Buzzing, clicking noise from Inwin PSU under gamin load

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by dainese, Oct 30, 2020.

1. dainese

dainese Member

Hey guys,

About 3 months ago or so I built my first PC in about 15 years or so.

Specs in my signature but of note is the Inwin A1 and included 600 watt PSU.

I love the case and I love the look. It lives on my desk, yes. As it should.

I've had issues with a clicking buzzing noise that only happens under gaming (presumably video card load).

Video here and audio clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/dainese01/inwin-power-supply-noise

The noise is audible with the case closed and obviously when open. It is very distracting. Even gaming with speakers and all fans loaded up, its there and its annoying.

Speaking with Inwin, apparently this was 'rare' and they sent me to Capitol Computers in Sydney CBD to reproduce the issue. The staff there were a little bit dismissive of the issue and in the loud shop, it was hard to hear the issue. I guess they weren't obligated or motivated to help given I didn't buy the case from there (but got from Umart). Staff cited that all PSUs make noise and that you wouldn't hear it if the case was on floor etc and its more obvious because its on the desk.

Things that have been done to troubleshoot.
    1. Swapped PSU to brand new replacement from Inwin
    2. Swapped video card from RX580 to 1080GTX
    3. Tried different power point
    4. Isolated (disconnected) all fans
    5. Swapped PSU to a Corsaid VS450 which resulted in NO NOISE
    I bought the case new and it came with a PSU. Yes it works but this issue just reeks of poor quality. It wasn't a freebie so it did form the package that I paid for.

Curious about what you guys think?

Cut losses and just stick a real PSU in and warn everyone of their shitty PSUs?

Thanks,

2. mareke

mareke Member

It might be a fan with worn or defective bearing or a fan blade touching something. To check this run the computer and stop each fan while listening for the noise. I've had noise like that from a fan in a graphics card & a case fan with a worn bearing but not from a PSU. If it's coming from the PSU it's more likely to be coil whine when the PSU is under load. I've never heard of inwin. If unwin was a quality brand it would be well known.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Welcome to coil whine.

The PSU may be poor quality, but it can literally happen to even the best PSU's.

Components are vibrating under the current resonance which is causing the magnetic field to hit that sweet (yet annoying) spot.

This sounds like a very mild case by the video, but any coil whine can be annoying.

If you have swapped the PSU out and its gone, it's the PSU. There is not necessarily a fault with that PSU, you may be able to put it in another system and there will be no whine. It is purely the combination of components (PSU/GPU/MOSFET) which creates a recipe for this to happen.

Bin/Sell the included PSU and stick with the new one

P.S. also this Capitol Computers mob is full of shit. Modern PC's are designed to be silent operating (that's why majority of PSU fans do not start to spin until they hit a threshold of load:temp)

4. OP
    OP
    dainese

dainese Member

Thanks mate. Yeah I didn't think it was fan noise, through my troubleshooting.

Yeah Inwin make cases, they aren't known for their PSUs which would be commissioned by others to make.

I also suspected coil whine through my research too.

Thanks

5. OP
    OP
    dainese

dainese Member

Ok great, thanks for confirming that it is coil whine. Not sure if it is mild as I haven't heard any others live. It is very noticeable and I don't always game with headphones. I think the phone video and audio file don't pick up the sound as accurately as one might hear it in person but in any case, Yeah, it is a bit annoying, I didn't build a computer for it to be noisy!

Will find another and cut my losses but might send them an email about it as a final say maybe.

Yeah agreed. I didn't buy their logic, their deflections and knew I wasn't going to get any agreement from them. We all enjoy quiet operation when normal loads. Thing is the coil whine is induced on load immediately. Given the PSU is not great, I effectively paid ~$170 for an ITX case only. Oh well. it is what it is. Maybe a partial refund from Inwin might be a way forward. Will report back.

6. power

power Member

coil whine, seen it before. my old PSU had this, shit me to tears.

7. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

IMO ive never liked inwin cases, there is a reason that they are not widely stocked (besides the fact they uuuuuuuuuuuugly).

And Case/PSU combos never spell quality, they're cutting margins by pairing them (this is why PSU's are sold separately), so sacrifices are typically made. Again, any PSU can have coil whine though. I RMA'd a platinum Corsair PSU recently and they sent me 2 units before I finally got one that didn't make my GPU whine. Luck of the draw really

8. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

Nowdays PSU combos with well known brands offer pretty good value, especially the CM combos. The price comes off the case because that's where more money is made. However Inwin make their own PSUs and they're more focused on value rather than quality. You can still hit 80+ gold cert with rubbish components inside. To fix the coil while, yes it can sort of be done but you really need to know what you're doing. I have done a coil whine fix on the old TT430w PSU that used to come bundled with the TT shark and soprano cases, by putting hot glue over the horizontal coils. Not ideal at all.

Your best option is to cut losses and get a decent SFX psu for the case.

9. OP
    OP
    dainese

dainese Member

Aww, I like my humble Inwin A1 in black...

No I never expected it too. But I didn't expect it to be a throw away or sell for $10 exercise.

The noise seems to be coming from the PSU. In your case, did the PSU induce coil whine from the GPU?

10. OP
    OP
    dainese

dainese Member

Yeah, will do that. But I will still email them to see if they have a solution/outcome. I can't have been the only one and looking quickly online, it seems I am not the only one

11. asho444

asho444 Member

My FSP aurum developed this a few months before it died.
    so just be wary it could happen.

also nothing wrong with inwin cases! i love my 301!