C# connect to SQL server express

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Quantum Flux, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux Member

Been programming causally for a few years. Mostly desktop apps using C#.

I want to start using external databases for my software, so I'm playing with SQL server.

Have installed Windows Server 2016 eval on a virtualbox machine, and SQL server 2017 Express.

Created a database called testdb.

Windows firewall on DB server is turned off.

At the moment, I'm trying to simply open a connection to the database from my physical system -

Code:
    using (var conn = new SqlConnection())
                {
                    conn.ConnectionString = @"Server=172.16.170.40\SQLEXPRESS;Database=testdb;Trusted_Connection=True";
                    conn.Open();
                }
    However, I just get an exception when it attempts to open the connection -
    Code:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in System.Data.dll

Additional information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    It seems to behave as though it cant reach the server, though i am able to ping the VM.

I've worked through a bunch of different tutorials, but few address setting up the database very much. I'm thinking I've missed something there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. Aich-Kay

Aich-Kay Member

Start sql browser service id say

Also specify instance name if required

3. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Try

Code:
    conn.ConnectionString = @"Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=testdb;Trusted_Connection=True";
    Something about named pipes and binding on every interface

4. Aich-Kay

Aich-Kay Member

Ahh yeah enable tcpip in sql server configurator.
    Good one