[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - 3 Foot Colonial Viper MkII

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

https://www.buildsbybaz.com/3-foot-colonial-viper-mk-ii/

THE TIME HAS COME.

The full scale Viper is in storage and on pause while I renovate part of my house and build a bigger shed/workshop. I've been putting this off for a long time because of some fears.

1. I might lose much motivation because it will be very difficult to work on in the dismantled state.

2. It may get rodent or water damaged in storage.

3. The rest of my intrusive life may get in the way of completing it.

I'm a pretty determined kind of a bloke, so I will fight all the way, but these are the things on my mind to watch out for. I can't afford to buy the hundreds of dollars in resin just yet as I have to find funds for the renovation and the new shed, which is up in the thousands, even though I am building both of them myself as an owner-builder.

In the meantime, I have a little three-foot model of the Viper to work on in the shed, that doesn't take up any room. This should keep me inspired and help work out a few things, like mounting the wings and guns. A difficult part of the build that makes sense to do small, before moving on to full size.

The Viper will be cast in aluminium with brass and copper highlights and detailing. I have a magnificent picture in my head of the finished model of highly polished metals, now to bring it out into the real world. I've made a start on the pattern for the mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Progressing a bit quicker than the, "other" one.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I spent a good 15 hours in the shed today and got a fair bit done. Built the top wing. Turned the cannons out of a couple of hardwood garden stakes, then did some work on the side wings, assembled the top engine nacelle and continued with fill between the formers. Lots of fiddly stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ratzz, DSTM (Dougie) and RyoSaeba like this.
  4. Soc

Soc Member

That's gonna be a hell of a lot of aluminium needed to cast that solid....

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Yes, that's right.

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Had a couple of hours in the shed tonight. Started filling in between formers on the three engines. Fiddly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Simplifying some of the shapes for casting. Shaped blind hollows can be poured separately and joined later. The tail recess can be filled and the bottom of the tail shaped to sit on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the shapes to be refined and cast.

[​IMG]

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So the mini version is all going to be cast aluminium? Will it be sold or auctioned on completion, or just added to the rest of the stuff for events?

I'd be proud to own that, I don't have the space to keep the full scale version :lol: but that would look mint as a centrepiece on my dining table.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I will probably keep it for myself, but I may make one or two more afterwards, or even at the same time, depending on how it goes. I may offer them out.... ;)

Baz.

10. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Patreon.

I've never given money for some rando to send their dying child to america for experimental cancer treatment or whatever, but I'll sure as shit give you money for your viper resin to ensure that all this keeps going. Just sayin'.

die_piggy likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Awwww, you're a good bloke Darth. :D

B.

12. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

One brass cannon turned. Nice warm shed, cuppa soup, comfy chair and some tunes. It's good to have machines that do the work while you watch. I'm in no condition to strain and stress at the moment. Keeps my bugs away from others too. Still pretty drained though. I'll do the other one on another day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came up with an inventive way to slot the cannon sections by clamping my Dremel with an end mill bit in it. Indexing achieved by working out circumference of chuck and dividing by the number of slots. Glued on an indicator needle point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

One cannon completed, slots all indexed in and finished to a high polish.
    Started the second cannon tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In between everything else, I have slowly been building form and detail on the wings. They look a bit rough at this stage, but they get better with every session I spend on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Damn Baz, a full size viper is not cutting the mustard, now it is time for a mini me before the grand finale.

15. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Too right Alby!

Second cannon turned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Cannons finished and given some protection while they wait for the rest of the ship to be completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pics showing various parts of the three footer at different stages. Because I am using a variety of scrap material and fillers, the sanded finish is difficult to get consistent. Some of it sands very easily, leaving convex depressions in the surface, while the harder materials leave lumps and bumps. To try to solve this, I'm sealing the parts with a lacquer, akin to resin hardening. At least after a few coats of that, I can apply a single putty, then sand it down to the hardened surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSTM (Dougie) and Agg like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

A little progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]