1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

buliding a home router

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by mikezilla2, Jun 1, 2020.

1. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

for now this is almost pie in the sky but will probably need a new router if i end up going with FTTP as the 68U is kinda showing its age currently i just have a simple 100mbit switch that i will be dumping in the future alot of the standard routers just come with pretty low powered components as alot of set ups dont require much but it hit me what if i bought one of those used dell optiplexs bought some gigabit NIC PCIE cards for it and used that in conjuction with nest or wireless access point most of my use is wired tho trying to figure out costs , pretty novice and probably not able to do any complex DIY but what ever firmware/ OS that i picked to flash would be GUI based ....

failing that aliexpress Chip sets inside a 3d printed case ? ( don't have a printer)

was looking at some of the edge routers and yea thought why not this or can i fool a gigabit switch in to working with a pie .....

2. karun

karun Member

With Dell Optiplexes, the problem is the power consumption is too high, in comparison to a router like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, and it will end up using a lot of electricity.

We used to use a 486 with a 256Kbps ADSL connection, but nowdays its not worth it as power prices keep increasing.

3. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I did this with an old HP desktop that I got for free that had an i5 in it with 4GB of ram. Put an SSD in and a second NIC and ran pfsense for about a year until the power supply died. As mentioned above the issue was the amount of power it draws (around 100W from memory). I'm currently using a 4-port Qotom unit that does OK with snort and OpenVPN running, and is pretty low power.

Another option is to use a thin client like the HP t610+ that has an expansion port that can take a NIC. Haven't tried this personally but have heard of people running pfsense on these with good results.

4. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

5. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

6. T1tan

T1tan Member

I have a hp610+ for my 100mbit connection.

Works well, I have two permanent VPN connections for split tunneling and it doesn't break a sweat.

It Is a low power solution. An alternative is if you have VMware server with expansion ports you can always run one off that.

7. power

power Member

hang on what?

the AC68U is gigabit and can easily do what you need - WHY on earth do you have a 100mbit switch, there's a 4 port gigabit switch IN the Asus and gigabit switches are stupid cheap if you need to expand.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

UBNT USG, or the UDM Pro... POE switch of your choosing or a 24 port with POE so you can mange it via the UDM/ cloud key and AC lite WaP's

9. jonsey

jonsey Member

68u did my 100mbit ftth with 2 servers attached no problem, I now have the 86u and 68u mesh setup as larger house.