Buying local art (paintings/prints)

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Skramit, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

So now that I'm a grown up and have a house with lots of empty wall space, I thought I should get some nice prints (or originals) to hang. I like the idea of getting something unique and from a local (Australian) artist. I like the idea of supporting some "poor" artists who paints for the passion and needs to sell their stuff to make a living - not paying some printing agency to re-print something that 100,000 other people have.

Are there any good websites where I can browse artists by location - especially artists who just wanna sell their own stuff to make a living. There's must be some good sites out there?

Or am I better off going to some local galleries in Melb and doing some scoping that way - which sounds horrific to me - and probably more expensive.

I'm also open to the idea of digital art as well.

Any suggestions where I should start?

2. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

My younger sister did a show case of her work at one of the RAW events in Melbourne recently, if you are looking for grass roots artists that might be a good place to start.

https://www.rawartists.org/artists/search/

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Also, art exhibitions and art competitions offer work for sale. They had the artworks that were submitted for prizes for sale at the Perth Royal Show. There's at least one school here that has an annual exhibition and sale (or used to). Keep an eye out for minor exhibitions. The art schools probably have them, and might have newsletters about others.

4. Baringa

Baringa Member

Look for smaller galleries, which showcase local, new, or up-and-coming artists. You will probably have an art society or something in your area that you could ask at, or with recommendations. Your local council might also have an arts coordinator who will know of local artists, small galleries, etc! But definitely some art isnt cheap (nor should it be!). :) I'm an artist and I sell my original work through small local galleries, either solo or joint exhibitions. I think its worth looking for galleries in your area and going around to look at some exhibitions to get an idea of which artists are in your area and who is making work in a style that you're into!

5. wwwww

wwwww Member

If like me, you don't appreciate modern art, then consider estate auctions, there are plenty of turn of the century artworks from Australian schools turning up and you'd be surprised how cheap they are.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Believe it or not, if you're lucky, you can also pick up original work at opshops. I've snaffled a couple.