Buy Haswell now or wait for Broadwell/Skylake?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Ace of Aces, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

Hey guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

I want to upgrade my current Sandy Bridge rig to something much better.

There are people who say that after Sandy Bridge, each increment in Intel's "tick-tock" evolution will only result in a 10% to 15% increase in performance.

The new fabrication processes will result in better efficiency and lower power consumption but not in computing power. Since Broadwell will be based on a 14nm process but will have the same architecture of Haswell, will the main benefits be on power consumption?

So will Intel's Skylake lineup which will be based on new architecture and 14nm fabrication process be the next step forward?

Intel already confirmed that they will be delaying Broadwell until early 2015 at the earliest so we can probably expect Skylake in 2016. So next year will be another Haswell refresh. So I guess getting Haswell now will be a worthy investment?

2. raX

raX Member

With ddr4 being out shortly, is there a good reason why you need to upgrade?

I can't see a point if you're overclocking (and with intel, you should be) the increase just doesn't justify the cost given that memory will be essentially binned on the next upgrade, if you purchase new memory now.

3. OP
    OP
    Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

Will DDR4 be a massive increase in performance from DDR3?

4. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Im in the same boat as u man. Only game i play is Arma and with every new arma release in the past i have upgraded. This time ive decided to be more patient and wait for the haswell refresh (9series chipset) hopefully around march. These mobos will be compatible with broadwell cpu which i will do another small upgrade to at the time.

5. GOD

GOD (Banned or Deleted)

if you have a sandy and have a crap vcard then just upgrade your vcard and just oc your chip to 4Ghz and be happy with it for a year....

6. OP
    OP
    Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

I have another question.

Wont Skylake be the architecture everyone is waiting for?

I know that Intel's most recent tick phase (i.e. Ivy Bridge) didn't mean much in terms of performance increase. Will Skylake be a more dramatic increase?

7. silrod

silrod Member

No architecture will deliver massive gains on day one. It might open the door to big performance gains, but that will be drip fed to the consumer over the life of the chipset.
    The best reason to wait is to get the old stuff cheap ;0)

8. Lordz

Lordz Member

Frankly, if you have an i5 + sandy bridge then unless your benchmarking, nothing has come out that's worthy of upgrading.
    Unless your after a 24/7 machine and want cheap power consumption.

The sandy bridge chips are basically the new version of the Q6600. Just hang onto it till something revolutionary comes along, because so far the evolutionary chips have been rather meh.

Heck even a first gen i7 (overclocked) is still reasonable for gaming/average use if its got a high end gpu installed.

9. Embercide

Embercide Member

Skylake will support hardware decoding of H.265.
    Also supports DDR4, PCIE 4.0 & Thunderbolt 3.0

I'm still running on an i7 920, and I'll be holding out for Skylake before upgrading :thumbup:

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If Sandy I say hold fire.

I upgraded from a Lynnfield and it was marginally worth it, for Sandy i'd say nope. I also suspect SATA3 made more of a difference than the CPU upgrade lol.

11. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

If you're already on an i7, to get something much better you need to go to 2011, and then power consumption goes significantly up anyway.

12. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

This thread is 14 months old. I think its safe to assume the OP has moved on

13. Embercide

Embercide Member

This is what happens when people search for a topic before posting a new one :thumbup:

14. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

or 6. There has been fuck all advancements since sandy bridge. I can't tell the difference between my 2600k machine and haswell-e machines.

15. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

That's because it's primarily for the mobile market. Battery life and form factor are the two major improvements in Haswell and Broadwell. Go play with some of the new Broadwell ultrabooks - they're stupidly thin.

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah I was kinda hoping Skylake would contain 6 core parts to at least give that level of an increase but it doesnt look like happening. My i7 2600K@4GHz will need replacing eventually just because I am still running PCIE2 Motherboard.

I might have to jump to Haswell-E to get at least some performance improvement.

17. datfreak

datfreak Member

The home desktop market is boring of late, if your updating anything from 2500k/2600k era onwards the gains are very limited.

Ive got a 2500k (what are these now - 4 years old?) that could run up to 5ghz on a custom wc loop but I run it at @4ghz as at this freq it still doesn't bottleneck a oc'ed 290 gpu on the lastest games.

Maybe 4k monitors will push Nvidia/Amd to make monster gpus which in time will make CPU choice important again - but that may be 2 - 3 generations away.

18. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I am still on my 2600K @ 4GHz and have no reason to upgrade yet. The CPU has plenty left and I can still bump the BCLK & multi further if I need to. I purchased the components in march 2011 - it's almost 4 years old.

Sure, I have swapped my system drive & Steam drive for SSD's and had to replace a dead Samsung HDD, but the machine with 8GB of RAM takes everything I throw at it.

I did upgrade to dual GTX760s last year. I would consider bumping it to 16GB of RAM in the meantime but it is not that urgent.

I feel that Skylake is going to be a compelling upgrade case for those on Sandy Bridge and below. I think I will be tempted to jump at that point. If not, Cannonlake as the process shrink should be cooler and less power hungry.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Its the lack of PCIE3 that hurts me :) Maybe I just need a motherboard upgrade

20. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

The GPU department is behind due to 4k incoming. GPUs are overpowered for 1080p, but underpowered for 4k gaming. It's a tough spot at the moment.