[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Iron Bazderwoman is moving into Railguns... knives got boring :lol:

2. pelmen

pelmen Member

Now you're talking my language :) That's a Newtek Lightwave Object file (the 3d model itself) not a widely supported import format from what I've found but I have the software to convert to almost any other format if you need, no tinkering and no problem.

So far it sounds like something I could do and definitely something I have done from drawings included in scale model kits (search online for "blueprints", theres a heap of sites with orthogonal views scanned from paper instructions in plastic model kits). Have you searched sites like TurboSquid or Thingiverse to see if there is a 3D model already made that might suit? Again I could convert that to another 3D format for you if needed.

Direct measuring off a scale model itself amplifies tolerances from the moulding process and material shrinkage after casting and allowances for parts to fit. But it does give you fairly good dimension ratios to get features in proportion to each other. From there I used to try to find any technical specs that list an accurate dimension for something (eg overall length) and use that to determine scaling factor as a 1:32 will NOT be 32 times smaller than its lifesize version, it'll be approximate but not accurate. Even if you have good height, length, width dimensions they will all be different scales on the model. But those are the best to have to work with and will be closest but still you may need to average them to get a scaling factor to work with.

I would love to say I'll do it, but wouldn't want to let you down, sitting and breathing are enough of a struggle since my stroke (I built 3d models from my medical data after I got out of hospital). Converting model formats at least I should have no problem with. Slicing a model up like the horse in The Cage or cross sections of a ship hull maybe, but boolean operations like that can result in nasty polygons to clean up. To keep in mind if you need slices to go to a machine for fabrication/ etching / etc.

I threw out my 3D scanning turntable years ago when I was dabbling in 3D scanning with a camera (I dont know if your photos would be of much use, it required precise angle turns and a neutral bluescreen backdrop and good lighting to work, concave portions are problematic too. My 3d laser scanner is proving a hassle too getting the lasers focused.

Hell, if you get stuck I'll put my hand up, but you'll be dealing with more of a pain in the ass than you. Regular email comms no problem (unless i'm in bed), but i can't give timeframes just because everything takes me longer to do these days and I have no idea myself, I have no social life or family to intrude either and am still a perfectionist so will probably spend way too long tweaking as usual. But so far looks doable, not much interested in payment, I enjoy being useful. So let me know if you want to take a risk on me for help. :)

3. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Thank you sir! I will keep your very generous offer in mind, however my two guys seem to be handling it so far. One of them has been working with a 3D file he found online that is exquisitely close to my model and what I want to achieve.

He's in the process of closing all the gaps in the sections and refining the polygons to generate the slices I need as an end result. My other guy is on standby for the completed 3D polygon model file, then the two of them will be working off the same file.

I have it so they can take sections each to spread the load a bit. It also acts as a bit of insurance if one of them has to drop out because of life.

With that in mind, at least if they both drop out I will have the original file and won't have to start from scratch.....again...

Baz.

4. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Depending on what you're building it may be possible to get school STEM program to help. Got any more details you can pass on?

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Very hard to pass on anything without giving it away. Once I get into the build itself and have something to show, then I'll release all info. Until then, my two guys seem to be on top of it. Thanks mate.

Baz.

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

GETSOME!!!! It BEGINS!!!

First set of blueprints for the new project. Spent the day clearing a ten metre workspace to build it.

I've traced out some templates onto a harder material today. Tomorrow i start cutting!

[​IMG]

7. Micah.

Micah. Member

I have to admit I am very excited to find out what you are building and to see it being built.

8. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Can't even start to imagine what it is, if it is going to dwarf Iron man.

9. underskore

underskore Member

observatory/iron man/knives/wonder woman/???
    gundam?
    I'm just throwing it out there as they are large but it doesn't seem like the right fit :confused:

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I got a beaut chunk of steel I beam to make my straight jig. This will enable me to make nice straight modular sections that once finished, I can dismount, set aside and start on the next section.

[​IMG]

Today I started cutting the material into the shapes I need to construct the first part of my new project. I got about 2 and a half metres worth of frame done.

I have around $700 worth of foam and plywood sheets, plus I got a whole stack of 1 inch thick produce boxes I can hot-wire into flat bits then glue and stack them together for sculpting. Still got to get a heap more. this will only get a bit of the job done.

Still have to aquire a stack of steel and aluminium RHS to build the internal support frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. redav

redav Member

Awesome! It looks like it'll be Ironman the size of the Statue of Liberty!

12. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Cmon Baz, a few more crumbs please.

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I am well underway with it now. Here's a few teaser pics of parts of the project and a newly purchased essential tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm going to guess some kind of decepticon/transformer thing, going by the amount of CAD planning etc.

15. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

HULKBUSTER!!! :D

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

OK, time for a clue....

The process of elimination begins....

It's NOT a suit. I am so over suits. Totally moving away from suits. :sick:

17. Micah.

Micah. Member

I think/hope it's a vehicle of some description the more epic the better!

18. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Mad Max class of vehicle?? :thumbup:

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Eva thinks it's a phone box for Iron Man quick change suiting up, a la Superman. I've tried to point out the sheer size of it, she just insists you probably need a lot of room to change in, and storage for the suit :lol:

I'm embarrassed to say I suggested it may be a Tardis type thing (although that would also be too small), with much more room on the inside than outside, but she doesn't know what a Tardis is :confused:

20. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

So a mech suit is a suit. Bugger :(