C4NGen Medium Gaming Mouse Pad Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by EC MEISTER, Mar 13, 2010.

1. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

Introduction & Product

Today I’ll be reviewing a gaming mouse pad, the C4NGen Medium courtesy of hillsdistrictconsolemods. For those interested, the pad manufacturer, CS Hyde produce high performance Fabrics, Tapes and Belting. I personally have a theory that someone in the company was a gamer and may have taken the odd bit of sheeting home to use as a mouse pad, which in turn lead to the C4NGen line of mouse pads.To put it into perspective, by my measurements the pad is sized at 240mm x 215mm x 3mm. Pictured below is the C4NGen with a Logitech G5 and the pad compared to a large sized hand.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

No fancy carry cases, no fancy graphics, this is purely a gaming pad that was designed for that purpose and that purpose alone, specifically tested on Logitech gaming mice, but that’s not to say it doesn’t work very well with other brands or optical mice. The C4NGen comes in a plastic protective covering and was surrounded by cardboard to protect the mat against folding during transport. The bronze colour of the mat also matches the original G5 and the G15v2. The C4 is made of a sturdy rubber style anti-slip base with a smooth Teflon surface glued on top of it. With the C4Ngen priced at $30 it offers very good value for money and isn’t set at a ridiculous price for a pad.

Testing

I’ve spent the good portion of a day getting used to the ultra-slick surface of the C4. You will definitely feel the difference if you are a claw grip type user, for someone that rests their palm on the mouse, you will at first have to reaccommodate your style to suit this pad. You may overshoot your movements as there is much less friction between the pad and your mouse, so things may drift a small amount.

I’ve used DPI setting from 400 – 2000 and I can’t say that there have been any tracking issues. I prefer to keep the setting around the 800 range with medium mouse sensitivity setting as I’m used to average hand movement. For those who like massive screen movement with little hand movement, you’ll have to decide for yourself if you’d like a smoother surface.

I’m comparing this pad against a generic foam type pad, a Zalman cloth mat, Powerwave aluminium pad that has a stuck on low-friction surface and several other pads I’ve used with similar surfaces. I had been using the Powerwave for quite some time but the surface eventually slid a lot to the right. A metal to sheet pad has durability problems and can’t be fixed, if you try to remove it and re-stick it, the surface will get damaged as I’ve learned and will have noticeable imperfections in it. The generic mat didn’t stand a chance, there’s just too much friction for smooth movements so it gets the chop here.

My current oversized cloth mat had been my preference until now. Cloth mats are very comfortable and won’t put much pressure on any part of your palm that you rest on your desk compared to a harder metal style pad. The C4 reminded me of what I loved about low friction pads but without the comfort issue of a hard surface.

Surprisingly the size of the pad is more than adequate for a single widescreen monitor, multi-screen users I’d advise you to go for the larger size.

In FPS I’ve found sniping to be so much easier compared to the cloth pad, especially when switching to a lower dpi setting. In an assault however, accuracy is about the same as the Zalman cloth pad but you just can’t beat the ice skating feeling when using the C4. It’s like sending a ninja on ice-skates into an ice-hockey game. You just can’t lose.

Real time strategy and flash bases isometric games take advantage of this smooth precision. I can say that selecting items on an isometric grid has become marginally quicker and more accurate. Trying all of the above on a Microsoft optical mouse still provides good gains, the surface just works and I can’t fault it.

Personally I was a little disappointed with the name. I was expecting the C4 pad to spontaneously combust at some point, but the Teflon surface provided such little friction between the two surfaces that even if I tried I couldn’t even start a small fire. The mat didn’t even transform into a French made dancing car robot, but I suppose this C4 is made by a different manufacturer and as such I shall be concluding.

Conclusion

I would highly recommend this pad to anyone, with the following warning. If you’re an average consumer, make sure you’ve tried at least one low friction pad as I can’t guarantee that you will prefer a smoother pad unless you’ve tried it for yourself.

Pros
    -Great Value (considering the price of certain other gaming pads)
    -Super Smooth
    -Good tracking across a wide DPI range
    -Comfortable
    -Excellent Anti-Slip Base

Cons
    -Size may be small for some users
    -Some may say no carry case is a con

Overall I’d give this nothing less than a 4.5/5

Click to view full size!

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks good, but for me I need a larger mouse pad (definite con for me). I hate going off the edge of smaller mouse mats : )

3. OP
    OP
    EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

It makes a great wobble board too!

4. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

It looks just like the conveyer belt canvas from my old work, i reckon it would fray at the edges after a couple months though, if you sweat alot i think it would probably go hard and brittle too.

I reckon $20 would be a better price for a pad that size and material, $30 just seems a little expensive for what it is especially since i know it's just basically an offcut of belt canvass with a screen printed logo.

5. Realrift

Realrift Member

This is a teflon coated pad. I have used a larger version on one of these for a few years. No fraying. Not going brittle.

Quite frankly it is the best mouse pad I have ever used and I have bought 2 more.

Teflon pad + teflon tape on mouse feet = greased lightning.

It does crease easily if bent and you need to keep it clean for best results. You will feel every bit of dust or dirt on the pad.

Cheers,
    Rift.

6. shadowman

shadowman Member

I've had one of these for months now, since Dan of Dansdata reviewed one. The one I bought is much larger than this one, about 40x27cm.

I cannot fault it one bit, its durable and smooth (you may have to get used to the 'metallic' feel).

Ordering was easy and I received the mousepad in 5 working days (even though it came from the USA, direct from CS Hyde).

The only very minor quibble I have is that in colder environments, the thing does get a bit chilly due to it being metal.

If there is one thing I'd do differently, it would be to get the one without the rubber backing, so I could stick it straight to my desk.

Definitely recommended.

7. alyxander

alyxander Member

Just put in an order for the Large C4 NGen, will post opinion soon :thumbup: