1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from CCC Warehouse

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Moosenuckle, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Moosenuckle

Moosenuckle Member

I am about to buy a Tamron 35mm f1.4 lens for my 5D mkIV and it's only $839.00 from CCC Warehouse, has anyone shopped with them in the last 12 months, also I know they are gray imports but has anyone had to do a warranty claim with them?

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

No vendor verdicts allowed on OCAU but I won't close the thread.

You kind of answered your own question though... there are limitations on what you may/may not be looked after with when it comes to warranty.

If there are other members that post you can share your experience (if you have one) but please just refrain from actual comments about the vendor.

3. OP
    OP
    Moosenuckle

Moosenuckle Member

So we are not permitted to ask basic questions like what I asked yet others can post their experiences?

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

They can if they aren't specifically writing a vendor verdict/review. I was merely pointing out it's a fine line between the two.

Would rather you get an answer than nothing at all. And of course if someone posts in here and has a shared experience you can always PM them to discuss further.

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Some points on grey market warranty:

You have zero rights. Your grey marketeer has no obligation to fix anything.
    If your grey marketeer decides to send your hardware back in worse condition than you sent it, you have no rights.
    If they lose your hardware while repairing it, you have no rights to compensation.

Avoid the stress and heartache and just assume you have no warranty and will have to pay someone local to repair the item.

spectre257 and Deftone2k like this.
  6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

wait for a discounted local retailer in most cases these days
    Note you may also get slugged for GST+Duty which adds to the cost (you may get through though)

Deftone2k and spectre257 like this.
  7. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

So, for what it's worth...'back in the day' I used to import lenses from DWI a grey importer which has since closed down. The thing that made it worth it, to me, was that I had no money and the lenses were significantly cheaper than any bricks and mortar store. From memory I'd guess between 30% to 50% max. Furthermore, people were turned off by grey imports and I was able to sell my lenses a year or three later for more than I paid. It was crazy. During this time I realised a few things.

Lenses didn't date, most lenses had been around for 5+ years and were still considered current. If they were superseded, the the new copy wasn't always better (there might be trade offs, cheaper vs optical or lighter etc). This meant they held their value incredibly well.

Lenses, or at least expensive lenses, are built incredibly well. The margin for error seemed incredibly slim. Most issues appeared to be design issues (soft sigma 24-70s anyone?) rather than manufacturing faults. A lens actually dying was and still is almost unheard of. So warranty wasn't really needed in 99% of cases. I don't think this has changed, in fact I think things have only gotten better as designs improve.

Resale was incredibly high. I knew I could easily offload a lens at or above what I paid for a grey import.

GST was not a thing. DWI would write the receipt as $100 customs and that would be it.

So I got a good run. I kept trading up until I eventually had a well rounded kit.

It was a risk reward situation which absolutely paid off. I never bought a single piece of gear in Australia and I never had a problem. Things have changed now and the savings just don't seem to be there these days. Most grey importers have wised up and target their lenses for a small fraction less than a bricks and mortar store. GST seems to be more legitimate and the market feels like it's trying to scrape by on the margin.

At the time, the risk was absolutely worth the reward. However as the prices get closer, I've found that it just isn't and have moved back to local. That said I recently (within the last 12 months or a little more) bought a very expensive lens off ebay only to find that it was sold by kennards (unless, and quite likely, the receipt is a forgery). I've also made the odd purchase from amazon, but amazon have warranty status.

PS I was kinda drunk when I wrote this and I may now realise some of what I said was incredibly incredibly repetitive.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Humane likes this.