With multiple raid arrays and a total of 12 hdd's to contend with I decided it was time to sort out a better way to keep them cool and put them in a housing. I had already bought a 5 drive caddy from addonics but buying a second worked out quite expensive and needed a far bigger case so building a custom unit seemed like a great idea. Time for a trip to bunnings! My rought requirements were * Support 10 HDD's * Good cooling capacity * Cheap * Easily disconnected to move * Did I say cheap already? In this economy have to mention it multiple times! But before we get too far ahead I had a few ideas in my mind which I needed to sketch out. With the help of google sketchup this is what I had planned out. This is what I quickly came up with. The idea was to put the drives on their sides and use some thin ally edging to fix them in place. Then using the top 120mm hole put in a decent flowing fan and either let it suck the air through the side vents or add additional fans to help force air through. Then I would run some eSata cables (2) to the case and use a eSata->Sata bracket to then run into my power multipliers. To run all my drives I use a combination of a single PCIe 1x 2port eSata card which connects to a port multiplier on each channel. This gives me 10 ports of SATA300. For reference these are all silicon image and support FIS based routing/switching which means that all drives can be addressed at once so effectively a single SATA2/SATA300 line running 5 drives all at once. I get about 130-150mb/sec off the array as each port multiplier is one RAID5 array using linux software md-raid. (5x750 5x500) At anyrate time to head to bunnings and picked up the following * 75mm vent covers for airflow into wall cavities. * El cheapo galvanised toolbox (550L x 225D x 216H) * All purpose bath mat * Ally angle line (2m) And came to under $40! And the toolbox has handles so it makes for easy movement. Time to get to work. Bits and tools.. The all important toolbox. The drive mountings came along quickly got two sets done pretty quickly. And here they are in use which work really nicely for keeping the drives spaced and cool. Good shot of the top vent/extraction hole and the end vent holes. Now there was a bit of work on the vent holes as my holesaw is 60mm and 80mm and using the 80mm meant they wouldn't clip in and hold tight so I used my air die grinder to open the holes up a little more after drilling out with the 60mm. Don't have any shots of that though it was fun though with sparks and what not. So that was pretty much day one a few weeks ago. Yer yer im slack but needed to get a few more parts in like my eSata connectors from DX. This is the final status after brewing beer some beer today and getting some work done on the storage unit. After much filing and making plenty of noise I got the eSata ports mounted. And a final shot showing the matting somewhat in place and a temp 120mm fan to get the holes drilled and lined up properly. You can also see the vents installed. In addition to this I ran selastic down all the joins and around the vents to seal it as much as possible so that air only comes in where I want it to. Now whats left to do. I need to get power in and with 10 drives being catered for I have roughly given it 10W per drive so 100W total. The PSU in my file-server has plenty of power so will likely run two of its 12V rails into this box using some 4/8 pin DIN connectors and some reasonably thick wiring. This way it along with the eSata can be disconnected easily. The two port multipliers I will mount to the wall of the box with some plastic mounts to prevent any earthing out and probably get the HDD's in for a test run for space shortly, they easily fit via measuring but want to get a total weight estimate. Other than that it's just fitting and installing then crack a few beers and watch some episodes. I will post up when I have another day to get some work done on it. Never know might even paint it.