1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Full Scale MK II Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Builds By Baz, May 15, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

I got quite a lot done today. Finished all the horizontal and vertical stingers in the nose. Then some strategic weight reduction was in order. I broke my 30 year old hole saw set, so it was off to Bunnings for a new and better set.

Once I plotted out all the vertical stringers I removed them and cut the centres out of all the formers.

Tomorrow I will attach them permanently and fix some aluminium longerons along the top and sides to lock it all in. Mission accomplished, the frame is now set to be rigid and light.

To see WIP photos click here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Help? Trying to find some reference as to scale, (dimensions) of this panel so I can start making it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

4. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Can anyone recommend a cheap digital picture frame? I want to use a couple of different sized ones to display navigational data in the cockpit. Can they display moving GIFs?

5. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

The seat used in the Viper Mk II is an after market racing seat. The particular model is the “Poly Baja High Back Seat” model number RCI8000S made by Racers Choice Inc. (RCI). The head rest of the seat was cut off and the cover folded over to fit in the cockpit.

I'm looking for one in Australia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Found these dimensions after some digging

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMPEX-1451600-010-MODEL-TBC-80-NTSC-VCR-RECORDER-AS-IS/152592184107?hash=item238733f32b%3Ag%3AQrEAAOSwIjJZR%7EcL

21-1/2" X 19" X 5-1/4"

So it make sense there would work with 19 inch rack systems due to their broadcast nature.

7. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

8. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I got about three hours of frantic cutting, drilling and grinding done this evening.

All the horizontal and vertical stringers are now secured, along with three longerons along the top for dealing with tension force. As there is compression on the bottom caused by the weight cantilevering over the front skid four metres back from the tip of the nose, there will be a lot of compression on the bottom, particularly closer to the skid. The rear former will need to be reinforced with a solid plate/mounting points. More on that when I get there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Styrofoam? I was so hoping it would be spaceworthy :(

Looking forward to seeing more mate :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Styrofoam is just to give it some meat to sculpt before I skin it.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Don't knock styrofoam, even nasa use foam sandwich construction :thumbup:

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

oh ok .. so build the shape, then spray it with TUF™ Unobtainium Alloy, then remove the foam? Cool, so it should be spaceworthy?

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I bet the NASA stuff is not styrofoam though.. foam, yeah, but...

hell yeah I've used it for lots of stuff. Great for making moulds of any kind. Its part of the structure of my current project, a new fibreglass/bathtub fishpond. That and some of that expanding stuff too.

14. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

To start building the body of the fuselage in layers, I found some Sikabond foam construction adhesive at Bunnings. Messy stuff, but does the job well and once you understand how it flows, sticks, spreads and behaves generally, you get the hang of it pretty quick.

The foam I am using is a combination of soft and hard, but when it’s free recycled packaging and produce boxing, one can’t be too fussy. At the end of the day, once shaped, it will be coated in fibreglass anyway. I’ve built it high and then done some rough shape-cutting with the hot wire cutter. The nose was a little tricky because of all the angles, so the next spaces between formers should be a lot easier.

I think my hot-wire cutter is running a little cool at nearly two feet long, so i’m going to have to hit the calculator and see what I need do do to turn up the heat.

Later tonight/tomorrow afternoon I might get a chance to shape it more with a rasp and sandpaper. I have shaped foam before in a small scale and it’s surprising how smooth you can get it. Larger surfaces are obviously easier than intricate hand-models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

I must have missed it when you put it on a rotisserie, good move.
    Looking good.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Great thing about this foam construction is it won't show up on DRADIS :thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Today I couldn’t do much while babysitting, but while miss two watched on in the back yard sunshine, dad drew templates and threw balls of screwed up paper at her. What fun dad! Giggling her head off!

A total of about an hour today was all I could manage. I cut some formers for the second half of the fuselage, finishing at the firewall forward of the cockpit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also spent about five minutes with some 60 grit sandpaper on the nose polystyrene.

[​IMG]

18. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

This is looking awesome already. BTW, is that joystick posted the type you need? I'm not far away from Canungra and if you want it I will organise it for you :)

19. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

From post #64 They have to look like these. Once I have some spare dosh I'll grab them.

20. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I've been researching the instrumentation inside the cockpit, drawing from several sources around the internet. Mostly I'm trying to keep it as accurate as I can, and I really like the cockpit layout in the life size MK II that went up for auction a few years back.

Many of the instruments are everyday items in modern aviation, along with a few consumer bits of tech for the last 40 years or so.

Some of the instruments I can source on ebay and the like, others I just have to scratch build. All I needed was a known dimension so that I could scale the rest, using educated guesswork and a Vernier caliper.

I have an altimeter being sent to me, but these other two instruments I have built from scratch, using the Perspex from a refrigerator crisper drawer, a discarded McDonalds food tray and some printed reference photos hot off the internet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]