1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Business IT COVID-19 response

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Mar 25, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've had multiple discussions with OCAUers just this year (pre and during COVID19) where the response to the fact that both new PC sales and home PC use is declining is one of obvious shock.

It's pretty clear that there's quite a level of denial amongst enthusiasts at the actual state of affairs out there in "regular people" world.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

PC Master Race guys, sure there's denial.
    B&EC - its just apathy, I don't think to ask "Do you have electricity at home, so you can plug the terminal in"

Our remote working solution will "run" on almost anything, but you're gonna have a bad time on an ipad, or even a laptop with a small screen.

3. Rass

Rass Member

A few interesting points in the last few messages. I pay (probably too much) for good internet access, I have a big desk, comfy chair, wifi, spare monitors and cables. I've also done oncall and out of office work for most of my professional life. Working from home is second nature to me, but for a lot of people older than me, or those who are not in traditional "tech" roles, it's a heck of an eye opener.

One of the tech guys I work with has ADSL which barely meets spec, so video conferences are out. He can dial in to teleconferences, but misses out on any screen sharing because of it. It means there's inconsistent delivery and he can't really present things like he would in the office.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

I do. Perhaps it's the fact that I've worked with non-technical folk for a long time. First thing I ask is as much detail as I can on home computers/tablets (specs and OS versions), Internet (provider, type, speed, quota), whether they've got "WiFi or Blue Cable", etc.

Even an absence of information is telling. If you just get a blank look, that's a good indication they need to go on the company laptop registrar.

5. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

My missus works for the qld gov, and decided to use the cubby house as her office when the WFH order came down from on high. It's actually pretty sweet.

Laptop and phone supplied by the gov, she grabbed a monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer from the office, and with a few bits and pieces of furniture we had lying around, she's all set up. Teams does her head in, simply because of the irrelevant shit people share.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this all pans out though. I can see a lot of corporations wondering why they pay so much money to lease huge amounts of office space when so much of their stuff can be WFH with little to no drop in productivity. Pissant micromanaging managers will whinge about it, but the bean counters will be able to over rule them.

6. Rass

Rass Member

I'm almost tempted to order an acoustic pod from somewhere like framery (https://www.frameryacoustics.com/en/products/framery-o/).. I don't have my own office at home - the girlfriend does, I use some of the downstairs living room.

I think things like these pods would be good to have at home regardless. if I had the money and room 20 years ago when I started doing oncall, I would have purchased or made one.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Create a shitpost area, invite people to shitpost there, mute it. Call it something obvious - "memes", "funnies", "water cooler", whatever.

People *will* shitpost, so give them a "sacrificial anode". If you're a shit poster, happy days. If you can't stand it, mute it.

Kind of funny that these exist. I feel like this is merely someone profiteering of the stupidity of the open plan office.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Rass likes this.
  8. millsy

millsy Member

My entirely unsubstantiated observation is that pc gamers have a much more prepared home office setup than anybody else at my work.

kombiman likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not unsurprising. A bunch of people who rely on long binge sessions at a high power computer, requiring personal comfort and low latency internet connections, who communicate almost exclusively over network protocols.

It is somewhat amusing how the few people left who still deride nerd culture (because knowing detailed football stats is less nerdy?) are now the ones left behind and/or totally out of their depth.

koopz and millsy like this.
  10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

They'll be the first to go when the revolution comes.

11. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Well, yeah. Although a lot of the stuff my missus uses comes from the office, there's a few cables of mine, and an old monitor we had lying around... the big fuck-off cubby house and the decent wifi connected to a 100/40 FTTP helps as well...

Up against the wall with a gun to their head.

12. chip

chip Member

at least they've got rigs that can run Teams without everything grinding to a halt like it does on my i7-8550U laptop

13. millsy

millsy Member

Eugh don't get me started.

Loved teams until all the PHB's got on it and started micromanaging there, sigh. Then the notifications. Then the CPU usage. Then the single tab UI

14. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Seems that there's something wrong with your laptop specifically or internet connection. The missus doesn't have a problem with her lenovo whatever that the gov has issued her, and she usually has half a dozen different things running as well as teams.

15. millsy

millsy Member

I get the same issue on mine, teams fat client just ain't great hey. I'll freely admit my work SOE is trash though.