Buying a TV: What features to look for?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by NitroGuy, Jul 11, 2014.

1. NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

Hi all, I'm going to a retailer tomorrow to choose a new TV for my bedroom.

It's been over 10 years since I last bought a TV.

What features I should be looking for when I'm in the store?

Thanks!

2. Zee

Zee Member

Budget? What do you actually want?

A few tips...

Don't buy the Monster cables. any of them.

Don't buy overpriced surge protected power boards. You can get them for 1/4 the price from electrical wholesalers or similar.

3D - does anyone actually use this?

Smart TV - don't bother, using internet on your TV is painful. You'd be better off buying a $100 Apple TV and mirroring an iProduct, and I'm pretty sure Android has a similar option now.

The TV itself - higher Htz generally means better refresh rates and a nicer image, but 100Hz is a pretty good way to go. Don't bother trying to compare the images of different brands based on colour, contrast etc - non of them are set up properly at the store - ie - they all look shit. Over saturated, contrast too high, blacks crushed, image overscanned....

Having said that, I'd be sticking to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc if you truly want a good product - they are more likely to have even backlighting, good image processing, and more likely to last long term (remember, I said more likely, not *will*).

If gaming is your thing (X-Box, PlayStation, Wii etc) then I'd be looking at some reviews to see which TV's lag most and least. Samsungs have quite a delay, and need to be set to "Game mode" to be acceptable for gaming. I've heard similar for the newer Sony TV's (though haven't had a chance to actually check one out for games).

If you want best media playback - Samsung rules - my C series plasma still plays pretty much everything I throw at it, and at times, stuff even my dedicated media player wont. It's nuts... But anyway...

More info on what you are looking for, budget etc is needed for good suggestions...

Z...

3. mr626

mr626 Member

Personally, the main 'feature' I look for is a good quality panel- the extra bells and whistles I don't really care about.

4. samo

samo Member

Rest assured any features you definitely dont need will be on your significant others 'Oh my god! We need this!' gimmick list.

Avoid getting sucked in by aforementioned gimmicks. They're easily spotted.

And as mentioned buy all your required cables elsewhere. I wouldnt be paying any more than $10 for a HDMI cable etc.

5. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

Thanks guys!

My uses:

-Bedroom TV. I need something to watch when I'm falling asleep.

-I need a TV with a headphone 3.5mm because I'll be using headphones for almost all of my usage. How can I check if the TV has a good headphone jack? My iPod Touch has great sound when I use headphones. Would any TV match the iPod Touch or do I need to look for a high-end TV?

-Watching downloaded movies which are of a low quality: I guess slightly below 480p or so? I have some 1080p movies, but 80% of what I watch will be below 480p.

-Not planning on any gaming.

-I was thinking of something around a 32-40inch screen as I want to be about 7-10ft away from it.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's the budget?

7. proffesso

proffesso Member

great quality panel + hdmi in. should be all you need then buy a htpc / chromecast / wdtv whatever.

8. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Sounds like it's certainly not a primary TV and with what you plan to use it for, I wouldn't be looking to spend too much. I'm with Zee, that you should still stick with the major brands but I'd pretty much just buy the most basic TV you can <$500 and maybe add a Western Digital TVLive media player (or Apple TV box if you're in the Apple universe).
    Just about all TVs will have a mini-jack out for headphones/'multimedia' speaker systems

9. nico6

nico6 Member

I had assumed the same, but my Samsung E8000 plasma only has optical digital audio out. Seems a headphone jack is common on small/cheaper TVs. Worth checking ...

10. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

Okay, thanks!

If I want to watch Youtube on the TV, what's the easiest way for me to do this?

Less than $500.

Okay, thanks!

Alright, but how will I know that the headphone jack outputs decent quality sound?

11. nico6

nico6 Member

It'll be fine. Honestly.

12. Thudd

Thudd Member

Because your headphones will almost certainly be the limiting factor, not the jack on the TV.

13. lionman

lionman Member

Kogan 40" for $339pp

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/40-led-full-hd-tv/

I bought a 50" a couple of years ago for $700 as my main TV and its been great. Its no Panasonic or Sony but it works and was less than half the price at the time.

HD content from 1080p/720p rips or HD Netflix look sweet from my HTPC.

Plenty scoff at the cheapness of these TV's but I can only go from my experience which has been pretty positive.

Only gripe really is that it has a 'torchlight' effect when there is no input but it isn't noticeable during playback. The included speakers aren't great either, but that doesn't bother me as I have hifi system anyway.

14. b-man

b-man Member

3d.. agree
    smart tv... agree. but what tv out there isnt a smart tv these days? im sure we could buy the same tv without the smart functions for a few $100 cheaper but we cant as they dont sell them.

i went against all my rules and ended up buying a 55" smart tv. not for the smart factor tho just as it suited my budget and happened to have smart features.

the next was a 42" tv it had 3d and smart.
    i bought it for the lan port only but then bought a raspberrypi so that nulled that point. and i can tell you i have never watched 3d on it and tried but gave up trying to use the smart features.
    the only advice i can give is if you want to run a raspberrypi on the tv get 1 and take it to the shop and make sure it works!. mine worked fine on my 42" lg plasma but wont work on my 42" lg led through hdmi and so i have to run it through composite. it looks terrible

15. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

as much a you can try to say you don't need smart/3d etc

the better panels will come with it all anyway, a panel that can do active 3d is going to be better than a panel without 3d or a panel with passive 3d,

additionally look at the remote and how quickly it picks up channel changes etc, a smart tv is going to have faster processor and software on it and a better faster usable epg

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is a major part of my decision actually.....there is nothing worse that slow channel changes.

17. sanjay

sanjay Member

18. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

19. nathantodd

nathantodd New Member

Hi.....

Well in all honesty try to avoid them!
    Unless you really want to wave your hands or speak to your TV as unsuccessfully as you do with Siri at the tv then there is really no point to them.

Just find one with a good quality image and high reliability, naturally you are looking for a High Definition TV.

I would recommend the Panasonic range of LED TVs as I do find them the best image along with the best reliability

Nathan Todd

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member