[PROJECT] Builds By Baz - Steel MKIV Iron Man Suit

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Aug 5, 2012.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

IRON MAN.
    Need I say more? :p

But if "techno neckbeard living in the attic/basement" is what floats your boat, you're probably in the right place for that too.
    Such is the wonderful promise of the comic book/superhero cosplay world. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Iron Man is gearing up for another huge public appearance in support of the Starlight Children's foundation, less than a month from now. Stay tuned for details.

Hopefully this coming event will see all the little problems with the suit ironed out... See what I did there?..

The last event identified where refinement was needed, where to make electronic systems a little more, "battle hardy", and some improvements on attention to detail. After the event, we should be able to jump straight into the hospitals.

My seamstress is currently working hard on my new undersuit. There's modifications getting stitched in between these two pen lines mid thigh and mid shin. Elbows are also getting the same treatment.

[​IMG]

I have 3 weeks left to get all the glitches out of the suit. Last night I fixed the rubber covers in place with M3 bolts and washers drilled through the steel shell. All the glues I've tried, including araldite and contact adhesive, seem to let go after a bit of movement. Can't have that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I seem to be having trouble with wiring. The electronics and PCBs are working for the voice changer, (VC) but all my connecting wires and plugs outside the box, along the way to the battery and on switch are dodgy. I've tried fixing them so many times I've lost count. Every time I get it working, a little wiggle later it stops. Even touching the end of the microphone jack causes loss of signal to the speaker. I'm really crap at this and running out of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Baz, as always love the work you have been putting in to this

For the wiring issues, could you "lock" the wires into the box with a bit of extra length to prevent them coming loose. Maybe also have them bundled and sheathed where possible to help prevent them being pulled

it may mean longer wiring, so im not sure if that effects the system (im no electrician :))

4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

The box actually has a transparent lid that locks everything in once screwed on. The wires contained therein are not moving. I know the issue is my poor skills so later this week I'm going to try to spend a day with James, who is far more polished, to sort it out.

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Look who I found? Want to own up to your face mate? :lol:

[​IMG]

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

The not-so-much-iron-man? :lol: (I hate ironing too)

7. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

The gap between the leg and the cod piece at the back is too big and obvious, even with the shiny red shorts on. So, I am designing some pliable rubber trims to fix in between, that should allow movement and greatly reduce the gap.

They will be layered and wrapped in metallic red stretch fabric.

With some Iron Man inspired lines, I should be able to ad-lib a little and make it look better.

The cable and battery is being moved into the chest so I can do away with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Continuing the improving of leg trims/gap fillers on the suit. Again prototyping in cardboard before wasting expensive material. So far I've only glued the pieces of foam rubber together with fabric glue. Once dry, I'll try flexing it a few times to see if it comes apart. If it does, I'll have to hand-stitch them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the arm trims, I've replaced the fake screw patterns that were melted in with a soldering iron, with press studs from a leather kit. They hold the two layers together and look better as they are shiny metal. I might even replace this small piece of silver-painted rubber with a strip of shiny aluminium later.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I've found the culprit to the massive bruise on my right shoulder. There's a high weld inside the back brace where it curls over my shoulder and digs right into me on the bone. I was tempted to just pad it, but I think instead I will take the grinder to it and grind it off, then pad it.

[​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Replacing tacky rubber imitation with polished metal and real bolts.

[​IMG]

That's better. Now to do the same with the rest.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Tonight's work on the arm-hole tech fill. I've run out of button head cap screws and nuts so it's a time finding saga to try to get into town during business hours to get some more.

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Now THAT looks the goods!! So many other suit builders leave these massive gaps. All you usually see underneath is a red leotard. Not this little black cat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Looks bloody incredible mate.

Im always blown away by the workmanship put into this project :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks mate! :D

14. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

That's armazing! ;)

15. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Uh huh.... not what you first typed is it? :p ;)

:lol:

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Our favorite Steel Iron Man suit has been invited to appear at the Sydney Knife Show on Sunday, 6th of August 2017, 11am until 2pm, Rosehill Gardens Racecourse.

We will again be raising money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, to enrich the lives of seriously ill children and their families.

My team of helpers is hard at work battle-hardening the electronics, tailoring a custom undersuit and building safer batteries while I refine some of the detail work in the suit itself. This will set it up for the upcoming hospital visits.

Why the Knife Show? Because the knife making community played a big part, (and still does), in helping me finish the suit, through creative fundraising with my knives. Enjoy the story poster below. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Well at first I thought I was looking at your glorious cod holder... then I read the words again :lol:

18. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

James and I having a great time of it tonight, battle-hardening all the electronics in the suit for the upcoming event in Sydney, as well as consolidating the power supplies and wiring harnesses.

We tinkered away, well, James did most of the work, I just assisted and made some decisions... All I have to do with the electronics now is duplicate what he's done on one arm, install a second battery, tidy up and secure all the wiring harnesses. Hopefully my mate Deano will send me the super-duper battery he's been working on soon. If not, we will manage with what we have for now and chuck in the improved one later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Idea thrown around between James and I last night. It would be good for my Iron Man charity, "roadies", to have official looking T-shirts. I just toyed with a piece of scrap cloth and regular spray paint.

I'm thinking a representation of a glowing arc-reactor on the chest with a small logo on the left breast, then a large logo across the back of the shoulders. Perhaps a, "Builds By Baz", around the right sleeve.

I wonder if any screen printers out there would be willing to contribute to the cause? Highly likely they would do a much better job....

[​IMG]

Here's what I'm thinking. Plain and simple. Anyone know a screen printer who would be willing to supply for a good cause?

[​IMG]

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

The last outing in the suit identified some weak spots, which we have been trying to battle-harden for the next show, coming up in a few weeks.