1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Builds By Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Great write-up!
    Especially the bits about people donating parts and your contact with Lee and Doug.
    Edit: Took this as a good cue to have a read back through the whole thread, enjoying seeing it go from planning/design to physical object.

This gave me a chuckle:
    Now you'll need a disclaimer somewhere stating that "no state or federal laws were broken in the creation of this Colonial Viper MkII". :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Ratzz and Builds By Baz like this.
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Ratzz likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

02 Feb 2022

Lock-down in Canberra 2021 saw me getting very busy in the forge, madly trying to survive with a bit of extra cash to make it through the tough times, as well as home schooling my kids. Since then, I just haven’t been able to get back into the swing of things, much less work on the Viper.

Finally, last week I got off my arse and installed a retro-fit radio into the cockpit. The instrument is broken and all the internals are burnt out, but my friend Matt is an aviator and volunteered his kindness to slip in an Arduino-controlled LCD screen with a chosen frequency displayed. (Can you guess what the numbers come from?)

A couple of nights ago I got another mate of mine, James, (of Iron Man electronics fame) to come and tinker some more with the electrics, making it safer and neater than my red wire-black wire skills.

Each night, it is my intention to wire a 12v micro LED into each instrument, to light the faces.

https://www.buildsbybaz.com/cockpit-instrument-lighting/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ratzz, oinka2, fredhoon and 14 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Come for a ride?

Ratzz, BlueRaven, breech and 3 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Sneak out front... check coast is clear... listen for cars... check for sneaky dog-walkers...
    RIPROLLERDOORUPTAKEPHOTOSCLOSEROLLERDOOR!!!
    and done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Akh-Horus, Ratzz, the_fuzz and 9 others like this.
  6. BlueRaven

Belt of "cannon shells" just piled up on the ground.

Yeah shut the roller door quick after the photo op mate... :lol:

Ratzz, oinka2 and Builds By Baz like this.
  7. Sledge

Sledge Member

you ARE going to do a spray on screen over the canopy and use this for Star Citizen when it's released aren't you?

8. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I don't even know what that is....

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

Which? The spray on screen? Or star citizen?

10. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

And there's meant to be a 'spray on' or 'paint on' screen being worked on too... but i can't find it atm..
    so you can basically make any surface a screen/monitor

I still can't believe you didn't make a guest appearance on Big Bang Theory in your suit....

12. BlueRaven

The spray-on screen thing is new to me... I'm about to start an Electronics apprenticeship, guess I'd better be looking into it.

Reckon Baz could do some pretty cool stuff with that tech, you're right there.

ed: deleted my previous long explanation re. Star Citizen, doesn't belong in this thread.
    I'm sure Baz knows how to use google. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  13. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I didn't mind at all mate. I used to game a lot on tomb raider and battlefield 2, but my addictive nature made sure that gaming was aiming to wreck my entire life, so I ran as far from it as I could.

There are a million cool things I could do to the Viper, but I am tired and I want to get it finished. I'm also not made of money and am currently waiting to sell some of my knives so that I can pay for the next lot of materials to finish her.

Baz.

BlueRaven likes this.
  14. BlueRaven

All good then, there's been a bit more loldrama in the long long SC saga recently which I guess is why Sledge mentioned it. :)
    "not made of money".... tell me about it mate, so many project ideas, all so friggin' expensive if you want to do them to the best of one's ability.

Pretty sure I remember you mentioning something ages ago (like back near start of the Iron Man thread) about the gaming/addictive nature thing, so you jumped into an outdoor-focussed job, and put that misdirected energy into ASIGN and the suit.
    Or perhaps I'm misremembering, being quite often subject to the consequences of an addictive nature myself. Respect for dealing with it in a productive way in any case. I'm still formulating a plan and trying to be at least somewhat productive in the meantime. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Ratzz and Builds By Baz like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Couldn't have put it better myself mate.

Baz.

Ratzz and BlueRaven like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

love the progress mate, ab-so-frikkin-wondefull :D though the real nerd in me secretly wishes youd gone for a MKI instead. That statement isnt meant to take anything away from this insane awesomely build, its just that i felt more at home with the MKI. :)

Ratzz and BlueRaven like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Thanks mate. I have just the right medicine for you. My friend Scott, up in Queensland, is building the MkI in steel and aluminium.

Enjoy.

Baz.

https://projectviper.wordpress.com/

Ratzz, d1ng0d4n and BlueRaven like this.
  18. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy freakin Jesus!!!!!! :D... I just lost my mind!!!!!

19. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

You are correct! Jesus IS holy!

brayway likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Busy busy. Work, kids, gold prospecting, astronomy in the dome, knife making, Viper building, it never ends. COVID has hit our family twice now, so I'm currently in ISO again for the next 7 days.

I got the Viper weighed using vehicle scales borrowed from a local racing club. Total 752kg, but likely to reach the ton by the time I've skinned it, put the other wing and gun on, plus a few layers of paint and some extra mechanical accessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can get to work. I built some vehicle dollys out of 14mm thick leaf spring stiffeners. Each trolley is rated to 800kg+ and has been tested, so well over engineered. Now I can move it around in the workshop and with the addition of some securing stirrups over the foot, I can winch it up the ramp of the trailer, currently in the design phase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've made a quick cardboard concept. It may go to three axles and they may or may not have to be positioned further rearward, but that's for the engineers to decide. The roof comes off in overlapping sections, the sides fold down to become platforms. Stabilisers wind down in the corners, bollards and stairs pop into holes and recesses, plus a ladder over the wing to enter the cockpit. There's a lot going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I got some hardware to test for the reaction control systems (RCS). 8 ports forward and 8 ports rear, from an on board air compressor mounted inside the nose, to be controlled via Arduino, connected to the joystick in the cockpit. These will fire each RCS port individually, picking up a bit of water from a reservoir via a siphon between the solenoid valve and the port.

[​IMG]