Buying stuff from B&H (USA)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by glenpinn, May 15, 2020.

1. 3stars

3stars Member

i've never had trouble with them and a fantastic shop to visit, even has it's own New York policeman stationed inside the store

2. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Just remember to add about 15% to the cost for gst and duties.

And keep in mind it will come with an USA power beick

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Buy it from a store that has less than $75,000 in sales to Australia you should avoid any GST and import/customs duties, as i was informed in my other post about buying the Angelbird CFast cards.

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/defau...2_Q_and_A_Applying_GST_to_low_value_goods.pdf

Obviously Angelbird do not sell much stuff direct to customers in Australia, but i still don't get why some people have to pay these fees but others don't, just because the place of purchase does not sell much stuff to Australia, yet if i buy it from B&H in USA i have to pay them.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. Xang

Xang Member

I would hazard a guess that there is a limit at which it is economical to chase down these fees. The ATO can't police every seller in the whole world.

5. mtma

mtma Member

The low value threshold is also consistent with the local taxation rules. But of course the local rules also are there to promote the opportunity for small start up businesses to gain to self sustainable sizes.

Reality is that the tax office won't be checking on anything but the biggest international vendors. Unscrupulous ones could simply be collecting 10% and under-declaring to pay nothing - it would be really hard in many cases for the tax office investigate.

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

What about customs or import duties, are they not payable as well ?

I just assumed that the postal service company would have to notify someone regarding these types of items entering Australia.

I'm not complaining, it just seems a bit odd that some people have to pay and others don't.

From now on i will try to buy goods such as these Angelbird cards etc from smaller offshore companies to try and avoid the taxes and fees that you must pay via stores like B&H

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Just luck of the draw.. just like it always was when people sent items with a low value declaration to get under the old $1000 threshold.

You might be lucky or might not be, and that is where the balance of luck is worth it or not (if you pay less and hope you dont get stung, or dont and pay more). If the item gets found and isnt declared correctly there is a $75 or $100 admin fee added to it IIRC.

You also then pay tax on the shipping amount also.

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thanks everyone, so i saved about $400 on these items which here in Aust would have cost me about $1150 inc post, even if i had to pay GST and other duties/fees, it would have been around $75 GST and about $25 import duties, so i still would have saved about $300 which is awesome, now i wish i had of bought another 256gb CFast card with the savings.

9. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

You were lucky, its not the rule. So some overseas retailers will charge you the GST as part of the sales process, but if they don't it usually gets flagged by the transport method (i.e. AusPost, Courier etc) upon import into the country.

If it comes in via AusPost, the process is bloody painful - as in they will hold it, send you a letter in the mail, then you have to lodge a bunch of paperwork with Customs with payment. Then wait longer, then AusPost releases it for delivery and of course don't ring your doorbell when trying to deliver it and card it and make you then go and visit an LPO with bad operating hours 2 suburbs away rather than the 5 closer post offices... </end rant>. I've had to do this process twice with AusPost, and both times from the point the item arrived in the country until it was released/available for pickup was around 2 weeks each time.

With couriers, if you haven't paid GST already, they will contact you and arrange to do the customs brokerage for a small fee over the phone before the item even lands in the country, so when it does arrive it doesn't get held up and gets delivered straight away. This is a big reason why I'll choose the slightly more expensive courier option for transport of items from overseas every single time over anything that will end up in AusPost's hands.

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

We had no calls, texts or emails from UPS, the goods arrived Friday and delivered to my Sons place at 1pm, he was not home, they left a card to collect call them to arrange a pickup at the local 7Eleven store down the road, so my Son picked it up on Monday morning, no paperwork, no nothing, which totally surprised me, as i definitely did not pay any GST or customs duties or fees at purchase time, so unless someone contacts me or my Son then i got away with it, saving $400 on the sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I just wouldn't depend on it happening again, this is a exception rather than what normally happens. As it is, even if you got slugged with GST you were still better off buying from overseas in this case, not having to pay the GST was just an added bonus.

Deftone2k likes this.
  12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep you got away with it, count your lucky stars but it isn't the norm :)

13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yep all good, and i do want to buy 2 of their brand new dual slot SD card readers (matched to the SD cards for URSA Mini cameras) when they become available at end of June, and i might buy another set of the CFast cards that i just bought as well, so it will be interesting to see what happens then.

I almost feel guilty to be honest, think i might go hide out in the bushes now in case the border force agents (customs cops) come knocking at my door :sick::D

Cheers

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

You could pay your penance by going and buying something from Harvey Norman, given we have Gerry Harvey to thank for sub-$1k imported items having GST collected on them now. :p

(please don't actually buy anything from that asshole)

glenpinn likes this.
  15. rommy

rommy Member

I think the reason you didn't get GST was because the total value was under $1K. Last time I bought few things from B&H, the total was around $1.2K and I Fedex contacted me prior to the delivery asked me whether I wanted to pay GST to them or pick up at custom and pay GST myself. I paid GST to Fedex and got my items delivered in the arvo.

16. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Don't worry, the only thing i will buy from him is the actual business :thumbup:

No Wait, i probably have to pay him 10% GST on the sale price, no way sucker, i will buy B&H instead.

But this goes against everything that has been mentioned already in this thread.

There is no minimum spend limit now for GST to be paid on items bought from overseas, OR could there be something else going on here that none of us know about.

I'm not going to take this any further, bad enough now that i feel like i need to hide from the Doooo-Gooders out there.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    rommy likes this.
  17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

its just that they're under the pump with the amount of stuff coming in these days, so they're skipping a lot of small shipments from what i can tell.
    Its a lottery, I had $1400 of wheels shipped ex-uk and nothing from customs

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

This might sound most likely, but DON'T tell Gerry Harvey, otherwise things could change :eek::sick::thumbdn:

Also, i had no idea that Sandisk was bought out by Western Digital in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk

Last edited: May 30, 2020