Bums Not Bombs! [stenchy]

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by stenchlord, Sep 7, 2007.

1. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I was going to stay home and watch movies due to the rain but thought "what the hell!" and traveled into the city to see what I could get.

I didn't expect many people to turn up due to the weather but there was a nice gathering although a majority of it was police :p

I traveled out with the intention of only using my 10-20 as I really couldn't have been bothered carrying all my gear and also so as to not risk getting my sensor wet while changing lenses lol.
    I figured my UWA would give the protest a different light to all the press who were there with their 70-200s and 24-70s.

All shots are taken from the JPEGs (I shoot with RAW+Medium JPEG), I've just adjusted a few things here and there but I'll need to do some proper post processing on them and such but I'm too tired to go through with that right now.

EXIF Intact for more information/settings

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm waiting until my Spyder2 gets here so I can calibrate my monitor and fix things properly.

C&C would be great or just comments about the whole event would be appreciated :)

Cheers
    John

EDIT : I will comment that while the other photographers were really nice, when they wanted their shot they were rather ravenous. It was like being among a pack of wolves. Quite an experience.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Holy shit, the main thing I get out of all these photos is the amount of people throwin around DSLRs these days. There is more photographers than protesters haha.

Great photos though for a day where it seems everything was drowned out with rain. A 10-22 is something I wish I had in my bag a lot of the time. Tomorrow will hopefully see a bit more action. Thumbs up for dedication in the rain too!

3. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

wow press + police > protestors

4. michael_

michael_ Member

lol at the guy with three cameras and what looks like a 24-105, 70-200 and 300 2.8, just a little overkill bud and no flash

5. mute

mute Member

Just a whole lot of geeks with nothing better to do :D

Nice pics though, 10-20 was a good choice!

6. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

There seriously was more press than protesters.

I was shooting some of those shots over other photographers heads so some didn't turn out well but show the amount of press there.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Yeah I think so too but only because I was willing to push and shove the other photographers out of the way. If you are a little shy with the them they'll know you're an easy target and will push you out of the way for a prime position.

I've gotten over my shy phase so I was more than happy to bump shoulders with them, I even got into a shoving contest with a camera man from Channel 7 lol.

8. mute

mute Member

9. michael_

michael_ Member

yeah 300 2.8

he has no lens hoods on.

john can we get a large res of the above to check out his credentials :p

10. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Can I send it to anyone over msn or something? I don't have access to anything that'll let me upload anything that's 2.5MB

11. Chuck99

Chuck99 Member

These are great!
    The photog's look like seagulls after a hot chip :D
    The media frenzy is so much more interesting than the protest and you've captured it well.

Though - given the x0000's of people there clambering for 1-5 bum's, how did you manage to grab this un-crowded butt shot with a UWA??? You must have walked over their backs like a kelpie at the sheep trials?

12. mute

mute Member

What about Flickr?

13. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Pretty much, I've been taking photos for about 10-11 months now so nearly a year. I've always been rather interested in street photography/portraiture and for that you need to have the guts to walk up to a stranger in the middle of the street and snap a pic in their face. I got over my shyness quite a while ago and photographers know what it's like. These guys aren't there for kicks and whistles, they're there to make money so they'll do what they can to get the shot.

I just put myself in their shoes and pushed to the front when I could. Other instances like when they got the line up of people daking their tracks, I just couldn't cause it was like a solid wall but when I could, I did get as close as possible :D

14. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

I think the photos that show all the press around them add to the shot and make it more interesting, especially from such a wide angle.

I cant find the exact article anymore either, but it was a line talking about the main chick in those photos. 'Wasnt a pretty site either' or something haha.

15. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I tried it out and it's resized it, although it is larger...

EDIT : Someone has happily volunteered hosting the image for us :D

16. mute

mute Member

17. MCWB

MCWB Member

Great pics, love 'em! I especially like the ones with the chick in front of St Mary's and the ones with the crowd of photographers and media. Excellent work! :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

19. MCWB

MCWB Member

20. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Cheers for that mate, that's a cut down version, have saved it in photoshop at a lower quality. RAW file is 8.92MB