Bulldozer CPU's

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Nightwolf82, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Nightwolf82

Nightwolf82 New Member

Hey guys trying to figure out what processor to grab was looking over the 6-core & 8-core bulldozers has anyone got either one of these & how do you find it when it comes to games & other applications

2. HKman888

HKman888 (Banned or Deleted)

Don't bother, hot, slow and worthless.

Get 1155, a fraction more cost wise, but so much faster, runs cooler and uses significantly less power.

3. NNNG

NNNG Member

Quoted for truth.

+ Lucid Virtu MVP on the newer Z77 boards.
    + overclocks better
    + Quicksync

4. bobbth

bobbth Member

The (much) smarter choice right now is to go with Intel but having said that I am currently running an FX8120 at 4.5ghz and 99% of the time I honestly can't tell the difference between my 8120 and his i5 2500k both at 4.5ghz (I get better fps in BF3 somehow)

If you like overclocking, the FX platform is far more fun to play with than Sandy Bridge. I found sandy to be nothing more than winding up the multiplier till it can't take it any more, at most it takes about an hour to find the ideal overclock on a sandy chip. I have spent more than 50 hours playing with bulldozer and I still don't think I have it perfect.
    At the end of the day Sandy Bridge is more powerful and uses less power and is the all-round sensible option, but FX is more fun (imo).

If you do choose to go with a bulldozer based rig then the 8120 is probably the ideal choice if you budget permits, the 8150's are nothing more than a 8120 with a little bump in the mhz (they both seem to clock about the same).

If you go with Intel then the i5 2500k is the way to go at the moment in terms of price/performance (the up-and-coming Ivy processors look like the don't clock too well)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  5. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

For gaming, up to an extent there will be no benefit to either of the brands, you will need some serious GPU power to cause a cpu bottleneck, I mean like 3-way Xfire or 3-way SLi to cause issues with cpu bottlenecks

6. OP
    OP
    Nightwolf82

Nightwolf82 New Member

I have been looking at the i5 & have basically based my build around
    its just being an amd user since my first pc was wondering if it was time to move over to intel or if bulldozer could do the job

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Like was said, it depends on what your doing. If its just gaming, you really arent going to notice a different. But i'm wholly against AMD now :D Atleast until they release a new revision......You'd be better off with an X6 Thuban or a 2500k

8. OP
    OP
    Nightwolf82

Nightwolf82 New Member

they have some awesome ideas but just haven't managed to get it right yet

basically be using the pc for gaming & everyday programs
    it just pisses me off cause i know 2500k is a better cpu but then dont know whether to
    stick with AMD cause of pildedriver

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Well piledriver should be a good chip. Like i said, either way, your not going to notice any difference.

10. bobbth

bobbth Member

this^^

if you only gaming and not going SLI 680's/CF7970's then you really wont notice the difference

11. stmok

stmok Member

...Then one should not pay for someone else's failed gamble! :)

It is not the consumer's responsibility to prop up failed attempts. Its the company's responsibility to produce good products that meet the needs of the customer.

Given how AMD has made good money from their APU lines, one shouldn't feel obliged to buy their products, if it doesn't meet their needs. (They aren't a charity. They are a for-profit entity.)

Companies only deserve loyalty when they consistently perform. If they drop the ball, and their solution does not meet your needs; dump them for the time being.

Moving from Bulldozer to Piledriver will be like moving from Phenom to Phenom II; Incremental performance increase and bug fixes to address weaknesses. They aren't going to address the core issues of the implementation. To do such thing will require time and money to address things from an architectural perspective...They don't have the time to re-architect the Bulldozer design in 12 months. Hint: They were sampling/talking about prototypes of Trinity while they announcing Llano last year. Its a clear indication they are refining things instead of re-doing. (It takes less time to implement "resonant clock mesh" so they can clock up the speed of the design, than it is to throw out this shared resources Module idea, go back to look at the K8 design and build upon that.)

Right now, Bulldozer seems most beneficial in heavily multi-threaded situations. In games, you can't tell the difference because they're mostly GPU dependent. (The only exception is real time strategy and the like.)

12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'd say grab the BD, not because its a decent chip, but because Piledriver should be out in the next 12 months. And should have all the kinks worked out from BD (Lets hope!)

13. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Nightwolf82 what is your current set up?

14. dmandn

dmandn Member

Exactly, get good stable and fairly consistent fps in games with the fx-8120. Somehow it seems to keep the fps at a more constant level, but overall usually ends up with a similar avg to similar rigs with other cpus, i5 or otherwise.

Out of games, in video rendering for eg, the intels are noticeably faster. But it seems these chips are well suited to games.

Power wise they are not bad until you overclock them, then they do start pulling massive amounts of power but what can you expect from overclocking 8 cores in comparison to 4-6 cores?

15. dmandn

dmandn Member

However who's needs do they actually not meet? Alot of people talk big with harsh claims that are only part true.

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

With the power, i actually found i could undervolt the cpu, and still have it as stable as full power at the same volts (Or close to)

Cant remember the exact volts. But i lowered them to keep it at 3.2ghz then did something with the turbo. Either lowered its speed, or disabled, cant remember :D
    But it helps with heat, plus power consumption. Its undervolted clocks kept it stable on volts lower then the stock volts on a Phenom II

17. OP
    OP
    Nightwolf82

Nightwolf82 New Member

At current i have
    CPU: Phenom II x4 955
    GPU: Gigabyte 6770
    Ram: 4gb ddr3
    Mobo: ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    HDD: 2Tb Barracuda

18. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

You're not going to notice much of a difference tbh.

19. OP
    OP
    Nightwolf82

Nightwolf82 New Member

Currently

CPU: Phenom IIx4 955
    Mobo: ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    RAM: 4gb DDR3
    GPU: Gigabyte 6770
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

20. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

If you haven't already get overclock your 955 to 3.6Ghz, it will go toe to toe with Bulldozer in all but the most heavily threaded applications and won't cost you any money. If you can get 3.6GHZ with a slight voltage drop your temps will stay the same or even be better so no need to replace the cooler (if you haven't already). Your board will likely get a bios update to take pile driver when the time comes, compare PD with IB compare the cost of new MB + CPU vs just CPU and take it from there.