Building our first home - Smart-Home Lighting?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by birdie, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Zee

Zee Member

My point is, your review seems fishy, first post, with a review that sounds like it was written by the importer/reseller.

You may very well be a regular person reviewing a product purchased as a regular consumer would, but just look at it from the point of view of long terms members, it seems fishy.

As for quality, 9 months is not really a long term test. I've got products I've installed that have been running for 20 years +. When I suggest a system, I base it on that sort of experience.

Not having a go at you, here. If you were long term member with regular contributions, your review would seem far less suspicious.

Z...

2. CrazySmith

CrazySmith Member

But if you read their online reviews you will feel most of them are fishy and people only used their products for couple of weeks/months. my review was based on my experience and does it matter if it was my first post after registering user account for 3 months? Should I just hide my words for another 3 months then post my reviews?? interesting. As I said I am IT background working for a Aussie family business !
    the product has been in market for over 3 years as I know, is it long enough to test a new product?
    A friend of mine is Fibaro installer and he told me he had started worrying about losing more business if smart light switches keep on increasing in the market. Is this the reason you are so much against my reviews?? LOL

3. Zee

Zee Member

Again, just seems fishing. Not saying it is - the fact you have not simply vanished after your initial post does give you some credibility, so that's a positive for sure.

Fibaro is a different market to the smart switch market, which, again, is a different market to RA2 Select, which is a different market to Dynalite/C-Bus/Homeworks QS etc.

Generally, I see stuff like smart switches as a good thing, potentially, anyway. They are also more of a DIY thing, and keep in mind, a product like the CTEC really is very limited in comparison to Z-Wave.

It does offer a very easy retrofit, though, price wise, based on that Aliexpress listing, would result in about a $250 street price in Aus - which I see as kinda pricey.

I'm assuming it can operate without wifi, though, which means my misgivings about a light switch running on a wifi network are not really an issue.

Z...

4. CrazySmith

CrazySmith Member

Thanks

The systems you spoke about is not that flexible and affordable comparing to smart light switches. Most of time people just want to get couple of switches installed to serve particular purposes. Myself had the switches installed at my front door for security purpose. I paid $120 for a 3 gang switch after 10% discount which is reasonable considering the cost of running a business in Australia ? These guys supply electrical wholesalers and lighting shops which causing the price bit high, that's my own opinion. correct it can be controlled via physical touch.

Happy to discuss further.

5. Zee

Zee Member

Actually, that's not a bad price, usually, there is a significant mark up based on even the Aliexpress (low volume) price.

Z...

6. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Good to know mate. So is it dictated by what the electrician wanted to do when the house was built?

I am lucky my 24 year old house has a neutral which opens my options up somewhat.

7. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Pretty much. I've seen a lot of places where a red+white twin is run down for the light switch.

One way of ensuring you get a neutral for a new installation is to specify illuminated switches, like the Clipsal impress series. https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=CLPDOC_A0000249&p_File_Ext=.PDF

8. Zee

Zee Member

I've yet to see a place (in Sydney) where they run a neutral, unless you make a point of specifying it. Then, prepare to argue why....

Z...

9. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

The argument should be along the lines of 'because I'm fucking paying you to', or something to that effect.

As an electrician myself, lazy electricians annoy the shit out of me.

10. Zee

Zee Member

Yes, I agree, but the fact it needs to be argued it to begin with does my head in.

Z...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

How long's this lack of a neutral on lighting circuits been going on?

13. heller44

heller44 Member

Since we do loop at the light here, not loop at the switch. You can request a neutral available at the switch if you want, but like all things, that'll be extra..

14. Zee

Zee Member

15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

In Victoria it's been the standard for as long as I can remember...?

16. flain

flain Member

If you’re willing to do some work yourself you can save a lot of money by using Mi-Light bulbs (Chinese). They are about $8-10 each. I did my house when I moved in which has 45-50 lights. I’ve had them for over a year now and they’re still all working great. They support full RGB color control etc.

For me the Phillips products just sound absurd, imagine paying for 50 lights at $110 each lol.

17. money_killer

money_killer Member

are they aus approved ?

18. Zee

Zee Member

45-50? I hope you have a decent wifi network!

Z...

19. flain

flain Member

They operate on 2.4ghz but they aren't WiFi. They use a controller box (which does connect to your wifi) that controls groups of lights. There are some custom build controllers you can make if you want to control each light individually but i haven't bothered as i dont really need that. With the amount of groups i have i do have to run 2 separate controllers but thankfully the phone app etc lets you add multiple controllers no problems

Also they work as regular lights too, so when people come over the normal switch works... just means if someones turned it off i need to manually flip the switch back on next time i want the light on. I'm sure smart switches could solve that though. I was using hassbian running on a rpi for google and alexis integration. I have however stopped using it as they decided they wanted to start charging a monthly fee earlier this year. Haven't got around to finding another free solution for that, but to be honest the novelty of asking google to do everything as kind of worn off on me.

20. Zee

Zee Member

OK, so they are actually "smart bulbs", not "wifi bulbs", which are probably working on Zigbee - same underlying tech as Hue.

Z...