Buying first 'real' guitar

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by ex4n, Jan 31, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Going to check out a strat after work today, and if it doesn't feel right, the search shall continue at the music store on the weekend.

2. GarethB

GarethB Member

Guitars are a fairly personal thing in terms of how they feel to play, and what your preferences are.

Before you buy any real guitars, you should probably start out buying a few different air guitars. Different brands, body shapes, pickup options, etc. Even the high end custom built air guitars are surprisingly affordable so you won't have to spend all that much doing this. Once you've built up your confidence on how to tell a good air guitar from a bad one, you'll be ready for real guitars. :p

On a more serious note, if you can, have a look at what ESP has in their LTD range (their lower priced models). They have a decent reputation for build quality and a fair number of models in the Au$500 - $700 range. Whether or not they will feel right for you is something only you can decide.

ex4n likes this.
  3. alexb618

alexb618 Member

if you have time to drive around to a bunch of different people's houses, used mexican strat or tele. gotta try a few out though.

ive always found fender electrics to be very easy to play.

ex4n likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks guys, if I don't like the one I look at tonight, I will check out a whole bunch more and report back with whatever I end up with.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

If you don't know how to assess for a bent or warped neck, fret buzz, etc you shouldn't be going 2nd hand by yourself as you will have no warranty!!!

Only a fool goes and buys a 2nd hand car without some sort of check and or surety.........why buy a guitar like that!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    ex4n likes this.
  6. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a low-end cost purchase and it's like other gumtree purchases or purchases on here, you assess the seller. Electronics are more likely to be faulty than a guitar that you can play, you just decide whether to trust the seller and what you think about the item.

ex4n likes this.
  7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It is a big risk for a $700 product if you don't get a chance to play it, test the harmonics etc. If the seller says I'll meet you at Maccas - say good bye.................

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    ex4n likes this.
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

He will get a chance to play it and how much he's prepared to risk on a purchase is up to him. I've bought secondhand guitars and I was prepared to risk what I paid (not much). I'd probably not spend $700 other than in a shop, but it's up to OP.

ex4n likes this.
  9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Just trying to advise he find a friend that knows what their looking at.....

ex4n likes this.
  10. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Just re your original post for this thread, you seem to like slim necks and shorter scale lengths. May I suggest you look at a Fender Mustang or Duo-Sonic? They're not your common styles, but Fender make some decent reiusses of these out of their Mexico factory that are in your price range.

ex4n likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks for the advice, although I'm not the best player, I didn't go in blind. I've done some research on how to inspect a guitar properly, and have stuffed around with the one I have adjusting everything and learning about setups in the time I've had it. It's a little different to a strat but the same basics apply. I don't really know anyone in Perth who could have come with me to inspect so I may have taken a bit of a gamble, but I am prepared to take that chance if I am completely wrong somehow.

I agree with this, and I usually trust my gut, if something feels off or the guy is too pushy or desperate I would probably walk away. If I couldn't inspect it properly etc. I'd look elsewhere, although I've bought some things from Maccers carpark deals, it was nothing that required careful inspection.

Thanks for the suggestions, had I not selected something already, I'd have definitely checked these out at a store. Something to keep in mind if I want to change things up in future.

12. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Well, I decided to buy the Strat last night, think I got it for a good price, and within my budget. Spent about 20 minutes playing and inspecting it, the seller was cool, just left me alone to check it out without any pressure. From chatting to him, he has a lot of other quite high end/nice guitars, and was just selling this as he's not playing as often and downsizing his collection. He has owned it since new and it's only seen occasional use in that time, hasn't been his #1 or anything and hasn't been thrashed or abused, everything still original except the strings. It's pretty much 30 years old so it has a bit of expected wear, but nothing significant. Frets look good and feel good, nice and level and not worn out or flat, the neck feels really nice to play, no warp or twisting and action is perfect as it is, intonation seems fine but I will be taking the strings off to give it a clean then will go over the whole setup myself to properly check it out. Overall was really pleased with how it felt and played so made him an offer and he accepted. He also threw in a gig bag, stand, clip on tuner and a few other little bits.

Anyway, here's a pic :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Perko and Bold Eagle like this.
  13. Boneman

Boneman Member

Great success!

ex4n likes this.
  14. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Nice looking strat there! Strats are my fave electric guitars, I keep gravitating back to them and I now own 4 of them... :/
    MIJ Fenders are fantastic instruments. Enjoy getting to know it and learning along the way!

ex4n likes this.
  15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Never mind, you can get a Tele next time..... :D

J/K, hope you enjoy it. :)

Is that the MIJ you mentioned?

ex4n likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Yea, it's a MIJ Strat, 88-89 according to the serial#, still trying to work out exactly what kind, according to the seller it was a standard, but I'll work out exactly what soon. I took the neck off and it does have a 57 style neck so that's one thing to note, and an 8 screw 1 ply pickguard. I think they put these necks on standards too, but just used different pickups, so I will see what I can work out based on info online over the next few weeks. Mostly just curious what it is exactly, but pretty sure it's just a standard based on everything I've seen so far.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  17. broccoli

broccoli Member

So, how are you liking your new guitar, OP?

18. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

So far so good, really enjoying playing it. I wouldn't say it's made me any better, but it has made me want to play more. I spent a heap of time practicing on the weekend and I do feel like I have improved a little, learned a new song too!

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm not calling you a bad influence (you're a bad influence!!) but I bought another guitar on the weekend and it did motivate me to practise on it. It really helps having an instrument that you like the sound and feel of.

ex4n likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

haha very nice, what did you get?