[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Surprise on my doorstep!!!! A random kindness from an internet friend. He just sent me 20 square metres of 300GSM chopped strand fibreglass mat to skin the Viper with! I've also picked up a generous gift of 300 square metres of 100GSM mat. I am continually blown away by the kindness and generosity of people who see a project and want to support it.

Thanks to the generosity of two total strangers, I have all the fibreglass mat I need to skin the Viper. Now to work on the resin, one which does not eat polystyrene. Bote-coat or similar...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My boss was also good enough to cut out the steel support vanes for the rear turbines. Looks like I've got some welding to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I've been working on the upper aft panel. A mate from work converted a 3D file for me, then CNC routed it out of a piece of my demolished pergola. Something went wrong with the scale in the 3D file, so it printed too small, but it came out nice so we will do it again and up the scale. You can see from the photo I have in my hand below, it really needs to fill the space in the middle of the pane. Works out to about 300mm, which makes sense because a lot of stuff made in the US rounds off to the nearest inch or foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I wait for that, I've been working wood and plastic to make the rest of the panel and paint it up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    qwertylesh likes this.
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Having found the correct version of BG ( I was sure I didn't remember Lorne Greene in the version I knew :lol: ) I'm well into season 3. Now I'm thinking you need to build a Raptor to go with the Viper.. and of course, since you like your projects to be insane ;) .. a full scale version of the Galactica herself.. or even bigger.. Pegasus. I'm thinking you might need to move to some acreage for those though :D

qwertylesh likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

RE: A full sized Galactica... I already pitched that idea to Sir Richard Branson. Still waiting on a reply. :D

Ratzz likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Mounted the upper aft panel then started building the edge around it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patching up holes and adjusting curves to improve shape before fibreglassing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you want FTL drives, you'll need Elon Musk. Branson is an enabler, not an innovator.

Also, I can't see Branson ever saying "Frack 'em", whereas Musk would have no problem with that :D

I am so looking forward to seeing your Viper under glass.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I am the innovator. I just need the enabler. :p

Ratzz likes this.
  7. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

Patreon!

8. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Working on the rear cages for the exhaust turbines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At work, we had a couple of split and failed shield bosses, so I cut the flanges off them, polished them up and thought they might look better as the centre hubs on the intake fans. The existing hubs are turned from a 90mm post, so they look a bit small. Also, the plywood fan blades are starting to peel and look ratty, so I'm going to replace them with aluminium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I am under enormous pressure from my family to build this extension, right where the Viper stands now. I have to modify my garden shed to temporarily accept the modules, stacked in until required. Later, the whole building will come down to be replaced with a hangar. On Sunday, I cut the front wall off, framed it and turned it into a door, wide enough to get the palletised cockpit in. (Cockpit being the largest, widest module.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Starting to get the hang of this video editing now. Each time it's a little easier and I find another cool feature I can use. Here's the latest on the Viper engine turbines.

DSTM (Dougie) and EvilGenius like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

The next and one of the final outer detail jobs, are the mechanicals under the top engine cowling. Surprisingly easy to replicate, once I stopped to study it.

Here's a reference photo from the screen-used prop.
    [​IMG]

Again, lots of leftover materials used, but I had to buy a length of PVC pipe that was a specific diameter that I didn't have. My next door neighbour gave me a heap of old 50mm pipe. Design work chicken scratches on a bit of old ply, after using a tape measure up on the engine and my blurry MkI eyeball. Gets the job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Starting to fit mechanical into the top engine nacelle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Agg and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks to my friends Tony Celliers of Dynamic Digital Creations for the 3D file, and Mark T from Tharwa Valley Forge for modifying said file, then CNC routing it out of a random bit of biscuit-joined wood. After a glue together and clean-up, it painted to look pretty darned good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a couple of ergonomics in the 3D cad, that translated to shapes my eye could not accept in the real. This week, I layered on some more foam on top of the nose, to correct the drop from the cockpit firewall to about half way down the nose. I also got rid of a ledge on the top that shouldn’t have been there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JohnnyWazza and Agg like this.
  13. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Looking good mate!

14. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

^^ Thanks mate. :D

I got the top engine and top wing back on today, now with the engine mechanical installed. Final detailing can be done while it's up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ratzz likes this.
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Damn I'm looking forward to seeing this finished. Can you take a few months paid leave by any chance? :lol:

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I wish...

17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ANNOUNCEMENT: PROJECT ON PAUSE FOR HOME RENOVATIONS

Full explanation here.

Apologies - I'll be back.

Baz.

18. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

My talented tailor friend, has been working on the flight suit. Tonight's consultation and fitting was a big leap in progress. We are nearly ready to cut the real material now that the proportions and positioning of the armour scales and vest have been worked out. Photos look a little bit out because the armour isn't yet sewn to the suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shredder and Ratzz like this.
  19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Damn, you don't mess around do you? You look like foreman material in those new clothes ;)

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Actually, the suit has been very slow going. The tailor is an extremely talented and sought after craftsman. I've also not put any rush or deadline on him. he's worked in costuming in a lot of blockbuster movies. I've got the right man for the job, that's for sure.

Baz.