are like first, hopefully fine.
    [​IMG]

I think that covers everything for now.. will try and take some decent pics after all this (read: not with my phone) assuming it doesn't all turn to shit. I will also include a pic of the other side of the case (where cables are tidied) for a laugh.

Lastly here are a few results out of this system. I hope to improve on this once video card is water cooled too.

3D Mark 06
    31476 - i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz - AMD7970 - http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16425604
    35029 - i5-2500k @ 5.0GHz - AMD7970 @ 1200/1700 - http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16427288

3D Mark Vantage
    P30479 - i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz + AMD7970 - http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3850298
    P34379 - i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz + AMD7970 @ 1200/1700 - http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3850365

3D Mark 11
    P7910 - i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz + AMD7970
    P9631 - i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz + AMD7970 @ 1200/1700 - http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2645566

Unigine Heaven
    1496 - i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz + AMD7970
    1863 - i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz + AMD7970 @ 1200/1700

Any suggestions, keep em commin.

cheers

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

my 7970 block and accessories arrived today from the kool room, pretty quick shipping to perth (as usual from them) getting to perth next day. (ordered tuesday night, shipped wednesday, arrived thursday). so.. i will be updating this log on the weekend, unless I run into any issues.

the product info says the gpu block weights around 680g but i just weighed it at more like 880g so hopefully there are no issues with warping once it is installed. curious to know if its heavier than the stock cooler. i've never installed one of these before but it doesn't look too hard.

I have had a few ideas for further modification, or perhaps re-assembly recently. I want to reinstall the top 3.5" bays but it will mean learning how to rivet as that seems like the easiest way to do it. also probably going to ditch the dvd drive and buy a usb one. looks fuuugly sitting there and it has literally been used once since i moved it. i was thinking I could then mount the new res to the outside of the top 3.5" bays, and have the pump somewhere below, out of the way. this might neaten up the loop a bit and make filling a bit easier (in theory). I still need to figure out how to fit in more rads though.. maybe another 140.2 eventually. i should probably just buy a bigger case.

im not sure if this all makes sense, so will probably strip it down and do some mock ups tomorrow.

any thoughts?

cheers

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Just a quick update on the weekends progress. Got everything done today, and been very happy with temps so far. GPU load temps after an hour or so of heaven running were ~40* and its easily over 30* in my computer den. Idle temps ~35* so just a few above ambient. Also installed the new res and extra HDD bays. Here is a quick pic I took tonight, sorry for the phone pic. I took a few more of the GPU block installation process, and will try to get a decent camera to take some proper pics of the PC.

[​IMG]

Will do a better update soon. Cheers.

10. KiwInsane

KiwInsane Member

looks good, keen to see new 3dm11 scores now the 7970 is on water.

would suggest a backplate for the 7970....may help support the heavy waterblocks & keep the card from warping..and makes it look a lot nicer

11. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

thx mate. i ran about 20 mins of furmark at 1080p and temps didn't get above 45*c so I am pretty happy with that, and looking forward to doing some more OC now that it can keep cool. I'm hoping to be able to get just over 10k in 3dmark 11.

any suggestions on a backplate? i've noticed currently the card isn't warping at all. I was quite surprised given it must weigh just under 1kg in total now. the 6+8pin power is kind of touching the res, which may be helping hold it up.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  12. KiwInsane

KiwInsane Member

EK backplates are the common ones, and should still fit on top of the card regardless of which block is used...more for looks, hides the ugly pcb & solder points on top of the card...

13. Scottymag

Scottymag Member

looks nice!

14. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I might consider a backplate if there are any Aus sellers and I am buying something else at the same time.

I already dislike the red tubing on blue, but pics do not do it justice. up close it doesn't appear so offensive. I also found out the blue LEDs on the motherboard are toggled in BIOS so thats now off. I suppose all I need to do is change tube+fans to refresh the theme whenever I get bored or have reason to.

I gave it about an hour of furmark @ 1080p last night and max temps got was ~46* so within 12-13 of ambient. Also gave it some 3D mark at 1000/1500 and temps didn't get above 42* (within ~10*c of ambient) so been very happy with performance so far as it was getting into the 70s on air. I wasn't sure how the 420 rad would h old up, but seems ideal for CPU+GPU. I would probably add another rad if I got another video card though. Hoping i'm going to be able to break 10k 3dmark 11 now that i can keep the card cool. I'm thinking 1000/1500 sounds perfect for 24/7 OC as it runs that at stock volts.

I am thinking I should have put res in the other way around, and connected the CPU hose a little bit longer to the bottom of the cylinder (instead of inverting it) but it wasn't too hard to fill this way. I may change it next time i need to drain though.

Riveting the extra HDD cage in place was actually dead easy, just had to drill a few small holes then pop the rivets in and squeeze the gun. took all of about 5 mins. The res holder just needed 2 small holes to mount too, and managed to fit it in a way that wouldn't interfere with the HDDs (hopefully, else the fastener will need to be shortened). I still have some free space but was getting dangerously full. Glad to now have the room to accommodate another 8-12TB. The HDD bays are facing the other way due to small oversight in planning - didn't realise the sliding trays would not fit in both ways and got it backwards, but again not a big issue for me and i can possibly fix it later.

Here is a pic of just another angle of the build
    [​IMG]

And here is the hidden cable stash - the PSU will be the next thing to be replaced i think.
    Yes the DVD drive is not connected, its just there in case I really need it.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading
    ex4n

15. Gipsyking

Gipsyking Member

How much money do you planning to spend on all the improvement?

I got all my system from this place couple years ago, they put it together for about 40 dollar with warranty if something goes wrong.
    Might be your worthwhile.

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=265_421

16. random_al

random_al Member

Just caught up with your build, looks awesome, I'm really impressed that you fit a 140x3 inside the Arc Midi and have inspired me to do the same thing!
    Do you think fan shrouds would fit for each of your 140's (if the DVD drive wasn't there)? How did you go with RAM clearance? have to cut the heatsinks or does it all fit? And where is the tight spot?
    My google-fu is failing me, I can't fine the height of your ram anywhere, do you think (total guesses allowed) that ram with 42mm total height would fit?
    /end question bombardment. Once again nicely done (who needs an optical drive anyway!)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  17. CyberBandit

CyberBandit Member

Cool rig :D

Nice build, I really like the red fans and red tubes, looks mean!

Also noticed you have the optical drive mounted sideways, you dont plan on putting a side cover on that computer do you? :p

EDIT: Just read the whole thing, scratch that question...

Did you secure your cable cover sleeve things (the black ones) using zip ties? Im thinking of using this on my build but im not sure if it will look good.... Do you just cut it up, and slide it on?

-Cyber :lol:

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  18. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

hey mate. half the fun is putting it together, at least for me. I don't really have a set budget, but haven't changed much recently. It's sort of an ongoing project I guess.

hey sorry didn't notice your reply earlier. thanks for your comments.
    not sure if this will still be relevant, but if so..

You may have a hard time fitting the rad, so you'll need to make sure you do it first as you won't fit it in once any other components are added, also means you can't take it out without removing everything pretty much. Once its fitted properly, there's not much need to ever remove it, even for draining though.

my fans just clear my RAM by about or just under 1MM. The fins on this RAM are quite tall too but not sure exactly how high. I found the specs on patriot website and this is what it says.
    If yours is 42mm these may be about the same height.

.30” (D) x 5.2” (W) x 1.63” (H)
    .76cm (D) x 13.3cm (W) x 4.1cm (H)

anyway I also took this picture, it's not great but it shows the fans do clear the RAM, so if the shroud was no wider than the fan, it should also clear and there would be no need to top your fins or remove them. hope that helps.

Haha I do use the DVD drive sometimes, I ended up needing the drive a few times and couldn't be bothered buying a USB one, so its plugged in for now. I don't both the side panels for my case though (just the other side). For the record, it does fit on and secure no problem, but I had to cut a bit out to make room for the rear outside mounted 140mm fan.

The sleeving on that PSU is just what came with it. I didn't put that on. I would imagine you just need to cut it to length, and secure at each end. This one is secured with heatshrink as most are. There are some good guides out there for cable sleeving, this one is for individual sleeves but it may give you ideas, or I'm sure you can find one for sleeving everything in one.

I took one more pic of my PC now, I've added a HDD and changed PSU to an Enermax 1050W in preperation for any future GPU upgrades and maybe a few more HDDS and a controller card as my mobo is already full.

As always, sorry about image quality, it came from my phone, but I think I am getting better with it at least. :)

[​IMG]

Next on the list to do is make a grill for the top and attach a lid, also want to change the rear fan to an intake, which will be a nightmare, and then make a window and i'll be able to have both side panels on and quieten it a little. With all fans on full, its slightly audible.

Also considering a 280 or 240 rad on front, where the current intake is.

Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Hi guys,

In the true spirit of water cooling, I am no longer content with my setup. It feels half finished (and kind of is) so I am going to be tearing it apart and rebuilding one weekend soon. A performence update, things have been going well. I've left the CPU at 4.6GHz for day to day and I've even managed just over 11k in 3DMark 11 with the 7970, P11041.

I have an RX240 I want to fit into the front now, I don't care if it costs me the front bezel or not, but ideally I would like it to stick through the grille on the front instead. I am looking for ideas on how to mount this, has anyone seen an Arc Midi with a 240/280 rad in front, without losing the HDD bays?

Secondly, I plan to re-rivet the HDD bays in place as I did a shit job and 2 of the rivets came lose already. Might use small bolts instead. Until I build a NAS box I do actually need these in here. If I build a NAS box I can rip them out, redesign a little and just tuck my SSD behind the mobo with modders tape. Until then.. they need to stay.

I am going to add a grille to the top as my dremel work was shoddy and it doesn't look clean. 420 grilles seem hard to find, or extremely overpriced, but this seems like a nice compromise. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

I want to change to clear tubing again, clear Primoflex though. I have some clear tygon left over but it is not nice stuff.

I want to try and tie the components together a bit more, into some kind of theme, so I am going to remove some of the blue badges off the mobo and probably ditch the red fans, resulting in a fairly monochrome look which I might be more happy with/less repulsed by. It is currently just some crap thrown together.

I need to re-sleeve my fans, as I really fucked them up originally and the plastic 3 pin headers keep sliding over the fucked pins. I have no idea how to crimp on new pins though, anyone got a good guide for this?

I also want to add a fan controller, I am using the one that came with my case, tucked behind the mobo tray, but it doesn't handle the 3 fans very well, and just stopped working once resulting in passive water cooling for a while until I noticed. :/

My case has also turned into a dust trap so I will need to incorporate some kind of fan filters.. the HDDs are pretty grey and furry, and this is slowly migrating further inwards from the front fans.

I am also considering replacing my pump as it gets randomly noisy sometimes, the rest of the PC is absolutely silent.

I will try to take more decent pics when I rebuild this time, as I know everyone likes pics.

Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers,

ex4n

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  20. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Ok no matter how I approach it, doesn't look like the rad can fit in front and keep the HDD bays, so scrapping that idea. Temps are fine with a 420 anyway.

Still need to re-do it a bit better soon, clean the dust out, and fix the stuff mentioned above.

Any suggestions on improving the loop?