Building our first home - Network Setup?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by birdie, Sep 26, 2019.

1. birdie

birdie Member

My wife and I are in the early stages of investigating/planning our first home (building). Now one of the things I'd like to have some consideration for is the network.

I currently have a UniFi AP and plan on getting a USG-Pro 4 (apparently the standard USG is capped at 85Mbit/s and it appears we should be able to get around the 95Mbit/s on NBN FTTN, also the USG-Pro is rack mountable :)) and a UniFi PoE Switch.

Now my question is probably more about whether i should put in a 12RU cabinet in the garage and get the NBN Copper port terminated inside/nearby. I think it would be overkill/more expensive (and potentially over-capitalizing) to add a dedicated data closet, also harder to get wife approval to modify the house plan to include something like that.

As this is our first house we are sticking fairly run-of-the-mill house plan from the builder (4 bedroom, media room, double garage).

I probably would do most of the network install myself once we take handover, just more need to think about where to get stuff positioned (like the NBN termination, and power points)

I probably would only put in a couple of data points in the house (media room - which we are probably more going to use an office/media room, and a data point for a WAP or two (not sure if the UniFi APs use a surface mounted data point or just stick one inside the ceiling with a small hole through for the patch cable?))

Any suggestions or advice?

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

The USG isn't capped I get close to my max speeds on HFC...

3. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Is that running the Smart Queues? I think thats what limits it, also i don't think you can run Smart Queues and IDS/IPS at the same time due to lack of processing power/RAM on the USG?

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

I don't use smart queues

5. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

I went with a USG-PRO-4 so that I have the ability to run Smart-Queues, IPS/IDS, etc without limiting our internet speed (up close to the 100/40). I'm going to grab a UniFi 24 port PoE (US-24-250) soon once i have the spare cash and its on 15% off on eBay again :) I'm also thinking I'll upgrade to 2x NanoHD APs (instead/as well as my current AP-AC-LR), one at each end of the house to cover the whole house hopefully in 5Ghz.

I've worked out that I can probably get away with a single 24 port Cat6 patch panel, and that will cater for a DDO in each bedroom, a couple of DDOs behind the TV in the living room and a couple of DDOs behind the TV in the media room. Also a couple of inside the ceiling mounted SDOs for the roof mounted APs, and then a SDO inside the ceiling in each corner of the house for potential IP camera locations. Looking at going with a Wall mounted 12RU 600mm deep cabinet which should give a bit of space for growth, and a spot for a NAS and UPS if i want.

Question around the PDU/Power Rail, is there any advantages going with an IEC/C13 unit vs a regular 3 pin aus mains plug unit? I leaning more towards the regular 3 pin aus plug unit so it makes it easy to plug in stuff like the power brick for the VDSL modem, etc.

Also anything thoughts on going with a Cloud-Key Gen 2 vs a Raspberry Pi for the management software? (I did see online that its possible to run it in a free Google Hosted VM - so i might investigate that...)

Also any suggestions on IP Cameras? UniFi vs Hikvision?

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

While the garage at first thought seems a good place to put the network rack, it can get rather hot in there especially if the garage doors get any direct sun. Another place to consider is the top of a linen cupboard.

millen likes this.
  7. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Agreed and the linen is "usually" in the centre of the house giving best wifi coverage

8. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Don't need to worry about centre of the house for WiFi... going to have actual ceiling mounted APs in a couple spots in the house :)

Pugs likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Yeah that was my other thought though, wouldn't a "sealed" linen cupboard be worse than a "open" garage? The garage will have insulation in the ceiling and the external walls. It's a panel lift door (so not sure if that's different heat wise to a roller door?)

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Passive network gear should be fine up to 40c ambient usually, sometimes more. The network gear in my garage doesn't complain even in Summer, sun hits the garage door all morning in summer too.

11. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Yeah i checked the specs on the UniFi gear and all of the gear (USG-PRO-4, US-24-250 and UCK-G2-PLUS (if I go with it)) all are spec'ed to 40c. I'll be putting in fans in the cabinet to help with air movement as well.

I'm in Bundy, so probably similar temps to what you get at the Gold Coast...

12. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

If you're building why are you on FTTN? Shouldn't all new premises be FTTP now? Is this like a small subdivsion/battleaxe build?
    If you're on FTTN you may need to reboot the modem, I only have 32 Metres copper to the node and a proper Cisco Router in bridge mode and I still have to do it maybe once a month because it shits out. Router I never have to reboot as it's a proper corporate one.

I have my modem in the lounge room behind the TV as that's where the Leadin from the street is and there was a socket there already so rebooting is prettty easy.
    I just then patch the "LAN" side of the modem through a Wall port to the patch panel and to feed into the WAN port of the Router which is in the garage.

If I was going new I would have put the modem in the garage also, but being FTTN maybe I wouldn't be too quick to do that now.
    If I was HFC/FTTP I wouldn't have an issues with garage, as I've never had to reboot those modems ever.

I'd go with the Garage. You don't want this crap taking up space in your 'wardrobe' or linen closet or your wife will get pissed off.
    Small but not too small comms rack high on the wall out of the way., so that things like car/rack doors don't hit anything. You will probably need a ladder to make adjustments but you don't really go out there everyday.

Powerpoints you don't have to go crazy on. I just have one as I plug it into my UPS. My UPS has only IEC plugs on it as it's a "business UPS" that I got for free as it had bad batteries and just paid the $100 to put new batteries in it.
    Anything that uses an IEC cable plugs directly into the UPS, anything else I have an IEC to Aus Plug adaptor cable and then just plug in a normal powerboard (power bricks etc) If you stick to a brand name like Eaton or APC, NASes like Synologies will be able to USB into the UPS and shutdown safely if needed.

Patch Panel
    Switch
    Modem/Router
    Potentially also enough room for NAS/UPS - (If you're planning on CCTV you need a UPS as if someone cuts your power you still want the CCTV to keep recording.)

I put my garage shelf units under the rack and also the Solar Inverter up high next to the rack out of the way too.
    These way, if needed you can use the top shelf as an extension of your comms rack (PC/UPS etc)

Mine is against an internal wall of the garage so that side is pretty cool even in summer. Just make sure that you don't put it somewhere that you may renovate/adjust in the future.

Keep in mind that 24 Port PoE Switches have fans and depending on the switch they can be quite loud (Typically 24 Port PoE Switches are assumed to be in a server room so noise isn't much of a consideration for the manufacturer). They're also assumed that you could potentially use all 24 ports as PoE so they have huge PSU's and fans accordingly.
    Mine was so loud that I cracked the shits and swapped it for 2x 16 Port Switches (one with 8x PoE and 8x Non-PoE, and the other 16x Non-PoE) so that they're fanless. At this size it's assumed home office type of use so manufacturer adjusts noise parameters accoringly.
    8 PoE Ports is typically the max that you have without needing a fan, which is also more then enough for all the CCTV/AP's you need in a standard house.

13. caspian

caspian Member

no. could be a build on a vacant block, or a knock-down-rebuild, or a smaller subdivision <100 premises where Telstra remains the carrier of last resort, the developer doesn't want to go NBN, and thus Telstra goes in with copper which NBN then uses.

14. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Yeah as caspian said, it's a very small development (by a builder) (only 17 blocks total) so yep it is FTTN. We have been on FTTN in our current rental for the last 4 years and I haven't had to reboot the modem once, the only downtimes have been due to power outages or NBNCo working on the pillar/Node. I've been running the Modem in bridge mode with the USG-PRO-4 for the last few weeks since I got it and haven't had any dramas with it all... We are about 150m from our node currently (get 150/50-ish line sync speed :D) and will be about 300m on the new block.

Yeah plan is just for a single dual GPO in the back of the rack to plug in a UPS. I have a APC 1500VA UPS that I got the same way as you, just needed new batteries... Its probably a bit overkill and heavy for a rack (currently I have been using it to protect/power my 3 3D printers).

Currently I've mapped out:
    Patch Panel
    US-24-250 (24 port poe)
    USG-Pro-4 (gateway)
    UCK-G2-PLUS (Cloud Key Gen 2 + NVR) (If I go with UniFi cameras - if not, some other NVR)
    Shelf for Modem + Smart Hubs
    UPS+NAS

So i think a 12RU would be an appropriate size. I may also add a cable minder or two as well.