1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

C-Fast Card Reader

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by glenpinn, May 12, 2020.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi peeps, i am looking at buying a set of 2x 256gb Angelbird C-Fast AV Pro cards for my Sons URSA Min Pro G2 camera, and i need to grab a good quality/reliable C-Fast card reader capable of handling these types of cards.

https://www.digidirect.com.au/photo...ck-for-the-blackmagic-design-ursa-mini-2-pack

His editing PC only has USB 3.1 ports, no type C, but i wanted to get a reader that has the Type-C port on it if possible, and use the appropriate cable to connect to his PC at home, or his laptop when away from home or on a shoot.

Would be good to have a slot for SD card as well.

Any recommendations ?

Edit: anyone know much about this one here.
    https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p...al-slot-cf-sd-memory-card-reader-steel31.html

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

What adapter would you be referring to ?

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Just made an enquiry directly with Angelbird about buying a match set of their AV Pro CFast cards for the URSA Mini camera, and their dedicated CFast card reader, seems like a massive savings if what i am seeing in my tentative Checkout is right.

[​IMG]

Those matched cards are $1025 and $1275 respectively from the following Australian stores, only $615au if bought thru Angelbird, and $755au including the CFast reader and postage.

Not sure if i am supposed to pay any import duties/taxes though.

4. Renza

Renza Member

5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

The CFast cards are used in his URSA Mini Pro G2 Camera to record video on while on set, and he needs a CFast card reader to plug the card into, and then connect that to a laptop to dump the files onto, so it must be a portable type card reader.

His camera has 2 CFast card slots, so as soon as the first card fills up (approx 15 to 25 minutes of recording time) the camera will start recording to the 2nd card, so the first card needs to be cleared of files very quickly before using it again.

That adapter is not the same thing as the type of card reader my Son needs, that adapter requires the CFast card to be placed inside the casing and then plugged inside a laptop or computer, or a powered HDD caddy to access the files.

The Angelcard CFast card reader in my previous post is the one i am ordering from Angelbird along with the 2 match CFast cards.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  6. Renza

Renza Member

I was just presuming that's what ae00711 meant, as cfast cards are just SATA SSDs in a CF form factor. There's nothing special about the readers, sata-usb bridge chips are cheap and mature these days

7. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

In the film industry one does not buy el cheapo CFast card readers, there are so many crappy ones out there, and then you get the good ones.

The match set of Angelbird CFast cards i am buying are specifically made to suit the URSA Mini series of cameras, so they are 100% compatible and are very good quality cards, so i went to the BlackMagic forum and the experts in there advised me to buy the Angelbird CFast card reader as well, as the reader is guaranteed to work and is compatible with those CFast cards.

8. Spiredore

Spiredore Member

Wouldn't you just go for a Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder
    That would seem to make life much easier for those longer recording sessions?

9. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

It might be for some people, but SSD's pose big issues as far as compatibility goes, as well as bottlenecking, basically meaning that it is not advisable to record to more than half of the space on the SSD, the bigger the capacity the worse it can be.

You also have the issue of mounting the SSD's and running the cables to the connectors on the body of the camera, on the URSA Mini Pro G2 there is a USB-C port behind the flip out screen, which if used to record to an external device, the screen can't be closed if using an external 5" or 7" monitor like my son does, he claims it is very annoying.

I think there is an SSD caddy that fits on the rear of the URSA but it needs to be connected to one of the SDI ports, and my Son uses both SDI ports already.

He was using a 500gb Samsung T5 Mini SSD but it just wasn't practical for him, the CFast cards were designed for video and many cameras these days have the slots, even though CFast cards are expensive, so too are good quality super fast SD cards as well, and not as reliable as CFast cards.

I went for the match set of 256gb CFast AV Pro cards that were designed for the URSA Mini Pro cameras, these cards are match from the same batch and they are guaranteed 100% compatible for that camera, and fully tested with high data rate BM RAW video.

I think Angelbird are doing a great job with their Video gear, they are a fairly new company compared to others, and have a very good reputation, and getting better all the time, and have probably learned a lot from the mistakes made by other big name manufacturers, which is why i bought their gear, and i would never buy any recording cards unless they are guaranteed by the camera manufacturer to work on the camera they will be used on.

I bought the Angelbird CFast card reader too, as this is also made to work with their own CFast cards, so all his recoding gear is now the same brand.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hey Guys, the Angelbird CFast Cards and Reader arrived from Austria yesterday, exactly 4 days since they were posted.

Here is the interesting part, the following is the tracking record of where these items have been on their trip half way around the world, unbelievable that they actually arrived in just 4 days.

[​IMG]

I would almost bet that if i bought them from B&W in USA they would still be in the USA :rolleyes::D

My Son was working on Friday when the UPS delivered them to his place, so a card was left to tell him they will try again Monday.

So far there has been no Emails regarding the GST or Import/Customs fees that should be payable, so i am curious if the delivery guy will have that paperwork, if he hasn't then i don't know what will happen.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  11. slavewone

slavewone Member

4 days is very impressive.

I’ve got something at the other end of the scale. I bought it in January, last scan was China March 13.

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

They scanned it for COVID-19, came back positive, into the furnace it went :D Nah, that sucks.

Given the items from Austria went to Germany, UK, 2 stops in USA, Sydney, then Melb yes very impressive.

Not all goes to plan though, i sent a 3kg box (40cmx40cmx50cm) to Germany on April 5th, normally 7 days transit, but with COVID-19 they said at least 14 days, have now lodged a lost item case, not heard from Aus Post for 6 days, so i have had good and bad, but the 4 day delivery was with UPS, not Aus Post.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

My Son got the CFast cards and reader today, there was no paperwork supplied to pay any GST or Customs/Import duties, so maybe the GST and other fees are not applicable on stuff bought from certain countries.

14. Renza

Renza Member

15. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

In one of my emails to Angelbird last week i asked if they will send me the invoice for the GST and any import duties into Australia, and they advised me that they do not charge any fees applicable to taxes or customs charges on any items they sell, regardless of location or cost.

I would have assumed that UPS may have had to submit some paperwork but it seems they don't, so i am not going to complain, saved another $100.

16. Renza

Renza Member

If you read the link, they don't need to collect GST unless their turnover (direct, not via distributors) is in excess of $75k or more to Australia.

17. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah i made my previous post before reading that link.