business card design

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by !nsane, May 11, 2010.

1. !nsane

!nsane Member

Gday all,

I'm hoping some of the good natured designers on here, would be able to link me to/put up some good "design rules" for business cards?

I am currently designing mine, and have had a little input from a designer friend.

The frosted glass/plastic is representing translucent frosted plastic card.
    [​IMG]

Logo was designed by our very own Hung-Two.

please let me know what you think, and if theres anything glaringly obvious that I'm doing wrong!

(I know I don't have a write-able area on the card, its unfortunate but its a trade off for a memorable card....)

Cheers,
    Daniel

2. Masska

Masska Member

I like it Daniel! Clean, simple and to the point. I also like your subtle approach to color.
    The only thing that I would change is the back area "Art,Beauty,Editorial,Glamor,Auto". Maybe use this space to write notes, and or appointments for your clients. Or include an image or some sort of collage of your work. Also again this is only my opinion, but do you want to be seen as a Photographer or someone that dabbles in everything? I'm a little old school, but when I was working you specialized in one field and if an interesting project came along you'd say "hell yes I can do that"!
    Unless of-course you really do specialize in all these fields, then by all means go for it. I'm assuming also that this is your own personal card and you're not part of a group or studio with other photographers.
    Don't mind me mate, like I said I'm a little old fashioned and maybe things have changed a bit since I was in the biz. :thumbup:

Really like the card though.

3. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Cheers mate,

I don't really have a specialty at the moment, I am just starting out, I have a catalogue of about 3 years worth of landscapes/still lifes, which are average, and for the last 5 months I have been focusing on model photography of all sorts, which is the area I want to launch my business in.

I think you are right, I will just put people photographer or something on the back...

[​IMG]

I have been strongly warned of putting images on my main business card.

I am looking at printing a bunch of Moo http://uk.moo.com/en/products/business_cards.php mini-cards with photos as a mini-portfolio, and so I don't have to give out too many of these plastic cards :)

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. juppy

juppy Member

spacing around the dots in the URL is a bit tight, particulary on the left of each dot. Other than that, card looks very nice.

Since the card is translucent, I wonder if it might be interesting to put either the word INSANE or Photography on the back of the card in reverse so that it comes through on the frontside, right way round. A bit like how the anti counterfeiting star works on some of Australia's bank notes. In saying that however, you would need to ensure that your printer got it exactly lined up which could be hard.

5. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

6. trivial007

trivial007 Member

Is there a particular reason it's in portrait? Any design choice for using translucent material?
    What's the per unit quote? Looks like a lot of ink and a lot of material..May I ask how long insane photography has been running for? Edit: sorry read your other post. I'm just of the opinion that this design will need top quality materials and print runs to work. Which may not necessarily be beneficial.

I sort of like the fact the card is impractical.

7. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

cheers for the input guys,

I ordered a set of cards at the end of last week, so should get them fairly soon.

I ended up going with a very similar design, except I got my first run done on matt 250GSM stock, as the price difference was massive. I still plan to get the good plastic cards, but just need to get some $$$ rolling through the door first.

difference is 7.9c each for paper stock, 58c each for plastic.

reason for portrait is.... I have no idea, I like it. a lot of my photo's are in portrait and I prefer the way they look.

same for the translucent plastic look, I have seen a few cards like that, and they just look phenomonal.

Insane photography has been running for about, a month now. I have been taking photos for years, and using the insane photography brand, but haven't started selling my services until recently.

card is completely impractical, however the fashion, high end modelling industry I hope to get into is posh and impractical itself, so the card should help :)

Juppy, interesting idea, will have to see if its doable.

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. juppy

juppy Member

vertical card designs are actually meant to attract more attention than horizontal since the majority of cards are horizontal. Its like if everyone in the world drives a black car and all of a sudden someone decides to paint theirs red.

Edit: Theres a company Ive dealt with in in Korea that does plastic card printing for reasonable prices however not translucent. They have a couple of different types, white, silver, gold etc. and charge US$248 for 1000 cards delivered (full colour front and back). The only trouble is they are a little thin in my opinion, 200GSM which is only 0.12mm thick. They do diecut rounded corners within that pricing though. That works out to about 30c aussie for each card, so still not hugely cheap. PM me if you want details.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  9. PrawnStar

PrawnStar Member

I think the main reason why people usually go for landscape cards instead of potrait is because when someone puts the card in their wallet, 99% of the time it is going to sit horizontally and not vertically. Also most business card holders and rolodexes are going to be landscape as well, so Just something to keep in mind when you think about your target audience and how they would store your card

Yeah it may not be practical but your card is making a good statement and works well.

Good luck!

P

10. juppy

juppy Member

A mate of mine designs cards for a living (thats all he does) and his specialty is vertical card designs although many people still opt for horiz.

11. trivial007

trivial007 Member

Fair enough.
    I know you're an individual but format is the same as writing a letter. There are certain principles. That's the reason, none of that wallet bs. Who the hell carries someone else' business card on hand in there wallet anyway? Though I won't doubt portrait can work. I think the best way to sell creativity is through design, rather then...'difference'?
    Yeah thought plastic would be ridiculous.
    And as a tip, I don't think many top end model agencies use photographers who've dropped off their business cards to them at the end of a lunch meet or anything corporate like that. Check out the names of some of these guys. They're stalwarts.

12. PrawnStar

PrawnStar Member

Care to enlighten us on these "priciples", or are you just going to sit there and dribble shit??

I do. Do you just carry them around in your hand or something or do you have a purse instead?

More often than not, people remember something because it is different not because it is the same as everyone else. I'm not saying you are wrong in that the best way to sell creativity is through design but that creating something different is usually part of a good design.

P

13. platinum

platinum Member

Design isn't Art, Form follows function.

Be different if you can justify how it will work better from a design perspective, but don't make things "different" just because no one else does it that way.

Often when you think it through properly you'll realise there are good design reasons behind not doing it, and it's not just because you've thought up of something no ones ever thought of before. :p

Portrait or really odd shaped cards are a pain in the ass, I have hundreds of business cards in a flippy/holder and unless I remember what every single business's card looked like, I can't quickly locate your portrait card. Also confuses electronic business card indexers, and from a typography perspective they don't make much sense, business cards are small, there isn't much room to deal with if you've got 5cm of text width.

Anyway - http://krankn.com.au/ does the translucent style cards at a good price if you hadn't seen it. :) Be careful using that style of card, as what looks amazingly classy in your head can end up looking cheap and kitsch.

The logo looks good, but I think the type really needs some work, the spacing all looks off, and don't forget to allow for enough bleed around the edges (everything looks very close). Are you using illustrator/indesign for it? It'd be worth perhaps trying a cleaner font for the text, as I don't think it reads very easily, also the spacing/kerning needs a bit of work. Also... don't forget how small a business card is, some of that text will be extremely small when it's not onscreen and blown up.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  14. juppy

juppy Member

odd shaped cards might indeed be a pain, but if the design is extraordinary it might get you a client that would have normally chucked your card in the bin. I think this is particulary important for anyone working in a creative industry and that would include photographers.

If by handing your inventive business card to a prospective client, you are able to start a conversation about the actual design of the card then you may spark interest in the receivers mind, particulary if you mention that the card layout is your own idea/design.

Naturally this effect might be lost if you are selling beans and the person buying doesnt give a toss about card design, they just want some cheap quality beans. That being said, a bean shaped card might also be a good idea even in this case.

My own business card is one I've designed myself, to be honest I dont get out much to distribute them as I work mostly online but it is also a vertical design. If I could afford it and made lots of contact with the public then I'd think about something much more inventive (and costly).

For some inspiration, see this set on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dailypoetics/sets/72057594104389710/

15. PrawnStar

PrawnStar Member

I totally agree with this and never said you should make something different just for the sake of being different. You can make something stand out by using very stubtle or very in your face differences but it has to work as a whole.

What I did say however was that while this particular card might not be 100% practical, it does work and I think it works well, bar some of the other comments on here about text spacing and so on. On the other hand the OP's reason for choosing a portrait card was based purely on the fact that he likes it. We could harp on for ages about why it should or shouldn't be portrait but at the end of the day, it's his card and he has to like it.

I agree with this too and I mentioned it before as a down side to having a portrait card.

P

16. juppy

juppy Member

I have to ask the question... you guys that have hundreds of business cards in folders... are you simply collecting them for the sake of collecting and/or for design reference?

I really wonder how many businesses actually keep folders of business cards.

17. platinum

platinum Member

I guess it depends a bit, I don't collect every business card every person hands over to me, but there are a lot of connections that you want to keep on hand. For example, I might meet a patent/trademark attorney, or a food photographer... might not require their services straight away, but if they seem like they know what they are doing, it's good to keep their details on hand.

Also for clients, or prospective clients, it's good to just keep their details on hand just in case. :)

(I'm more involved in web/design than photography - but I'd imagine it would be even more important in that area of business, as heaps of agencies, would want to keep your card around for future work).

18. Hung-Two

Hung-Two Member

haha nice! good to see it on something real :] The "crumble" design I sketched didn't translate so well to the screen. Something I might dig up and try to work with again if you ever feel bored of the current design.