Buying a new tv...wallmount?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by bl4ck32, Mar 23, 2017.

1. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Howdy,

I'm about to upgrade our old tv for the first time and venture into a large flat screen etc. Done my home work and have a budget set. I want to buy a soundbar with one, and maybe a ps4 if the budget stretches.

Went to the local stores like GG etc, and they had a sale that just ended. The 65" series 9 samsung was like $3200? and the soundbar was on sale also...

Checked out hardly normals today and the sales guy mentioned it was a samsung promotion so they supply for less or reimburse HN for the sale price..

Anyway, the best pricing it seems is now back to $3800?

The new 2017 models are due out in April, but cant afford them so was hoping if anyone knew when the prices are due to drop? Is there some sort of cycle they follow as I can wait, just not months and months..

Budget was around this, but the LG oled tvs looked nice too, just pricey and id have to go smaller to 55" to afford them...

2. OP
    OP
    bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Just updating..

Managed to haggle a price down for a samsung and soundbar. I cant justify the smaller price and smaller size of the oled 55" lg tv's or I would consider them. The blacks looked nice, but you can never tell with display tvs what looks the best.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips for wall mounting a 65" tv? I assume its fairly straight forward...?

3. Copie

Copie Member

Depends on the wall, if its a wood stud wall its fairly straight forward, find the studs via a stud finer, mark them out, measure the height of where you want the tv (remember you do have a few inches movement with the mount itself via the vesa holes) then drill pilot holes then the coach screws.

Selby wall mounts come with all the mounting gear as standard, although i found their coach screws slightly too long so i just grabbed 4 new ones from bunnings for a few bucks each.

Its all fairly straightforward for wood stud.

For concrete/brick its a bit more complex, i would use dynabolts rather then plugs, far stronger and secure.

At a minimum i would use 4 screws or bolts, studs are 600mm apart as a standard building practice so they are wide enough to give you a solid mount.

Ive got all of my tv's and monitors wall mounted now via selby mounts, makes it 100% better cosmetically and practical.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. clonex

clonex Member

600mm wont be external or load bearing walls. M8/M10 mungo nylon plugs will keep up far more weight than a tv and easier to work with.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. Copie

Copie Member

Coach bolts are pretty easy to work with, drill pilot hole and drill the coach bolt in with either a ratchet or a 1/2 impact gun.