[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

I could use spray putty first, then give it a light sand, followed by paint. Lots of hard work though and I would have to take them all apart again. Depends on how much I really want to hide it and to what extent. As I've already pulled them apart twice now, I am reluctant to do it again now that I am really happy with them, so I think I'll just slap a few thicker layers of black paint on them with the brush.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Still quite sick. Had this bloody flu for over 3 weeks now. Slept most of today, but mid- afternoon, I needed fresh air. Spent some time just chilling in the back yard, then pottered around in the shed for a bit. I could have done a lot more, but I took it easy today.

I've been using scraps from a neighbour's skip bin, some plastic coat-hangers, shower fittings and the demolished timber from my pergola as I tear it down from over the Viper and prepare for the renovations where it stands. Beats buying timber. It's nice Oregon and very well seasoned.

All the bits in the fuselage side avionics access panel are just sitting in there for now. I have to recess the opening a little more and then create a back-board to fix them all to, align and pretty it all up with some more visible bolt heads and a little effects paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Something i've been wondering but never bothered asking... what are you going to do with this thing when it's finished?

4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

comicons, Supanovas, etc. Displays and conventions as they occur, some fun photography in cool locations, perhaps some charity events etc etc.

DSTM (Dougie) and krappo like this.
  5. Falcon

Falcon Member

if things get really out of hand....... fly

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Tell me grinding the geometries on these suckers, weren't a pain in the bum.

Now that all the greeblies in the avionics access panels are made, I have to recess the opening further in, until nothing is outside the level of the skin of the aircraft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JohnnyWazza, trop, Bombster and 2 others like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

After today's Iron man gig at the Rise above Convoy for Cancer in Canberra, I went straight back into the shed and got busy on the avionics access panels. Pretty much done, now to recess the fuselage a little more to allow them to fit, then trim the edges off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

They're in!!! They fit!! WOOOT!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAD for the tail and wings have arrived and printed life size today! Baz is making a top wing tonight!!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Thanks to Mr remain anon, "P".

[​IMG]

RyoSaeba and Zee like this.
  9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've never been sure just which version of Battlestar Galactica this Viper comes from. I've just started rewatching, first time for years, the version which has Lorne Green in it.
    Looking at the Vipers in the opening episode, it sure looks like this is the one.

Which brings me to the Cylons. A new project comes to mind. The Cylons look so much cooler than Iron Man, with their mirrorlike armour and moving LED visors (a la Knight Rider's Kitt). A thought for the future? Or do you prefer only to emulate 'The Good Guys' :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

It's actually the MkII from the new reimagined 2003 series. I liked the Lorne Greene version when I was a kid, but find it incredibly cheesy now and the lines of the older Viper unattractive. I don't think I'll be doing any more suits, and this project will likely be the last of my life-size builds. It's taking over my life and I just don't have time.

Hopefully someone else has been watching and has become inspired enough to take over that mantle.

Baz.

11. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Tail wing taking shape!

[​IMG]

qwertylesh likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Assembling tail wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

qwertylesh likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Lol. Found an old tin of red paint and had a minute of fun. This will motivate me a bit. I have to round all the edges and corners, plus go over the lot with an orbital sander, but sometimes a splash of paint just helps me visualise the end goal a bit clearer.

[​IMG]

qwertylesh likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Took it all apart, refined the edges, sanded it all smooth, rounded all the corners. Reassembled, four coats of self priming paint then added the Battlestar designation and squadron colours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAESAR and RyoSaeba like this.
  15. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

OOoooh yeah!

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Viper Tail installed. I had to widen the slot on top of the top engine nacelle slightly to fit the tail wing in, but once done, (pretty simple) it went straight in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks to my mate Russell, for all your help getting me started in video editing. Here's my first attempt, using transitions, tiltles and pic in pic editing. As I become more familiar with the program and what it can do, hopefully the quality of the vids will improve.

Gotta start somewhere.

Baz.

18. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Pretty killer intro for just starting out, you are too modest sir.

19. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

The intro was rendered by Punx0r for my use.

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Finally made it to the hardware store and spend my $50 allowance! Back to building! Yay!

Lower aft panel complete, started on the upper aft panel. I should have that one finished tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RyoSaeba and SimParadox like this.