1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Amazon Australia

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by glenpinn, May 28, 2020.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi peeps, i have decided to build up my GoPro 7 Black into a more professional setup ready for our next holiday overseas.

I intend making a Hand held Rig for outdoor and travel shoots that looks like this.
    [​IMG]

I created a Cart with Amazon.com.au with all the items i need, except for a 3 Post TRS Edutige ETM-001 omnidirectional Mic, which i had to buy direct from the Edutige Ebay store in USA as Amazon only sell the EIM-001 4 Post TRRS model, which won't work with the GoPro Mic Adapter.

So i placed the order, only to find out that many of the items are actually shipped to me from different stores in USA and China, and i was told that the Ulanzi Selfie Handle Power Bank (with cage) and the Ulanzi 49 LED light would not arrive until at least late July, the rest would arrive by mid June.

The screenshot below is, or was my Cart until i canceled it for now, just so i can see if i can get some of these items elsewhere.

I have since been advised by the store that delivers the Ulanzi Power Bank Grip that they should be able to deliver it between 10 and 20 days no problems, so i may re-order it if i can't get it elsewhere.

[​IMG]

I have never used Amazon Aust before, so is this common practice by having different orders and delivery dates depending who the supplier is, as i always thought that Amazon ships all items from their own warehouse facility in Australia.

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Only if it's sold by Amazon Aust., I think you've purchased from sellers in the Amazon marketplace or items that are actually from other Amazon sites OS... it will normally show international delivery and a higher postage fee than local stock.

JSmith

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Worthwhile to get prime membership... free overseas shipping if order is over 50 bucks... I've used it alot and usually it's still faster than buying local lol

4. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I have no idea what Prime is, i just saw it mentioned in my order.

I just wish i had of know about how Amazon works first before placing my order, and when i got the email regarding my order being divided into 3 separate orders with different delivery costs i may have got put off and just canceled the order until i can see if i can get the same stuff elsewhere.

When my order for the Ulanzi Power Bank selfie grip and the Video Light came thru with a late July delivery date and coming from 2 different sellers, that was the killer, but they claim now that 10 to 20 days should be more accurate.

I wanted to buy the Ulanzi Power Bank selfie grip (with cage) and the light from Ulanzi direct, as the other day they were 25% off, but when i went to buy them yesterday they were missing from their website, most likely they ran out of stock.

They do have another 6800mAh power bank grip, but it doesnt have the cage, nor has it got the pivoting connector at the top like the other 5200mAh one has.

Anyway, i guess i will get it sorted.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

From the image it seems you've agreed to the "free" trial of Prime... watch, when the free period is up your card will be billed automatically if you don't cancel the Prime membership.

It's not unusual for Amazon to split orders especially different products like this. I'd suggest some of those sellers are drop shipping.

JSmith

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Prime trial, i had no idea, i didn't select that.

And yes they are drop shipping from 3 different suppliers.

I did a cart for most of the main gear i need in the ULANZI website, however 2 of the 6 items are sold through Amazon America, the rest are direct from Ulanzi in China.

I will still need to buy the special GoPro Mic adapter to fit inside the cage elsewhere, but i really want to get everything from one place, so i may as well re-create the Amazon cart and just go with them, least i can get everything i need from or thru them, and just wait it out.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Amazon splits orders up like crazy. Ive put in an order for 4 different items from Amazon US and it came as 4 separate expedited orders.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yep i had a few people tell me the same thing today, but Even Ulanzi who actually make most of the GoPro gear that i want, and ship from USA and China, had 4 of the items i wanted, but 2 of them they ship via Amazon USA, so i am no better off than buying all the stuff through Amazon Australia again, and just have it all arrive in 3 lots, at different times.

This means that i have no idea when it will all be here, so i cant get my new Rig completed until then.

9. fad

fad Member

I put in a cart in Amazon AU, 6 items you could get from Coles. They were packed in 3 different boxes, and all arrived within a few days of each other. They were pretty big boxes, with free shipping. I guess the shipping would have been the cost of the items if send via Australia Post.

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah, i can buy a lot of stuff list in Amazon from other shops, not necessarily cheaper, but buying everything from one store just seems to make the whole thing a lot easier, which it definitely is, but it is the way your order is dealt with that is the issue, placing one Cart, going thru checkout, then have an email with your order, and seeing it broken up into 3 separate sales, but you pay Amazon the grand total once your order has been processed.

I was lucky that i read my order very well, noting the 3 different orders, and different arrival times, so i panicked and just canceled my whole order before my card was charged.

Thankfully i have sow had confirmation from 2 stores that the parts i ordered from them should arrive by late June, not late July, so i hope this will be the case, as i am going to re-build my original Cart and just go for it.

11. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hey guys, i have decided to re-order all my gear with Amazon tonight, and just wait it out, but before i place the order i need to get a dual card reader similar to the one in the link below, it has the normal USB and a USB-C connector each end, plus an SD and a Micro card slot on the side.

Is there a real difference in quality of these things as far as branding goes, as this one here is the only one like it so far in Amazon, and i prefer to have a reader that plugs direct into the laptop without using a cable, or does a cable not really make any real difference at all either.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Satechi-A...ef=sr_1_27?qid=1590759108&s=computers&sr=1-27

Otherwise maybe this Sandisk tripple card readers.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Sandisk-I...E3XPR5SD9EV&psc=1&refRID=EZXGQ15FYE3XPR5SD9EV

Or this Lexar Multi card reader.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Lexar-Mul...d-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=4913458051

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I love my Lexar card readers. Been using them for almost 10 years and have been rock solid. I have two of them.

Also I prefer cable connection because it frees up ports if using multiple devices (if your hardware has them stacked/limited access)

13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yes i also love Lexar, and i recall when Lexar came onto the market, many used to say that they were just some cheap generic type brand, but i have never had any issues with any of their stuff, but i have had no end of trouble with Sandisk Micro SD cards, and some of the SD adapters that the Micro cards are put in to read them, but i have never used a Sandisk plug in card reader before.

I have 2x 256gb Samsung EVO Plus cards for use in my GoPro 7, they have been great as well, i usually alternate them, but with shooting video i like to have spares in case something goes wrong, seen a lot of people travel with just 1 card for their camera, i would never risk it myself.

The Pop Up Lexar Multi card reader that i linked to has a lot of card options in that, but it kind of looks like a cheap toy to me, have you got any thoughts on that, as my preference would be for that plug in Sandisk triple reader, not that i need a CF reader, but it would be handy to have it, and i am ordering 2 card readers, one will be for my Son, but he will be using his new Angelbird AV Pro CF Card Reader with his new Angelbird CFast cards that i recently bought him.

Unfortunately the Amazon Aust website does not carry many Sandisk and Lexar readers, most of them are brands i never heard of.

I did see this Transcend triple card reader and a dual card reader as well.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Transcend...s=transcend+card+reader&qid=1590805432&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com.au/Transcend...s=transcend+card+reader&qid=1590805513&sr=8-2

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

All you can do is read reviews and decide what you prefer best.

15. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member