Build your on RUBY ON RAILS web applications available as a FREE PDF from SitePoint

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Dedge, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Dedge

Dedge Member

If you've been thinking about picking up Rails, or a web programming framework then I encourage you to take a look at this fantastic book by Patrick Lenz. I recently purchased a hard copy from Amazon and I'm kicking myself that it's now available as a free PDF download.

The book has been written for the current release of Rails (1.2). I'd imagine SitePoint is giving the book away because Rails 2.0 is around the corner. If you're a complete newbie to Ruby or Rails, don't worry, the book has a strong orientation towards that audience. None the less, it's certainly worth adding to your collection.

If you're unfamiliar with Ruby on Rails, here is a quote from the their front page.

This is the e-mail I received from SitePoint. It has the instructions on how to obtain a copy. The PDF is approximately 20MB. You'll need to provide them with your e-mail address, but you can opt not to receive newsletters.
    More information on Ruby on Rails.

2. shazzad0c

shazzad0c Member

Looks like a great book... I downloaded it. But can we download all the code also?

3. OP
    OP
    Dedge

Dedge Member

You should be able to. Take a look at this page. If you can't get it, let me know and I'd be happy to pass mine on :)

4. shazzad0c

shazzad0c Member

That page is no good... I entered my email address, the same one that I used to get the URL to download the book. It seems its only giving the code to ppl that paid for the book.

Any chance u could either PM me with a link or something?

5. dljunior

dljunior Member

The link does work -when you get to the second page, it just asks for a question about a page in book ;)

6. shazzad0c

shazzad0c Member

Correct... my bad!
    Download the code as I type this!

7. OP
    OP
    Dedge

Dedge Member

Oh, well, I just copied the archive to my server. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass it on to you :)

Hope you guys are getting in to this book.

8. domlebo

domlebo Member

Thread dig. Anyone able to give me a copy of this book?

9. domlebo

domlebo Member

Bump anyone?

10. OP
    OP
    Dedge

Dedge Member

This book is outdated and has been replaced by Simply Rails 2. I suggest getting your hands on that instead.