Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, May 15, 2017.
Thanks guys. Just building a little detail in the landing gear cowlings tonight.
I love this, always striving for more awesome hey baz ;D
Striving to add more hours to a day so I can get this thing finished more like...
Thanks to a new social media friend named Sean, who kindly provided a long off-cut of rubber mat to simulate the texture of the technical drawings. Preliminary fit shows it is easy to cut and trim using a knife, but will need some contact adhesive to lock it down flat.
After contact adhesive. Lovely and flat.
Adding hydraulic lines using plastic coat-hangers. (Still gotta glue down the rubber mat.)
Replacing the catapult linkage. I’ve kicked and broken the plywood/plastic one twice now, so it’s time to replace it with 10mm plate steel and steel tube. Strong enough to sling-shot a Viper out of a launch tube!
Build update video.
OOOoohhh that sleek, sexy shape! A couple of hours of sanding has produced spectacular results.
Also got the template plans for the last set of fuselage formers. Engines next!
Module 5, the last one in the fuselage, bringing it to full length of 8.4 metres. Progress shots.
The last fuselage module, (5) is now assembled, attached and ready for bracing and skinning.
Damn Baz, that motherfracker is getting huuuuuuge!
Guys who tinker in their shed like this are the salt of the earth!
Yeah, I'm afraid of the Mrs now....
I do sweat a lot over these things....
I have a bit of welding to do inside, that I've been putting off.
Some alignment lugs at each opposing end of the modules where they meet.
Feet under the cockpit that come all the way to the skin, so I can rest it on a pallet and frame without breaking it.
Frames at the bottom of the first and last former of each module, so that if they are dropped during assembly, they don't break on the ends.
Finally, some rings welded under the frames that I can slide poles under. through the sides of each module, for manual handling and positioning of the modules during assembly and disassembly of the ship.
This new phone camera is shit.
Photo showing modular sections on end for transport and storage.
She's really a Cylon, amirite?
Gosh I hope so...
Tonight I welded support rails under the chassis frame and raised the fuselage to correct height. Now I can work out the landing gear attachment points. I've been putting this off for a while but it has got to the point now that I have to do it because the build is progressing way faster than I thought it would. Having the fuselage higher will also make it easier to finish skinning the underside.
20 May 2018 OWEEE!! Saturday was a day I had set aside and planned for about three weeks. I had barely got started when BAM! The Viper frame of module two slipped off it's alignment lugs and dropped with full force onto my finger on the saw-horse underneath it. The force mashed the meat of my finger so that it popped out the side and fractured the bone. Five hours of waiting in the Emergency Department of my local hospital and the daylight was gone.
Since then, I've rested a little but started to test what I can do with the remaining fingers while trying to keep the bandaged one out of harm's way.
I've tinkered a little, adjusting an undersized former in module and screwed in a couple of electrical busses to hook all my 12V instruments into for easy connection and fault diagnosis, I've also welded in the guides for the lifting poles for a two-person carry of a module.
Tonight I managed to get module two into position at full height with some creative rope-work and careful chocking. Made a sturdy frame under it that bolts to the saw-horse so it shouldn't drop on my finger again.
Damn mate, you got lucky :O
^^^ Yep, could have been a lot worse.
More skinning last night with one hand tied behind my back...
looks amazing baz, love it!