1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Builds By Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Lookin' good mate! :D

Builds By Baz likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Building! Viper hangar/workshop.

I got the front two mullions up today. They were a pain in the ass, but I got them done and am calling it a day. Sheeting by Thursday I reckon.

At least I got a good view of the fires from my scaffold. So glad they are over and after nearly two months, we have clean air. The rain is nice too.

The Viper will be parked in the right hand roller door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Is there anything you can't do??? I am in awe as usual, that's a damn pro looking construction :thumbup:

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, just wow......that thing is just crazy insane! I'm just in awe at its shear size :wired:

qwertylesh and Builds By Baz like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Thanks guys.

Things have been crazy in my life - I feel like I'm going a little insane. I'm tired, sore and ready to retire. Only another 17 years.

I've had a couple more flight suit sessions with my tailor, he doing the skilled sewing machine stuff and I doing the grunt work, cutting and gluing stuff for him to sew on. The right leg thigh pocket was a bit of a mongrel. We had four attempts at it to get it right. Finally, that one is out of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last bits of padded and covered plates are glued up and top-stitched onto the back. The photo looks skewiff because I've just draped it over my shoulders and am holding the sides in with my elbows. Trust me, it's symmetrical and the right size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also made a good start on the flak vest. The neoprene plates have been backed and stiffened, then covered with pigskin suede. This is what was used in the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I have been squeezing in an hour here and an hour there, (most of that time is eaten up by dragging tools and power outside then packing it all up when finished.) on the new hangar/workshop. Today I got the last of the big bolts drilled and fastened. A few more tech screws in engineer specified places and the sheeting is ready to go on.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

New hangar is up. I had a little bit of help from friends to do the big lifts, but for the most I've had to do it alone, especially at the moment as we are in the middle of all the new rules on social distancing because of COVID-19.

Most of the modular sections of the Viper I moved back in last night. I've been able to do a lot while I stay at home, but I also need to watch my pennies, which is slowing me down.

Still to do - Stud wall down the length of the hangar to separate the 3m door from the 4m door, insulation, power, lighting, drywall on the insides, weld up some new work benches, install machinery, etc etc. I've a long way to go and without the ability to go where I want, when I want, it's going to be yet another delay.

I still need a few bodies to help me push the rest of the Viper, (main fuselage/engineblock/landing gear), from one end of the house, down the driveway, up the street then navigate the kerb into the other driveway and into the new hangar. I can then reassemble it and start the fibreglass work. With limits on social gatherings of no more than two people at the moment, I'm going to have to wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

holy hell man, you really do some cool af shit. :D

very awesome :thumbup:

8. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

SO damn sexy! Nice work Captain.

9. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Sorry I've been slow on the updates. The coronavirus lockdowns have given me opportunity in many ways, to get things done, but in other ways have hampered me terribly. All in all, I have been hyper busy and got a lot done. To earn extra cash to get the Viper hangar/workshop finished, I have been forging prospectors tools, something I have developed over the last couple of years of gold prospecting in the field. Each time I sell a tool, I can go to the local hardware store and buy more wood, steel and fasteners. Slowly getting there.

[​IMG]

When I have no money, I roll up the sleeves and get the labour done where the extension on the other end of my house is to be built. After lifting the paver bricks, I discovered a concrete driveway underneath. At least now when I push the Viper around to the other side of the house, I have one less step to negotiate with the wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I built a stud wall down the side of the hangar bay. Hopefully I can sell enough tools to go get some more wood and finish it.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

THE PLAN - To move and reassemble the Viper in it's new hangar on Friday!

11. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

VIPER IS IN IT'S HANGAR!!! Thanks to my mates Alex , David, Garry, Joe and Patrick, for the muscle!

Now is to the opportunity to remove the rotting plywood from the landing gear and replace it with steel cladding, while also installing axles at the base of each foot for built in wheels. Can't wait!

There are some repairs to do to the polystyrene, which has been damaged in the constant moving over the last year or two, but this is minor. I will reinforce, solidify, seal and fix gaps, get the canopy frame welded up and polycarbonate windshields cut and fitted. The electrics in the cockpit need tidying up and fixing. Sound systems for the engines can now be brought in and experimented with, then fitted. Wings still to be framed and fitted, followed by the cannons, complete with 15 rounds of 30mm link each wing.

Avionics and engine access panels will be back in tomorrow and the whole ship given a clean, de-cobweb and remove a couple of wasp nests.

Full build on http://www.buildsbybaz.com

Cheers!

Baz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oooo nice!!! can't wait for more updates! Those ammo looks legit! ... Wait they are fake right? :lol:

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Baz, are there materials or equipment that you need which people can help you out with?

Donations towards your various projects, and by extension the good causes you support, which are a little less impersonal than just cash? For example, fibreglass mat and resin, paint, tools, etc, or maybe work to be done on your behalf such as the CAD stuff I know you already receive?

May I suggest that perhaps if you were to post a list of some of those needs, some of us, and certainly myself, would be happy to help out. Kinda like a wedding wish list :lol: with items both large and small to suit varying donor's budgets.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    DSTM (Dougie) and Ma Baker like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Thanks mate, that's very kind.

Not this time mate. The Observatory and Iron Man suit both had missions of charity towards sick kids and youth education, but this thing is purely for me - no charity mission. Overclockers members have already been generous to the point of making me cry and I don't feel that it is appropriate this time.

Some people have given me some fibreglass mat, but that's just because they had it laying around and offered. Now that the Viper is protected in it's hangar, I can plug away at it in my own time without worrying about it decaying - no rush for money or materials - it will happen in it's own time.

Baz loves Overclockers. Just share the joy with others and inspire that creative streak that gives people worth and encourages them to pull themselves out of sadness, depression and loneliness, by filling their time with amazing projects and building their skills.

Baz.

DSTM (Dougie), Ma Baker and Ratzz like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

16. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Wow I missed catching up on this thread it seems. Great job Baz really inspirational.

17. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Thanks mate. :D

Baz.

18. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Now that the Viper is happily protected in it's new hangar, it's time to clean up, realign the modules, get the wheel carts out from under it and give it all a good once over.

There's quite a bit of warping from being left in the weather. The tarpaulins only did so much and it's very good they were there. Most of it is fine, but pretty dirty. Cobwebs, dirt, dust and wasp nests inside the cockpit. The plywood cladding on the legs is totally destroyed by the weather, peeling and rotting. Easily fixed and I was going to change them for steel cladding anyway. If anything, the rotting wood is easier to remove now.

It was tricky levering the weight of the viper up high enough to remove the trolleys, but I got it down nice and gentle.

The electrics seem mostly intact and after a quick start-up, all works well except for a couple of twitchy lights which are easy enough to rectify.

I've given the cockpit a thorough brush, vacuum and wash down and it's looking good. Time to start building!

Baz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 10:46 PM
    mariomart, RyoSaeba and Ma Baker like this.