[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Tonight's program, pre-cutting the polystyrene and fitting it into the underside, ready for a day of glue-up tomorrow. I'd like to get that all finished tomorrow so I can start on sanding the whole ship down.

Finished up about 1am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viper's-eye view of Baz, skinning underneath it.

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Experimenting with some cheap wood for the centre part of the cannons. Glued and doweled together, I will knock 45's off the corners and turn on the lathe to 148mm diameter, then reduce where needed for details.

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Engines off, correcting the height and angle of the starboard engine. Noticed a height difference in a front on photo and measured it to confirm. A difference of 10mm at the mounting point translates to 40mm down at the front. I can't live with that so let's roll the sleeves up and get it fixed!

[​IMG]

Did I mention that the Viper is now entirely freestanding? No saw-horses. My friend Alex came over today and helped me jack the engine block up high enough to remove the last one. In taking the engines off to correct the alignment, I also took the opportunity to finish cutting and pre-fitting the last of the skin around the main engine block. Productive day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Another midnight gone.

Unfortunately I don't have a wood lathe, but with a bit of creative thinking, I was able to make a tool rest for woodworking chisels and get things moving. The carriage on my lathe gets right in the way of large diameter stuff, so I pushed the tailstock back as far as it would go and cut my boxed timber in half.

After mitring the corners off the boxed timber with a circular saw, I mounted plywood plates to each end for the centres and turned it from octagon into cylinder and went from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EvilGenius and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  5. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Amazing craftsmanship working with what you have, you really go all out. :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks Ma. :D

Update:

MASSIVE DAY! I decided that, while the canons I have turned on the lathe look OK, they are not great. So, my friend Myles, who runs a furniture designing business and workshop, offered me a professional solution.

I spent most of today with him, watching and helping with my jaw on the ground as to the processes involved in high-end woodworking. The cuts are so sharp! The surfaces so flat! The angles so precise! Wow!

For the coopering, we started with rough timber, planed, then kerfed and thicknessed. Myles knows his stuff about tensions in the grains releasing as you cut it, causing bends and twists, so we did everything in increments as we cut, adjusting where needed when something bowed.

We calculated two different diameters and thicknesses, one for the rear of the cannons and one for the front. We got as far as biscuit joining them all together, to be glued later for turning.

I shot a heap of video, but as I am currently studying video editing, I will hold off posting the clips until I can present them all nicely in a canon-build video. I think it deserves it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Very impressive. It lacks the magic touch of 'built by Baz' though. Although I am sure they did a great job, and of course you were there assisting, it isn't entirely 'built by Baz' which is a shame. Still, it adds to the already excellent workmanship, that has to be a good thing.

Of course I realise that you have had a lot of help from mates along the way, and the project has been enhanced by their generous support.

I bet you looked at their equipment in envy. I know I do. I often wish I had become a cabinetmaker or similar woodworking trade rather than getting a science degree. Wood is just such a satisfying medium. If I had a decent workspace, I wouldn't hesitate buying a lathe and thicknesser.

8. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

We all have our limits mate, whether it be money, equipment, time or skill. The trick is to know these limits and work around them. Strangely, I happen to be placed perfectly, every time I conduct a project, around people and situations that can help. It's almost spooky.

I went to Myles to ask for his advice and he very kindly offered to help. I'm doing the grunt work for him while he is the brains with all the woodworking tricks of a professional, unlike a hack like me. I'm loving it because I'm learning so much from him as I go, with hands-on involvement.

So, while I have got a huge boost from his expertise and machinery, I'm there, doing it with him and it is still built by Baz.

Ratzz likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Another big day in a pro woodworking studio, building 30mm mass accelerator cannons for the Viper. Glue-up day. We placed spacer blocks inside first, to centre our support pipe.

We also made driver blocks to attach to the lathe on the faceplate and the live centre on the tail stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Making the Mk II 30mm mass accelerator cannons has been challenging. Keeping it light, but accurate and tough, as well as not too expensive. My friend Myles and I, finished coopering the pine sections together to form hollow tubes of the correct internal and external diameters to keep it light but give us enough material to lathe in the details.

Today I started turning the front half of the first cannon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Looking mint mate! (this needs some wheels and a couple of electric motors so you can 'fly' around Canbrah! :D

12. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks mate. :D

Front half of first mass accelerator cannon turned to size and sanded silky smooth!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Started on the next one. I'll do both front ends first, change arbours the do the back ends.

[​IMG]

In the mean-time at home, I'm working on the engine exhausts and the internal turbines.

[​IMG]

Stack of engine exhaust rings, ready to assemble the turkey feathers on.

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I've been working on concurrent activities all over the ship, but while some things are on hold, waiting for the right moment/planets to align,. my workbench at home has the engine exhausts on the go.

I toyed with roll-forming steel rings to make a cage, but the hollow section profiles proved problematic at best, so I have gone back to wood.

Here's the top engine exhaust under construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

After working on the spacing a little, I ran out of reasonable hours to keep making noise, so I started planning out the turbine fans in aluminium plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Today was a good mix of the engine work and a little trip out to Myles' place to finish turning the cannons. I brought the barrel ends home tonight with a couple of borers, to drill them out to 30mm as per the ammunition calibre.

Back in the shed tonight and continued on the engine turkey feathers, than a bit of sheetmetal cutting to make the turbine fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

After work this afternoon, I returned to Myles’s workshop to finish gluing up the cannons. Myles had a few nice little tips and tricks that made things go smoother, plus because of his earlier precision, I was able to use the octagonal arbours we made to fill the end of the guns and centre and seat the barrel. Not shown, I dowelled the octagons and removed the screw. Myles suggested that I might want to bore the barrel end out later and the screw would get in the way. I agreed.

I spent all my earnings from a recent knife sale and bought paint and glue for the next few stages. Last night I stayed up until well after midnight to paint an engine exhaust and one of the guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full story on all builds on https://www.buildsbybaz.com

18. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Scratch-designing my turbines at the rear. I know I am taking a lot of licence inside these engines, especially after being so careful to stay faithful everywhere else... but something the X-Wing fighter on display last year, at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome showed me - is that some static displays suck.

Sure it LOOKED similar to the fighter from the movies, but close inspection revealed it to be flat, static, flimsy, rough molded and BORING. My engines will be multi layered, have depth and moving parts. Light, sound and motion.

Bear with me...

I have used a combination of lightweight and easy to source materials, sacrificing a little bit of weight for weldablility, as I can't weld aluminium to save my life, so I've used steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one has everything just sitting on top at the moment. Once assembled, it will be lower profile.

[​IMG]

19. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Please tell me there will be motors for them to spin!

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

That would be a resounding yes.