Building our first home - Smart-Home Lighting?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by birdie, Sep 26, 2019.

1. flain

flain Member

Correct, i don't really like the idea of wifi bulbs either. Why should i need an ip stack, ip address and take up a client slot on an AP etc for a light bulb lol

They aren't zigbee but more a zigbee compete in a way. If anyones interested there is a good tear down here https://hackaday.io/project/8758-hacking-the-milight-wireless-bulbs. MiLight has been around for quite a long time now so there is a lot of info out there on them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. heller44

heller44 Member

Over here in the far flung west, most light switch runs (and all power points) are chased into the brickwork and plastered over. Makes it a right pain to modify anything without having the place look like a bomb site. I had conduit run everywhere I might need to change anything, ie. all switch locations, and had to fight the mrs over the cost to get it included. Most people don't know, or baulk at the cost during building.

I used a few zwave units fitted in the ceiling each in a jbox, reusing the switch wire as an ELV control wire. Using these even if the control is offline, the switch will still turn on and off the light.

I hate domestic wiring.

3. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, I have this sort of battle with clients every day. trying to explain that a few hundred bucks to maybe a couple of grand now can save tens of thousands later can be difficult when they don't understand why, even when it's explained.

The way you describe the Z-Wave install works quite well. A bit confusing to see what looks like 240V cable used for a simple contact closure, but you should be cutting power when working on lights regardless.

What I find is people have an easier time justifying costs for stuff they can see. I've seen clients cringe at $5k worth of soundproofing (at epic mate's rates!) because their sons bashing the drums for 3 hours each day was pissing off the neighbours, only to see a $20k (!) couch delivered a week later. They can see the couch - they can't see the sound proofing.

Z...

4. Zee

Zee Member

On a side note, I'm going to be doing a "Smart lighting" review post shortly. I'm going to go through quite a few systems, through a wide range of budgets, and I'm going to try and be as unbiased as I possibly can considering I'm in the industry and have my own preferences based on my own experiences.

First two cabs off the rank will be Fibaro Z-Wave and Lutron RA2 Select, seeing as I have both set up and running at my own home.

So keep an eye out, probably will be doing the first post in about 2 weeks from now.

Z...

whatdoesthisdo and TheWedgie like this.
  5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Looking forward to it mate.

6. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Yeah sounds good Zee :)