1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a home - Cabling plan

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by her0, Apr 14, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    her0

her0 Member

So far i've received two general quotes from two registered cablers.

16 points + patch panel + 6RU data cabinet = roughtly $2200 when installed during the construction stage (frames + roof up) all up

And another who mentioned that it will be a minimum of $3000 PLUS labour and parts.

massssivveeee difference. :sick:

Anyone had experience with negotiating with builders to allow to bring in your own cabler while in the construction phase?

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

What's the 3k for then?

3. OP
    OP
    her0

her0 Member

No idea, that's exactly how they've e-mailed me.

Safe to assume i won't be going with them either way.

4. Copie

Copie Member

Yep. I built with Macdonald Jones, and told them outright that i was going to have a sparky come in and run data wiring on the weekend before they plasterboarded the house, no worries they said (well they did argue a bit on it but i told them unless they are paying the bills they can GTFO)

Whilst i was there i put in heaps of electrical point backplates as well, so if i wanted more GPO's it would be as easy as punch a hole, run off the existing GPO and add the front plate.

5. kesawi

kesawi Member

OP, if you wanted to, you could also grab some scrap cat 5 or other cable for free somewhere and run it down from the ceiling in the walls so that it can be used to pull through any future services.

I did that recently in our bedroom reno and now have a few extra holes thanks to the plasterers cutting out the holes in the wall on the basis of makiing it easier for the sparky to find them :)

The backplates don't need to go in for a GPO as there are specific plates available for retrofitting to the plasterboard at a later date.

6. Elmf

Elmf Member

Try getting to the bottom of a stud wall in a built house mate.

7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Yeah that has no purpose whatsoever, it is an absolute ease and sometimes easier to just put a plaster clip in, which works to the same effect..:Paranoid:

8. OP
    OP
    her0

her0 Member

Thanks Copie, i guess i'll go hardass on them too.

(and suck up to the site supervisor :thumbup:)

9. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Yeah actually it's quite hard without a massive drill bit..

10. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Ah what? Why would you not just use actual string for the trailing pullstring?

11. Elmf

Elmf Member

It can be quite hard WITH a massive drill bit lol:D

12. clonex

clonex Member

Run the cabling you think you going to need it or drill holes and drop some 25mm conduit.
    Its more time consuming to do afterwards tho not overly hard to pre drill hole for auger but you going to need a 1400-1500mm auger bit which aint cheap to reach nogs.
    ive come across a few pre-fab frames that had the flat side 70mm(70x35) facing out instead of usual flat.
    Made sense for buka rod on structual walls but not for ones that arent structual/no tie down.

Beats paying for roof cavity tax later :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. kesawi

kesawi Member

Because I had a shit load of old cable sitting around that i didn't have to pay for, it was recommended by my cabler, rope degrades if you don't use the right stuff.

14. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Subscribing. I will be building a 3 bedroom place and I'm able to work with the builder/electrician when it's ready for cabling. The suburb is NBN ready which I'm extremely grateful for. I'm not sure yet where but I need a small place with enough ventilation to install at least a 24 port switch so that cabling throughout the house is efficient. I'm looking at 2 ports per bedroom, 4 in the study, and 4 in the lounge. so that's about 12. Possibly more. Same goes with power points, lots of power points. :thumbup: